Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Master for 1" Slave cylinder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fnla39, Feb 8, 2014.

1. fnla39

fnla39

I've done hours worth of searches and even spent time going over the catalogs at my local NAPA and have come up with little information.
    1952 Chevy truck using original pedals and up grading to power brakes under the floor, also have a bell housing from a 60's truck with 1" slave cylinder. The original setup for the clutch/slave is 1 1/8" to 1". Now I'm trying to match up a master cylinder to the slave. I've found a Toyota land cruiser master might work or even a 80's corvette master but can't say for sure.
    Has anyone come across this?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. If retaining the OEM pedals and slave cylinder, you need to stay with the same size as the OEM master or it will change the 'throw' of the slave. Bigger will increase travel at the slave but also increase effort, smaller will be opposite.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As pointed out in above post, with all stock components, you need stock sizes.

However, with non-stock pedals and/or some fabricated parts, it's not that simple. The ratio of cylinder size between the master and slave is only one factor. You also have to consider the pedal ratio itself. That is the length of the 'arm' from the pedal pivot to the point where the pushrod attaches to the pedal arm. Also, the pedal travel desired or needed in your application is a factor.

Once you settle on one or two of these issues, you can calculate the remainder, but with so many variables, it is not easy to just supply you with the answer you seek.

4. sport fury

sport fury

the two books i have found to be the best when it comes to anything about automotive brakes are. the brake handbook by fred puhn and engineer to win by carol smith. these books apply engineering concepts to designing, building, troubleshooting and repairing brakes.

5. sport fury

sport fury

best books for automotive brakes

Attached Files:

6. sport fury

sport fury

both books are available in pdf files online.

7. fnla39

fnla39

This is the clutch master cylinder I'm looking for. 1" bore slave cylinder. Has anyone used the clutch slave from a 60 chevy truck which is 1" bore and not the stock master cylinder? What did you use? Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. madmak95

madmak95

Look at a 1980'S jeep cj 7 clutch master . Cant remeber the spec on it tho.

9. Long ago, I made some hanging pedals, using '57 Ford passenger car pedals along with 1" bore '57 Ford master cylinders. I also used a stock Chevy truck slave cyl and as far as I can remember clutch operation worked fine.