Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which housing ends are best for 9" Ford rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392_hemi, Aug 30, 2005.

1. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I'm building a new 9" rear end with Currie's 9-Plus Hot Rod center section, and would like to know if there's an advantage to one style housing end vs. another. The two choices seem to be Torino or Big Ford. Any experts on this? Also, anyone with experience with the 9+ housing? Looks well-made, and pretty close to an early Ford unit. It's going in an '29 A-V8 roadster (Brookville body).

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D

I have found that the big Ford is best......for me anyway.....

Lots more backing plates available and the axle bearings are everywhere...seals too.....I like 65 to 66 Ford big bearing backing plates......self adjusters, 11 inch brakes and the drums and parts are still available NEW......

:)

3. I agree the big Ford is what is used on trucks, so it is easy to get and everywhere in the junkyards. However I think the small pattern is same as an 8-inch uses, so you could get the brake pieces off an old 8-inch which is much easier to find than a pass car 9-inch

4. The housing you want is the '57 Ford 9" style one... and that is called the "Hot Rod" housing.

The 9+ is the beefier, Torino style housing.

I just bought one for my Model A...
    Sam.

5. How did you buy just the housing? I am sure they are sold that way but when I sell a 9+ setup, I sell it in loose kit form with housing,tubes and ends. We cut to fit to the customers car Then weld it up in the jig.

6. OK, I re-red your post. Yes, we sell the 9+ housing kit. it is very nice. Bearing are easy to get. Components are well made.

7. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I'm using the weld up hot rod kit with the center section that looks like the old '57 Ford center. I'm making up brackets to mount '36 radius rods, and am going to try using the ends of the radius rods for lower shock mounts. As far as the housing ends are concerned, it seems the consensus is to go with the big Ford bearings. That's a good thing because I'm planning to use the Wilson Welding '39 Lincoln brakes and they have rears that fit the big Ford ends. Thanks for the input guys!