Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods White Suspension, Undercarriages and chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rice n Beans Garage, May 28, 2013.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Anyone have photos of Hot Rods with White Suspension, Undercarriages and Chassis ??

Thanks in Advance

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

There was a thread on this already but i dont know what its called.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I've got some white going on. Was going to do the frame but decided the car will be black, so black frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

5. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1370098629.425888.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. F&J

F&J

here is a new hamb build from Verno30. I like it a lot. There is an old colored pic somewhere on hamb of a purple 32 full fender coupe showcar out in Colorado or Montana? I doubt I can find it.

[​IMG]

7. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

We built a drag race car years ago with a white underbelly and interior, it looked like shit by the end of the season, the reason was you could see more while working on it at the track with less light, that part worked but yuk. I don't see how you keep it clean.
    F&J's looks good!

8. F&J

F&J

In case someone thinks it is, That is NOT my car. It belongs to the builder on hamb; Verno30

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Back in the mid 60s a friend had a 60 Starliner He flipped the shackles and painted the rear end white so that it was visible from the rear. He took a lot of shit about it but he would just say beat it and I'll paint whatever color you want. It remained white as long as I can remember. It was frowned upon but he had the perfect come back.

10. customcory

customcory

I'm pretty sure I am going to paint the torque tube and stock rearend iin my 51 Chevy white, it will give somebody a surprise if they can see under it.I can keep up with leaks too.

11. Painting the rearend (just the differential) white was pretty common is SoCal in the late sixties ... it looked pretty nice with comp orange cars,

12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

here is my 27 roadster, Gary:D

Attached Files:

13. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

14. CGkidd

CGkidd

I plan on doing my axles white on my 50 stude gasser.

15. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a new 63 Ford Fairlane and before I'd had it a week I painted the whole undercarriage white. I was emulating some of the local guys that had done the same to their rides, a 62 Ford 406 and a couple of 409 Chevy's, this was SW Iowa, not sure where the idea came from, especially when most of us were on the farm on gravel roads far from a hard surface road. Makes me wonder how bright I was:)

16. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Hi; On My high school 40 Ford, I painted everything White under it with a brush, and I'm sure it was house paint I got from my Grampa. looked pretty cool, but that was 1969. THANKS Chris

17. turdytoo

turdytoo

I remember phrases that we used like "full chrome undercarriage" and "blown fuel Chrysler" that were dream descriptions. Painting the firewall or undercarriage was a inexpensive detail a guy could do in his driveway and fell somewhere between red and chrome.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

White body with blue chassis is the official color scheme of American competitors in Grand Prix racing. This dates back to the twenties and earlier when race cars resembled fenderless roadsters with the chassis exposed.

When Briggs Cunningham raced his Cadillac hardtop in the LeMans 24 hours in 1950 he painted the car white and the rocker panels blue because the chassis was not visible. But the blue rockers did not show up against the pavement especially at night, making the cars easy to mistake for German entrants (all white was their official color).

So the next year he painted 2 blue stripes down the middle of the car. This was the first use of racing stripes.

Some American racing teams did use the blue body and white chassis color scheme, notably AAR Eagle, Ford, Shelby and Scarab. So your white chassis does have racing precedent.

(When I started writing this I though America's colors were blue body and white chassis, then I looked it up. So the whole story is slightly pointless in a discussion of white chassis but I'm damned if I will go to all the work and not get a story out of it)

19. CGkidd

CGkidd

LMAO. Good story though.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rusty, Way back when when the colors were handed out did we ASK for blue and white, or get stuck with it? Maybe it's just me, but there are so many better colors that everyone else got. Bob

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Racing colors were first handed out in the Gordon Bennet races, 1900 - 1905. They probably got the idea from horse racing where each owner had his own colors for jockey's uniforms. Each entrant was to represent his home country. Car and driver had to come from the same country, only the tires and magneto could be made in another country.

The Automobile Club de France organized regular Grand Prix racing starting in 1906. They adopted the system of national racing colors.

They changed around a bit at first but soon settled down to France = blue, Italy = Red, Germany = white, England = green.

At first, whatever country's team won became the host country for the next year's race. But England had a law against racing on public roads so they had to hold the race in Ireland. That is how British racing green became the official color for England, as a compliment to Ireland.

American cars were competing in Grand Prix races by the early 20s if not earlier. In 1921 Jimmy Murphy won the French Grand Prix behind the wheel of a Duesenberg. In the late 20s Chrysler and Stutz finished in the money behind a Bentley.

I don't know how the colors were chosen but they were assigned by the Grand Prix organizing committee. The US came along after the single colors were taken.

All this changed in the 80s when corporate sponsorship took over everything to do with sports.

Men used to race for their country's glory. Now they die for a brand of cigarettes or condoms.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  22. i like my white axle. people ask.... why white. some just dont understand.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      287.2 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      231.2 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      219 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      214 KB
      Views:
  23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I am pretty sure I am going to paint the front and rear suspension and brakes the same Imron off white that I painted the Olds engine in already. I have never had one with a white undercarriage so I will probably do it just to have this one different than the others I have had.

It probably will take more upkeep, but Imron is pretty forgiving and durable, so that should help.

Don

[​IMG]

This is a friends 26 T that he built in 1969. I always liked the white undercarriage in it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  24. guitard

guitard

Loving the white underparts (hey now) with the whitewalls. Dreddybear, fine ride - what are those trim rings???

That Verno30 rod's slick...

25. The front axle & springs are white on The Moonlighter. HRP

[​IMG]

26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

By the early '30s German racing white had become silver, and that subsequently freed white for the USA. The Le Mans Stutzes were black, though: I suspect that that was during the transition.

It is not widely known that Belgium had a racing colour: yellow. Violet, orange, and black were never official national racing colours, as far as I know; nor, if silver was standard for Germany, gold.

(As an interesting but obscure aside, livery colours are derived from heraldic colours. There is neither white nor yellow in heraldry, as those colours are too easily confused with the metals argent (silver) and or (gold) respectively. The general rule is that tinctures (colours) are to be separated by metals and vice versa, except in the cases of charges and quarterings.)

During the '50s the Scottish-based non-works Jaguar team Ecurie Ecosse went a long way to establishing a very dark blue as the Scottish racing colour.

Corporate sponsorships actually started messing with this already from the mid-'60s on.

27. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

White is the official German racing color. They started using silver in the mid thirties, funny story how this came about.

In the mid thirties there was a maximum weight for Grand Prix cars. Every car had to weigh in before each race. One of the German cars came in a few pounds over. So they sent it back and the mechanics went to work to lighten it. They drained off the brake fluid, took some of the stuffing out of the upholstery, drilled holes in anything that wasn't already drilled to pieces. But it was still overweight.

So the team manager ordered the mechanics to get some sandpaper and sand all the paint off the car.

It made the weight, raced in bare aluminum and won.

After that they stopped painting their cars. Being a couple of pounds lighter wasn't much of an advantage but in racing, any advantage is an advantage.

Eventually bare aluminum or silver paint became trad for German sports and racing cars.

Violet is Egypt's official racing color. Cuba, yellow and black. Mexico, gold. South Africa, gold and green.

I got this from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_auto_racing_colors

so it is a bit modern for my taste. I like to think of Prince Birabongse Bhanudej, who raced in England as B Bira, establishing Siam's racing colors in 1935 (pale blue and yellow) because they were the colors of his girl friend's favorite dress.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

On hot rods or racing cars white is practical for the undercarriage. It makes things a lot easier to see and work on and it shows up oil leaks instantly. So if you work on your car all the time and keep it clean, it's great. If you are a slob paint everything black and the grease won't show.

29. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thanks, they're Calnevar Chromesides. Found em in the box and unused. Actually got em before I had the wheels, sorta made the decision for me...

30. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Gran Prix F1 racing had country colors and minimum racing decals. I believe it was 1968 when the organizing body allowed sponsorship logos and advertizing on the cars. That is when cubic money started to flow to the teams and things went crazy after that.

Ago