Register now to get rid of these ads!

White Metal Flake (Need Advice)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GAL60, Feb 11, 2011.

1. GAL60

GAL60

Hey Fellas. When I painted my Starliner I went with 63' Chrysler Dark Turquoise with HOK blue-green pearl in the mix. The roof was painted white with PWP pearl-white metal flake. The Turquosie came out cool but the white flake came out much too subdued. It looks like a very fine white pearl metallic. Not a bad color, but I wanted the "In-Your-Face" white metal flake. Does anyone have any pointers on how to make white flake "PoP". Different base color? Brand? Amount in the Mix? Any help would be great. Thank you in advance for your time.

2. aircoup

aircoup

ive painted it once and i had to use a brite white base and it took alot to cover too , its not one of those that pops much its kinda tame looking but clean really so if nothing else experiment on another piece with different bases like , silver or white or large flake even and see what happens and good luck

3. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

put silver flake over the top of it

4. GAL60

GAL60

Thank you. It seems not to many people use it, I guess that should have told me something. What brand did you use? Anyone use that Roth Snowcaine?

5. GAL60

GAL60

Sorry davidwilson, didnt see that post before my last.

6. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

yea thats a tough one, those white pearls can be very weak in appearance. like dw said try some differant bases, alot of times it just take some bench chemistry!

7. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I would try some silver flake and dust it with some candy white topcoat, so the silver shines through better. flake is interesting, I have done it a couple of times.

8. GAL60

GAL60

Thanks Guys back to the spray booth we go...

9. 157forj

157forj

I am new on the HAMB. I just painted the roof on my 1965 Sport Fury with flake. 4 coats of basecoat white, 4 coats of flake intercoat clear mixture, and 8 coats of clear. It looks dead. No sparkle or very little. We mixed a fine white flake and a .015 white flake together in the clear( which now seems like a bad idea)
    It is back to the drawing board. Going to try white flake over black or over silver. Then silver flake over white. (test panels)
    If anyone has had good results already I am also on the lookout for help.

10. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I used HOK abalone over white, in the sunlight it really pops, but if it is not in direct sunlight, it is a bit subdued. 4 coats of flake, 3 coats of clear.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 157forj

157forj

Nice wagon Tiki. Got more pics of it? I am shooting test panels for my roof re-do. Going to try black base with white flake, some different color shifting flakes over the white and silver flake over the white. The idea is have a white roof that sparkles.

12. cac646

cac646

I just finished doing my wagon with white basecoat, gold pearl and abalone flake. I am no good at taking pictures but the attached should give you an idea. The abalone will change color depending on the light, sometimes it's gold, sometimes blue sometimes green etc.

Attached Files:

13. Metalflake Mirra or Spindrift looks great over white...very light dusting.

14. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Candy white???? That does not exist. Use a big silver flake over a white base coat.

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

silver flake over white base will look like pepper.

I really hate it when people give advice on how to do something they apparently have never done.

When you give false advise... you cause someone to waste time and money, pretty shitty.

abalone flake is what you need.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  16. BISHOP

BISHOP

I'll take that bet.

17. here is the base coat for my roof on a skate deck.it's white base with with white flake with some blue in it.i can't remember the name of it i will look for it later.
    [​IMG]

18. Metalflake Mirra and Spindrift (both basically a very highly reflective silver flake over a white base) is very nice looking..10,000 of 1000's of cars were painted this way back in the 70's...just a light dusting-not thick.

19. toxictom

toxictom

roth snocaine and house of kolor ice pearls are a good mix...

Attached Files:

20. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

i have done it and i did like it, the guy wanted it to match his white glitter seats and it did. no time or money wasted.

21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

To me, Abalone flake over white is a great look for some sort of white Metalflake.

22. wesleyoldham

wesleyoldham

Never tried it but i read in an article after you spray the flake mixed into the clear and color sand it with 800 then clear it again it will pop more and the more you color sand and clear the better it will turn out.

23. '59DaddyO

'59DaddyO

Roth metalflake has a white metalflake called snowblind, its brand new