Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Which way to go

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OZCAST, Sep 30, 2021.

1. OZCAST

OZCAST

Thank you! Great ideas

2. OZCAST

OZCAST

Ya, looking at it, you're right. I got a factory hood badge that could easily go in the dash. That's a huge difference

3. OZCAST

OZCAST

I might as well try. At the end of the day, I can always find a 2 door for cheap enough to do a body swap if I screw it up too bad. Plus if I do screw this one up, I'll have the new body off the chassis to do deal with the rust alot easier.

4. OZCAST

OZCAST

I've thought about that too.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That is my opinion too.

6. THAT is a Special, not a Super, my friend. And from the front , all body styles look the same with one exception.

Ben

7. southerncad

southerncad

Take a good pic of the front end and ask for help from the Photoshop experts here...

8. What I'd do.......Ist off leave it a 4 door, it is what it is. Remove emblems and nose/deck. Paint shiny black. Black wheels with small caps and black wall tires. Slight rake....just an inch or so. Sinister!

Jibs likes this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

You have the hot rod/high performance stuff already in place. Having come from a Buick fanatic’s family sinee a 1941 Buick fastback and all through the 50s-60-70s, we have seen most Buicks that rolled up in our driveway to the garage. The Buick dealer in Long Beach was all smiles from the first Long Beach dealer’s sale of a 49 Buick Roadmaster to the end Buick in the 80s.

The 4 door is a little stogy. My brother and I had tons of room to play on our long coastal drives while on vacation. Those 4 doors were great during out Baja Mexico fishing/camping trips during the mid 50s. But, when it came time to get a car, my dad offered his 4 door Buick to my brother for free. My brother declined gently and then went out and bought a 51 two door Oldsmobile sedan for his first car.
    upload_2021-10-10_3-53-35.png
    For rear seat passengers, there is plenty of head room and side to side comfort. If you have a big family or just a few little kids, the 4 doors are wonderful and your back will thank you in the long run. The design is there and if you are considering a body modification, take a look at a cool 50s style two door Buick. As nice as just filling in the rear door and making a simple two door, it should work, but you still have that squared off area at the back of the roof sloping angle.
    upload_2021-10-10_3-54-23.png
    The two door has a smooth transition that flows into the rear of the car and looks good. Yes, it is factory made, but with skills and good metal work, it could be done. There is still room in the big wide back seating area for small family members, but the access of the rear doors is gone…
    upload_2021-10-10_3-54-56.png

Jnaki

With everything that has been done to your 4 door, it could be a cool looking 2 door Buick for all of your cruising needs. YRMV
    upload_2021-10-10_3-56-37.png

OZCAST likes this.
  10. Jones St.

Jones St.

A padded Carson Top will look bulky. Put the car in an earth tone from the '50's in a semi gloss finish. Shine the chrome & drive it as is. 2 door? find one & build it. Re-inventing the wheel or change for the sake of change is not panning out.

11. OZCAST

OZCAST

Well, what life without major projects. Decided on the following:
    Got a 2 door jet back shipping in from MN, needing a ton of rust repair
    Going to body swap the jet back in this chassis once the body work is done
    Putting the 4 door body in the chassis the jet back came on. I have a '41 I8 (2) 2 barrel intake and the factory single carb intake, going to make a 3 carb intake out of those 2. Have the running I8 that came out of the 4 door. sticking a 700r4 behind it with GM 10 bolt I have.
    Grabbing 2 doors off a 2 door I found in texas and going to make the 4 door into a 2 door roadster. maybe a carson top at some point, but for now a full time roadster.
    Tons of work ahead of me, but I enjoy it and really stoked for the final results. Now, is there anyone in the Vancouver/Woodland WA that is good with cutting out old inner and outer rockers that will be willing to help me? basically let me do the work, just guide me and walk me through 1 side. I figure 2 days and $500 a day? I can do the trunk, floors, etc. Rockers have me a little nervous. I really, really don't want to mud the car if at all possible.
    Anyone at all? I have a shop and lift, welder, etc, etc.

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I wish...im about 4 hrs from you but with my newborn i dont think i could get away like that...dont forget when you roadster the 4 door it needs a ton of reinforcement!

OZCAST likes this.
  13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

↑↑
    Now @Squablow you've done that, shave the rear door handles

14. OZCAST

OZCAST

Ya, my plan is to make it a 2 seater and x frame just behind seat and plug the hole in the top

oliver westlund likes this.
  15. spanners

spanners

Seeing as how you asked for opinions, it's too low which makes the front end look like it's got an allergy and has swollen and ready to fall off. Either put the bumper and grille on a diet or lift the whole car a bit. A lighter colour would help as Squirrel suggested.

16. OZCAST

OZCAST

its 2 inches higher now with the Jag clip. This was when it was bagged. The bags failed just before the tow truck came. it was a total nightmare and ruined me for airbags. its all in springs now

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a tip;). NEVER oil the sheetmetal!
    The oil will permeate and contaminate the metal, especially the porous rusted areas,..and will make welding, priming and painting in the future much more problematic:(

SS327 and OZCAST like this.
  18. OZCAST

OZCAST

Since I'm doing all the body work now, I'm going to paint them both. I don't want to do all the rust repair, especially on the jet back, just to let it rust again. they are getting too hard to find to let it slowly rot.

19. Slopok

Slopok

When a woman wants to look thinner, she wears BLACK!

20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand, but there are much better alternatives.
    Of course there is spraying the whole car with some clear (with a flattener), but not everyone has the equipment/location/skills to do this.
    A cheap and easy alternative is this:

A buddy of mine had a rust/paint patina '46 Ford. He bought a gallon of (woodworkers) Deft Satin Brushing Lacquer and applied it to the whole car dabbing it with a sponge. It looked great (not shiny at all) and sealed the rust/paint nicely...and the bonus is, you can paint almost anything over lacquer:).
    The only thing was, the lacquer darkened up the surface rust a little when it was applied, but I'm sure oil would do the same thing.[​IMG]

Keep in mind, you never really own a car, you are just current caretaker...don't screw it up (oiled) for the next guy;)

WalkerMD and OZCAST like this.
  21. OZCAST

OZCAST

Thanks!

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am going to go with keep it and enjoy. Squawblows front end treatment and if you need to get the hammer and welder out just because , French some different tail lights on it and Bob’s your Uncle :)

OZCAST likes this.
  23. spanners

spanners

But if you want something or someone to look less imposing you go lighter.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I give you credit for doing that much work to a 4 door post. IMHO, the weight of the front styling is the least of that car's concerns with extra doors an posts. Doing a 2 door conversion would be my vote, even though it is an astronomical amount of work. If you don't have the skills or resources to do it, leave it alone, save your money, and buy a 2 door down the line.

OZCAST likes this.
  25. Cgrgrspt10

Cgrgrspt10
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love these old Buicks. Every one I spent time in the back seat of had four doors.
    The opposite of radius'ed rear wheel arch is a skirt. May want to ask for a photoshop with rear fender-skirt (if it suits you) and a chrome bar accent to totally fill out the rear pontoon. Maybe shave just the rear door handle (whacky?), or both. I love the character of the hood ornament and fancy emblem, and a little striping. (just my opinion).
    Love the car! Ask yourself do I want to be without it for the while it will take to extend the front door?
    There's always other projects if you feel like pounding metal and sanding.

OZCAST likes this.
  26. OZCAST

OZCAST

I've got a 2 door jet back on the way to do a body swap on. the 4 door will end up a 2 door roadster. That saves a ton of roof fab

27. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

I will add my 2 cents to all the above ideas. Make it a two door, lower the lid and you have a street version of Bombshell Betty. Love these cars.
    Yg9UFqLQ0Mc-copy.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    OZCAST likes this.
  28. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

Don't forget that turning that 4dr sedan into a roadster (Which I think would be really cool) will require reinforcements to the frame, or use of a convertible frame. I can see it in my mind, a 2 or 3 seater with a mile long rear deck. A very early thirties vibe!

OZCAST likes this.
  29. Leave it 4 Dr and cut the top off and build a Carson top for it, here's my Merc 4 Dr with a Carson worked out OK.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    © see info on the photos. (Rik Hoving Kustoms)

005 21

OZCAST likes this.
  30. OZCAST

OZCAST

Thanks my thoughts! I'll have to look and see where the re enforcement need to be. I was thinking I needed to re enforce to body, but not the frame. If I found a 50 convertible, I think I'd have to restore it back to factory instead of modding it up