Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which states are "bill of sale" and no title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michiganman061, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

wow...titles are unheard of here in the north (Alberta), you can carve a bill of sale out on a napkin and it will be accepted...there are optional serial number checks you should do but for the most part...it's simple...(my 2 cents)

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Washington State gets involved on any car/truck transaction, and everything's titled; but I personally think all they want is your money. Buy an out of state vehicle, and you have to pay sales tax on it; just as if it was bought within the state. Try and claim a "too low" of a price, and they consult the "book", and a 6 level category description of vehicle condition. Anything to extort money. Butch/56sedandelivery.

irishsteve and Oldb like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and it has gotten worse since little Ti^^ ^^y got the taxes lowered but at least we don't have to pay excise tax on the tabs every year like we used to.
    But if the car has a good original Vin on it and you run it thorough the WSP inspection you can get a three year provisional registration and apply for a title after the third year. Has to be running and fairly street legal though.

The hassle here right now is getting title/registration on cars with fra^^es you built yourself. partially in thanks to so^^e clown with a Cobra Kit car fro^^ the word I got.

Oldb likes this.
  4. IRON

IRON
    from Florida

NOT in Florida. that is a fact.

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm NOT a big government guy in any way shape or form - but car titles are the one thing that having a national standardized vehicle title with a national data base that would cut down on stolen old cars.

These old car no title states - I'm damn sure there are some re-registered from a napkin Bill of Sale old cars that have been stolen for years that nobody has caught back up to them.

Here in Iowa - no title - to register requires a bonded title that's good for 3 years to claim ownership, which to me is not long enough.

lonejacklarry likes this.
  6. If you walk into a South Carolina DMV with a bill of sale and you don't have a title you are screwed. HRP

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

They changed it here in Alabama a few years ago, used to be anything 1975 or newer you had to have a title, now, it's a rolling 35 years old, anything older, even if it has or had one before, is no longer required. You can go buy a 1975 from the original owner and him give you the original title, and the state won't issue you a new one.

Stop and think about it, how many vehicles do you see on the roads daily over 35 years old? Probably not many, if any. That's why they changed it, not that much demand to tie up state resources. I've heard the cutting down theft ideas, while any theft is bad, there is much more theft of newer vehicles than old ones, and both are usually parted out so quick it doesn't make much difference anyway. A piece of state issued paper isn't going to stop a thief.

8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The only thing you will sell in Iowa without a title is a trailer weighing less than 1500#. I even tried to get a title for my 2013 H&H aluminum trailer when we bought it new (since it was part of a race team with 2 owners) and they wouldn't issue one since it was too light. When the time comes, it will sell with signatures on the back of the yearly license plate registration but will not have a title. Odd since Iowa is death on having titles on everything else.
    SPark

9. Kentucky was the last state to issue titles as a separate document from the tag receipt. We had a '72 AMC Hornet that we bought while we lived in Louisville and sold in '77 after we moved to GA where I am from originally. Had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it registered in GA at the time. Now that it's 47 years old it wouldn't be a problem.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

No titles here for any cars, only BoS.

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NC titles everything and if you buy a car without a title, you are likely to have to put a bond on it for 3 years. They will accept 3 years of registration tickets from states like Ga but they will come and inspect the car. If all the VIN numbers don't look untampered, you're back to a bonded title.

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Ct. does not "Need" a Title after 25 years BUt they now want Bill of Sales AND Last Registration. Also they WILL issue a Title at Registration IF you Insist on one just pay the usual fee this will help later if you try to sell out of State!Hot Rodders got the ruling on Titles changed for just this reason the Counter Person will not tell you that you have the right to a Title on their own though.

sawbuck likes this.
  13. triumph 1

triumph 1

This is correct but; the cool part is....
    With a bill of sale & a vin check you can apply for & obtain a title for a small fee.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correct. Back in the 80's I bought a "no title" '73 Ranchero from the original owner, who bought it new in Owego NY. Worried about lack of title, he went with me to the DMV. The DMV told us that a lot of small town low volume dealers didn't get put in the system right away...and if it was purchased before Jan 1 1973, no title was issued.