Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Oil Bath air cleaner on 49 F1?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott48F2, Dec 2, 2008.

1. my boss is trying to put the original oil bath air filter on his flathead8 49 F1 Pickup.... anybody have a idea what the original looked like from the factory? we bought 3 off of ebay and they all fit but look all different

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. i have a good feeling that the "gold" color one is for a InLine6

3. any of the morning guys able to help?

4. banjorear

banjorear

Scott:

Hard to say. F-1's had differnt carb. top than cars. It has a male triangular rim and the air cleaner has the other female half. Trucks air cleaners also had a bolt attached to the flange which allowed you to you hand tighten the air cleaner from the engine compartment (it sticks out) above the carb. I believe cars has a nut/bolt type clamp

Not sure which one is correct for you don't show the bottoms of the air cleaners. I believe trucks were black in color as well and not engine color.

I took another look at those pictures, I think I see the hand type bolt that I'm referring to on the one on the far left.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008

5. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Beautiful truck Scott! My father who is working on a 1950 F-1 / Flathead V-8, has a similar dilemma, although his carburator (brand unknown) is a sidedraft. We think it is Lincoln? He would like to purchase an original oil bath / sidedraft air cleaner.:confused:

6. Thanks for the help anything is appreciated!

heres the bottom of two of them..... the black one and the bronze color have the long key type and recess .... the black with red one just have a wing nut and no resess

Attached Files:

7. ohh and all three that i have fit on the neck of the carb just fine, i just wanna know which is or is closest to the original

8. Vorhese

Vorhese

Whats on mine. If he's going for stock, I don't think the bumpers or grilles were chromed in 49.
    [​IMG]

9. banjorear

banjorear

Well, then someone along the way changed either carb and or the carb. top. Truck carb. number were either 7RT/8RT. If you saw one next to a regular carb. top, you would know what I'm talking about.

Run it as is and keep your eye peeled for the correct ones if he wants to go 100% stock.

10. its going close to stock.... have to admit its got seat belts, turn signals, cd players under dash, modern style wipers (not vacuum), 12volt, wood only bed, and i know im forgetting a few others

chrome bumpers and grill work are more his taste... kinda his truck his cash (little over 20k..... Sacramento ford is a bit high in my opinion) his rules

11. here's a few other pics of the truck.... thanks for the nice comment 65PANELRAT

Attached Files:

12. banjorear

banjorear

Yep, certainly looks nice. Red and chrome fronts really dress these old girls up nice.

My pop also has a '49 F-1. Stock green color, about the same shape as the wreck in the beginning of Samford and Son TV show.

Cool stuff.

13. right on Banjorear .... when the boss gets back from being under a house all day ill get in his garage and id that carb and maybe we can make out what air cleaner belongs on this thing

14. ok i got some pictures.... i'll be honest this is the carb we got with the truck it might not even be the right one....

if this is the right carb whats the right oil bath air cleaner to match?

sorry all i had was my pda camera phone

Attached Files:

15. maybe a little help from the morning guys?..... trying to find what oil bath air cleaner belongs on our 49 F1 p/u

16. would any other pics or information help at all?

17. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

The carb isn't the original one for the truck. I am pretty sure all the air cleaners that you have are for a car.

If I get home at a reasonable time tonight I will try to take some pics of an original carb and air cleaner.

18. thanks fordf1trucknut appreciate all and any help on this one

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Carb Should say 8rt and have a different top with like said before, a triangle lip

That says EAB, so it's 52 or 53 car mabey 51 also

Actually the guy might be right about mabey 7rt, not sure

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  20. good looking out Shaggy appreciate the input

21. The pick Vorhese posted was what came on my stock flathead in my truck. The truck was very untouched but rough when I got it. Its still rough but very touched now:D

22. good looking truck Tiny thanks

23. banjorear

banjorear

Yep, truck stuff- especially '49 should be 7RT. If you had a carb side by side, you would be able to notice the slight differences between a car carb.

They are not hard to find and a good core should be $20.00. A nice air cleaner maybe another story.

Ain't this old Ford stuff fun?

24. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Is the '50 F1 air cleaner the same? I have one of those laying around somewhere that I'll sell you if your want it.

25. No problem. Good luck finding the right one.

26. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

This is the air cleaner that came on my 1950 truck, I'm pretty sure it's the correct one for a 1950, not sure if its the same as a '49.

It's in good shape, no dents, just very dirty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Every 49 and 50 I've owned had that aircleaner above.