Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which one to buy that works best??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marten, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Marten

Marten

Searched the net, read that this is a common problem with waternecks.
    Gonna buy a new one.....which one is best?
    Give me a link or better give me a link from Ebay? (thats the easiest way to order for me (Netherlands shipping etc))

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Stock Originals almost never leak.
    wouldn't waste my money on the aftermarket ones.
    KK

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Cast Aluminum is my choice. They are for auction all over eBay. The cheap zinc and Chinese manufactured chromed steel ones just rust through.

4. Chrome ones always seem to leak..I agree with KoolKat-57, go with stock/original.

5. I prefer the original style water necks. HRP

6. I had one of those 2 piece swivel water necks just like yours and it leaked like a sieve. As stated above the stock originals have a proven track record and if your really into having chrome GM offers them through their performance parts system. I know a few guys who have them and they don't seem to have any problems.

7. Napa carries a stock replacement. No leaks here.

8. bgaro

bgaro

another vote for stock, cast aluminum. last new one i wound up with had that weird o-ring style gasket under it, no good.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've used the O ring style before, but I put a gasket under them. The O ring is what usually leaks after some time. I've also put black RTV on them when installed and not had leaks. I prefer stock also, but not every installation can use the stock one if it doesn't point where you need it to.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If it is leaking where the housing touches the manifold, clean it up and put a ring of Permatex "The Right Stuff" sealant around there. We had a leaky chrome housing on one motor, tried double gaskets, filing it level, regular Permatex, nothing worked. We put The Right Stuff on there and actually forgot the gasket, and it has been sealed for 3 years now.

It comes in a can like Cheese Wiz, I use it for everything now, even intake end seals ........I toss the stock rubber ones and use this stuff instead.

Don

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  11. hankthebigdog

hankthebigdog
    from oklahoma

clean a stock one up and file the contact surface. New gasket. seems to work best for me. I have never had any luck with the o-ring ones.

12. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Stock/OEM versions work better AND "look" much better also..!

Mike

13. Marten

Marten

Problem is a can't use a stock one, cause my radiator outlet is on the other side. My intake is a 327 camaro, so the the oilfiller points up the other side. Radiator is for Ford originally.

So I have to go with the reversable one...most adverts are spooky to me, because they use terms that don't do justice to the real product. Thats what happend when I bought this one, I knew the problems before I bought it, just thaught I bought the right one the first time...not!

The most stupid thing about this waterneck is, I never drove any mile with this setup, still building.
    I don't even got a exhaust on my car, just headers....so car only started up a few times, just to try up the electronics, lights etc

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Have to go with stock myself. No problems so far.

15. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I have a 6 inch wide belt sander and flatten any I use no leaks then.

16. Not really hard to make. Do it out of stainless and never worry again.

17. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Could you turn a stock one(side outlet) backwards and use it that way.. I've done that before and worked out OK...

18. 6-71

6-71

I also could not use a stock GM part,on my Weiand 4-71 blower manifold,I think I have one of every water neck that chevy ever used,including the LT's and nothing had the right angle.I got a 90 degree chrome swivel one at the swap meet.It leaked from day 1.I marked the angle I needed,took it off and and JB welded it together.I put it on my belt sander and flattened the gasket area and used a bead of "right stuff" on it, and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

19. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I always use a stock cast iron one, and have it plated. Aftermarket pot metal or aluminum ones always degrade (oxidize) in the coolant passages and get eaten away.
    How about a replacement iron, or aluminum one, cut apart and welded to the proper angle, then painted or plated?