Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which local authority do I need to ask?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Domino, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Domino

Domino

I am wondering who I need to contact to find out about local laws. I don't want to run outside mirrors on my car and I am unsure about local laws. I want to drive my car and I want it to be legal.

2. squirrel

squirrel

find your state government's web page, then find the part with the laws (statutes). find the part that deals with transportation, then find the equipment requirements.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that you need an outside rearview mirror on the driver side, as a minimum.

3. BCR

BCR

Drive it around and if it is not legal, they will contact you.

^^^^^That is a joke.
    Why do you not want an outside mirror?

I would bet it is illegal because it would be so unsafe.

Contact your local D.O.T. to find out if it is legal.

4. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

6 to one half dozen the other man, Its a catch 22, you're gonn run into trouble if ya don't As soon as you step out of line the cops will let you know what the laws are. I have no mirrors on my o/t driver and I have been ok for over a year. Heck man my 50 has no licence plats on it and no one seems to notice. Over a yaer on that one too. Just act like you know what you afre doin and if ya get busted bolt some on.

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

dude!

6. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

Internet site for the state you live. Most have the transportation laws listed.

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

What me??? Bet ya didn't notice till I told ya.:cool:

8. Domino

Domino

I am looking through the Alabama government page right now. This thing is not user friendly.

9. big bad john

big bad john

....I'am just wondering why would not want outside mirrors ?

10. Domino

Domino

This is what I found. It does not say it has to be external.
    Section 32-5-214

Mirrors.

Every motor vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle.
    (Acts 1927, No. 347, p. 348; Code 1940, T. 36, §37; Acts 1959, No. 292, p. 860.)

11. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

This one is wide open to interpretation.

12. squirrel

squirrel

so put one inside and don't worry about it.

And now you know how to find the laws.....

13. Domino

Domino

I should probably also keep a copy of this law in the car.

14. Domino

Domino

To answer the why, my car never had any. I like the look of the car without them. I did consider using those little clamp on mirrors. Thanks everyone for helping me find this.

15. Well, learned my 'new' thing for today.
    I always thought 2 were required.

16. In washington state you must have two rear viewing mirrors. Whether it is one left side mirror and an inside rear view or two side mirrors and no inside rear view.

Dude, you got a streak going there. Your time may run out sooner than you think. There's always some asshole cop looking for any reason to pull you over...

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Check yer state laws man, and know um. Nothing like beating them at thier own game.:D

18. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Oh I know, but ya win some and ya lose some.

19. I have an O/T car that never came with exterior side mirrors. Last time I checked, as long as the car didn't have mirrors when new, it's grandfathered in as long as it's street legal otherwise. Same with seat belts. Although, as others suggested, its the law of your land that counts. Sounds like the law you found'll allow you run mirror free.

Now, if I can just figure out a loop hole for getting my '34 certified without fenders...

20. go into your local cop shop and ask them or call you dept motor vehicles for your state. personally, i think it's best to have mirrors on whatever you're running.

21. Squirrel we are not as close to Calif as you are. No outside morror is required in the state of Missouri or in Kansas etc.

Should they be, well probably just because most vehicles have a blind spot or two. Does it make a car unsafe? Probably a matter of opinion, as opposed to actual clinical proof. It certainly makes a vehicle more vulnerable to accident if everyone isn't paying attention which we can't expect them to do.

Aside from state requirements you also have the local codes to deal with. So you can go to the DMv and find out what required equipment is but then you still have to deal with whatever locality you have to drive in. Example in the state of Missouri the law states that a traffic ticket must be written on the spot by the officer that personally observed the infraction. IE you can't send someone a ticket in the mail or write it at a later date. But in KC and several other municipalities they have put in Red light Cameras, they snap your picture and send you a ticket in the mail. The state hasn't re-written the law but the cities have written statutes allowing the cameras with the intent of ticketing the violaters.

Unless you are building a custom show car and can't afford to loose points for having an outside mirror just put one on. Its not that big a deal.