Register now to get rid of these ads!

which radiator/tranny cooler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nikwho, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nikwho

nikwho

A little help please. It is time for me to purchase a radiator for my '59 Apache. It has a small block and 700r4 tranny. I was going to purchase one of those cheap universal aluminum radiators from Jegs or the like. I have seen that other guys have done this. What would I do to keep my tranny cool? Do I need a radiator made for an auto?
    Thank you for the help!
    Nik

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. Ian S.

Ian S.

I'm curious about this one too. Building a 59 myself, using an 80 chevy 305 and a 2004r from an 87 el camino. My initial thought was to recycle the radiator outta the 87 eclo I scrapped out. Just build some brackets, think the width will be fine. Whatever you use, just make sure the radiator cap is the highest point in your cooling system, otherwise you won't be able to purge all the air out of the system. Just my 2 cents

3. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Get the stock replacement from Rockauto.com. They have the cooler built in. Might add you need the cooler to not only cool the tranny fluid but to heat it up as well. Keeps the moisture out of the fluid. Every factory external oil cooler also runs the fluid into the radiator after the the external cooler. Might be those high dollar engineers know something we don't think of?