Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which tool for the job?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LeoH, May 14, 2013.

1. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Basic FNG question, but if I want to cut into a 4 door sedan for an El Camino clone, is it better for me to get a cutting wheel tool or a sawzall and why the one over the other?

2. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Traditional was either a hack saw or cold chisel, I think. Maybe cutting torches if someone was lucky. I think the number of different answers is going to roughly equal the number of replies.

3. Get a cutting wheel. Ive see too many newbies do some serious damage with a sawzall. Jig saws work well, just dont let them bounce.

4. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Get both you'll need both. Harbor freight stuff will get ya through. Cut it up!

5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

X2 - you may go through more cutting wheels, but you'll get a cleaner cut and if the sawzall "grabs" once, you've created more work.

6. Motomike43

Motomike43

BOTH. and a small Jig saw, and hand hack saw. I use the cut off wheel and the jig saw for the thin floppy metal and the sawzall for the Posts. Hand saw for delicate work.

7. if i was doing it i would probably end up using a plasma cutter , sawzall , port-a-band and a cut off wheel at some point during the process.

8. 63comet

63comet

Circular saw from some place with a liberal return policy with a chop saw blade makes easy straight cuts in floppy rusty steel.

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

4 1/2" grinder is pretty hard to beat. They made loads of disks for them; grinding disks, cut off wheels, wire wheels, sanding pads, foam paint/rust strippers. If you have nothing else you need to get one of these.

Sawzall is my second choice.

plasma cutter on a car only has limited apps.

10. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Thank you. I was thinking, like mentioned, that the cutting wheel would give you more control but being a FNG, I wasn't sure if you needed a separate tool body for the cutting and another for grinding and sanding.
    I never considered needed hand and jig saws, awesome.

11. The sawzall will be a lot of fun if you don't remove the headliner.

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

LeoH,

I see you have a nice Studebaker Lark Wagon. Is that the car you're planning to convert to a truck? If it is, maybe you should find another vehicle that's in rough condition. That way if project goes south , you have not lost much.

13. customcory

customcory

sawzall, tinsnips , cutoff wheels, I love my sawzall. use masking tape so you can see your cut lines better, straighter and closer to the line.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I use sawzalls for destruction, 4" cut off wheels if I want to do anything nice.