Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which steering columns fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagetin88, Jan 5, 2012.

1. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

I've got a 31 Ford with the Vega gear box mounted in it. What steering columns will fit the splines on the Vega gear box?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you do it something like this:

Attached Files:

• box.jpg
      box.jpg
      File size:
      69.9 KB
      Views:
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^^^ saved a thousand words right there.

4. You pick whatever steering column you like and get or make adapters to convert the Vega spline to whatever output your steering column has. I had to cut a rag joint off of my steering column shaft and weld on a U joint.Then I got an adapter for the Vega shaft from Borgensen and connected them with a shaft as shown in 49ratfink's photo.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Do what 56 don said..... Easiest way !

4TTRUK

6. vintagetin88

vintagetin88

Okie dokie. Thanks for the input. I've seen some of the joints you can buy and weld up. We were just trying to see if there was a junk yard combo we could find. I bet the 70's Novas had a similar spline count as the Vega. I guess we'll just find out.

7. I think that the Vega had a rag joint on the box originally and it bolted to the flange on the GM steering column. If you are looking for that then just find a 5/8 X 36 spline (pretty small)rag joint and bolt it to your column if it also used a rag joint.
    I have a column out of about a 65 Chevelle that I could have used if it would have fit my angle and distance but it did not co I cut the rag joint flange off and welded on a U joint. Does that help any at all?

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I used a pair of Borgeson joints, with a DD shaft between. For a 31 Ford, I'd go with a small diameter column, to keep the "look", but it's a personal choice.

4TTRUK