Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical which way does a flex plate go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Oct 25, 2015.

1. I put the weights to the engine side so you dont see them..is this right? oh and this is a 455 olds engine..thanks

Attached Files:

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the center hole has a bevel on it it would point away from the crank.

3. Once the bellhousing / transmission is on you won't see the weights anyway...it looks like a adapter kit. Follow the instructions or call the manufacturer. If it's wrong you'll have starter engagement issues, or the convertor may get pulled out too far when the convertor to flexplate bolts/nuts are tightened down

4. squirrel

squirrel

looking at the picture of the flexplate off the engine, it looks like there is evidence that the bolt heads were on the side that is "up". and then you installed it the other way on the engine.

How does the converter fit on it they way you have it on the engine now? Do the pads contact the flexplate when the converter pilot is all the way in the end of the crankshaft?

5. i have two flex plates that were given to me your seeing one of them on and the other i have laying next to it...my engine didnt have one on it when i got it as it was used in a boat..i will check to see if it has a bevel on the center hole...i just thought there was a standard of weights in or out on install

6. squirrel you were right...looked at the second flex plate and saw bolt head impressions on the weights side...plus i found a picture on the internet too...so its weights out toward trans...not towards engine....thanks

Attached Files:

7. I thought that the bolt hole spacing dictated how the flexplate is installed?

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. They might look symmetrical, but they cannot be, on an externally balanced engine.

9. keyster

keyster

Take a look at the ring gear.
    One side should have relief cuts for the starter drive gear.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Interesting that the weight faces the trans; in Chevrolet's, the weight faces the engine (400 SBC, 454 BBC). The position of a dowel locating pin hole would help, as does the presence of a bevel that always faces away from the engine; otherwise, the flexplate would't seat flat against the crank, and would be stressed. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.