Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods White letter tires..poll

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Aug 25, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    19.9%
  2. No

193 vote(s)
    80.1%
  1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

pretty sure you can cut whitewalls into white letter tires. so there is one good thing about them

2. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

My 40 Chevy has the letting out, only because that's how it was when I got the set of wheels/tires. When I put new tires on it, they will be black out.

3. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I mounted them to the inside and painted the letters black, that is what I like for a hot rod. F9972EB4-E271-4705-925F-403DE096FEA8.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    bchctybob, 40FORDPU and guthriesmith like this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. Too muscle car.
    Okay... if it says Firestone, then maybe. The Firestone logo is like the Coca-Cola logo... kind of like art.
    But maybe not if your tires are Acme brand or something LOL.

5. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I like em on certain cars, just because I liked em in the 70's. Just plain nostalgia. ( Kinda like I like the raised ft end look from the 60's) I guess if I had never grown fond of them back then and they came out today I wouldn't like them...

bembry likes this.
  6. Or some HAMB friendly cheater slicks
    44C58204-311B-49EF-8EB9-2D7898894EB1.jpeg
    07A1FBDC-E7CE-4C0C-B227-5795824441DD.jpeg

bchctybob, Montana1 and Stock Racer like this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

anthony myrick likes this.
  8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

White letters out is like wearing brown shoes with a tuxedo.

9. I never realized until I started hanging around here, that raised white letter tires were so much not liked. I started driving (legally) in 1990 and raised white letters were what you did as a car guy. Turning them inward never crossed my mind until about 15 minutes ago. (The time I started reading this thread.) When I put tires on my late model Ram last year, I put the white letters out, the way the factory did when the truck was built. Now, I’m seeing the error of my ways and realizing how clean black walls look.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TheSteamDoc likes this.
  10. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Like anything else it works on the right car but not all cars, just like pin striping, wire wheels, stripes, mat black, chrome, etc.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

If we are talking muscle car then no! If it is old race cars then yes! [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Can't stand them on HAMB era cars! Bluh! Unless it's racing, just maybe. It looks wrong. Looks good on some newer stuff, etc. Just not on classics in my opinion. I think I'd vomit if I saw raised white letters on a '54 Chevy custom.

bchctybob likes this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Pictures.

14. 6sally6

6sally6

X-2!!!!!!
    6sally6

15. Acceptable white letter tires:
    [​IMG]

16. primed34

primed34

They look good on some cars but I won't put them on anything of mine.

bchctybob likes this.
  17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Fifty years ago on my new OT mid size Chevy RWL tires were at their peak and looked good IMO. It wasn’t long before the Cragars went on along with Mickey Thompson Blackwalls moving the Rally’s to winter duty only.
    I think they have their place on some cars and trucks of a certain era but not so much on anything that never came from the factory with RWL’s or when they distract from the wheels.
    By the time I was driving OT pickups and using BFG/TA’s along with using them on my 37 Ford they were always mounted letters inside.
    My guilty pleasure is redline tires....;)

chevy57dude likes this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I ran the white letters out, until the air shocks couldn't handle the overload of beer guzzling buddies in the back seat and the fender lip chewed the letters off going around corners. Then I turned them around.

Ah, the good old days..

19. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Yes but only if they have the correct look for the period of the car they are on

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. I would run these but generally I'm in the NO category.
    003.jpg

21. I just about lost it on that one! :D:D:D
    NO white letters, no www, no red lines, no blue lines, no gold lines for me.

I went to the local Tire Center a while back, to get a couple of tires for the hot rod. They didn't have the size I wanted in black wall, but the counter guy said he could have them by tomorrow.

They did have a pair of narrow white walls in stock that he tried to sell me for $59 ea. installed, but I told him I'd rather have black walls.

The guy behind me was the tire technician and got a little impatient and said, "Awe hell, just spray paint 'em, turn them inside out, and run 'em! That's what I'd do!" I turned around and looked and I swear the guy just crawled out from under a garbage truck some where!

So I turned back around, ordered the ones I wanted (only $54) and told the counter guy, "Make that carry out, please! I'll be back tomorrow to pick them up!" As I was walking out, I overheard the counter guy whisper, "That's his hot rod right over there."

I wasn't going to let that goon get near my car! ;)

Rickybop and ekimneirbo like this.
  22. We used to use tire chalk to purdy up the letters on tires without raised white letters. I remember doing it for a guy at a car show in the Cow Palace before raised white letters were popular.

You can still purchase white letter tires for trucks and i usually have to tell the tire guy to turn the letters in. I guess whomever wrote the wikapedia article has not purchased tires in a while. LOL

23. They look good on some only. I like this look.

https___i.pinimg.com_originals_d2_73_32_d273326010932d07ba4ad49421585b53.jpg

Montana1 likes this.
  24. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If they either gave or sold them to you for half price, you ran them as they preferred. Pete in car at Tenino.png

31hotrodguy likes this.
  25. Depending on the car, and in general:

New style tires: NO
    Old Style tires: YES

Rolleiflex and Tim like this.
  26. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I'm ready for small white letters to make a comeback, like the RaceMasters posted earlier, or like the 1970-72 vintage Goodyear PolyGlas GT, letters no more than 3/4" or so tall.

That 2" to3" tall stuff on modern white letter tires just sucks, even on muscle cars that came stock with white letters.

27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Y'all musta had more money than I did in the 60s! I bought "Big O" recaps. $9.99 for any size recap and any name or lettering was already shaved off. And I was glad to have em.........;)

Chicster and blkarw like this.
  28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 3" wide white Port-O-Walls have raised white letters (Atlas) on them;)...that's about the only raised white letters I can live with;)

Graystoke likes this.
  29. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Had white letter tires , just didn't look right soI bought a set of wide whites and installed today. Did my own mounting because a dumbest tire shop ruined a set of cokers I had back several years ago. 20200830_171604.jpg

Tony Martino likes this.
  30. 5window

5window

If you like them, run them. If you don't like them, don't run them. If it's not your car, even if it qualifies as a HAMB car, shut up.

ffr1222k, Bearcat_V8 and Deuces like this.