Register now to get rid of these ads!

History White inner fender wells

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

But my car is white.....now what?

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

Red! Lookit the white Buick Skylark...

drdave likes this.
  3. Had to paint them white on Taboo when my grandfather and I restored it. The entire underside of the car is painted white to match.
    13487890984_6668c26e6a_o.jpg

4. 'Mo

'Mo

How about...white?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The early trend of white inner fender wells in hot rods and cruisers came from show cars. The show cars had white underneath to show how clean and neat the displays were presented. Chrome stuff glistened in contrast to the white paint. The daily drivers that tried to paint the underneath fender wells made them look very neat and clean, too. But, one thing the show cars did not have that daily drivers always encountered, road grime.

It was such a pain to constantly get a stiff brush and a hose to get the road grime off of the white paint. At the time, there were very few high powered hose, spray wash businesses around. If there were, it was too far away or it cost too much to constantly use the hoses to spray off the grime. Sometimes, the high power sprays took off the white paint, too. We had a neighborhood high powered spray facility, just two blocks away, since we lived near the Westside Long Beach industrial/manufacturing complex. My friend lived in residential, Bixby Knolls, approximately, 5 miles away.

In our high school group of cars, my friend’s 57 white Chevy Bel Air got the white fender well paint job. That made the white car stand out a little better. But, the daily driving to school, job, and especially, cruising around, made the white paint look dirty and awful. When he did come over to my Westside Long Beach house, we used the local spray business facility to clean the fender wells. It was getting old very fast, so he wanted it to look stock again. It took too much time and effort to recoat the black paint over the white, again. So, it just took a month or two for the road grime to cover up the white paint.

Jnaki

My Impala had an extra, black undercoating sprayed after a couple of months since pick up from the dealer. (sprayed over the stock factory undercoating ) The 65 El Camino also got the extra black undercoating sprayed, just a month after I bought it. I was never tempted to paint it white…But, every time we went to a car show, we always commented about the cool looking white paint underneath the show cars and then smiled about our satisfaction. Show cars, yes, daily drivers, definitely no…IMHO.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  6. 'Mo

'Mo

(Photo: bballchico)
    [​IMG]

Cooon, 1947knuck, CGkidd and 5 others like this.
  7. verde742

verde742

Only thing better, :rolleyes:If she was doing it topless.......

8. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Janaki there were a lot of white wheel wells , and underneath. The gas tanks almost glowed taking a slow ride down the blvd.The first time I met Watson he had the t-bird jacked up redoing the gas tank ,from splashed water.

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

1947knuck, Dyno Dave, 'Mo and 4 others like this.
  11. 'Mo

'Mo

This was on another thread, but is just right for a bump.
    Edsel is near dead stock, but paint work makes it stand out...The black wheels mimic the grille cavity, while the white wheel wheels are the perfect complement to the quarter panel cove. Clever!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    1947knuck, CGkidd, Dyno Dave and 6 others like this.
  12. 'Mo

'Mo

The large wheel wells of a '53 Skylark display their color, even in back.

[​IMG]

1947knuck, Dyno Dave, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

1Shot-Scot, 1947knuck, CGkidd and 6 others like this.
  14. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER