Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Fuel Tank ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Aug 29, 2012.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi folks,
    Need your advice please.
    I'm after a new fuel tank to go in the trunk of my '31 Ford coupe project and I'm undecided between these two Tanks Inc. versions. The 16 gal (U3) one has a little more character than the 18 gal (U2) one but it offers a little more mileage between fills but looks too modern or S.R.ish.
    Your opinions please and feel free to suggest practical alternatives.
    Thanks, GB.

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Evidently having a lot of gas on board is important to you from what you mentioned. To me 16 or 18 gallons would be a lot to carry in the rear of a Model A, at 6.2 pounds per gallon you would be putting about 112 pounds of gas back there plus the weight of the tank.

I have never had a rod with more than an 11 gallon tank, and even with 4.30 gears I have pretty good range. But to each his own, and that is a decision you would have to make. Dimensions are also a consideration as you don't want to take up more room than you need to in an already smallish trunk.

For what it is worth, the 18 gallon one does look more old timey to me though.

Don

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The one on the right. I like the way its constructed.

4. Check out the Tanks 1933-34 dodge-plymouth coupe tank, link:
    http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=163/category_id=68/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd163.htm

This is one I am considering for a '28-29 Model A trunk. I used the U-3 tank in the bed of a '29 closed cab and was very satisfied.

The dodge-plymouth coupe tank has a fill pipe that looks like it would be better suited to use in a trunk. The two tanks posted by OP have fills that will take more reach to fill and thus more likely that a bit of gas might spill on your trunk contents. The dodge-plymouth coupe tank's potential drawback is the 37" width which is about the maximum you could possibly fit in a Model A coupe, and possibly could be difficult to get in or out of the trunk.

5. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Don you are right, I hadn't considered the weight issue. I was thinking of the time I might drive it across state as we don't always have adequate gas stations available when doing a long country trip here down under.
    Russ, the oval Mopar one is a consideration too, maybe the 37" length could be difficult to get in there, I'll make a cardboard version and try.
    Thanks again to all, GB.

6. Canuck

Canuck

Doesn't sound quite what you are looking for, but just for visual ideas.

This is a RCI tank with two imitation 50 cal. amunition boxes built to hold series 51 (Honda Accord) batteries. Still outstanding is a filler neck extension going up to the drivers quarter panel. Tank is 15 US gallons, 12.5 Imp gallons. Not too worried about the weight. The panel behind it is a sealed steel bulkhead that serves as a body reinforcment and fire panel. Sits on a rectangular steel frame mounted on the sub rails on each side.

[​IMG]

Canuck

7. I checked again and am now less concerned about the 37" width than the tank's 15" front to rear depth. That may be more problem for me (than others) as I am using stock Model A reproduction floor pan sheet metal. My center seat belt anchors are less than 15" in front of the riser for the rumble seat base. This makes construction of a bulkhead more difficult as separation of the interior from the trunk is desired and seat belt anchors would need to be below the front edge of the oval Mopar tank. A little zig-zag at the bottom of the bulkhead would resolve this but probably add to later final assembly difficulties.

The rumble seat base is 37" wide and maneuvering it (as loose sheet metal) in and out of the trunk space for test fits has not been a problem. The oval Mopar tank is generally smaller and its width should not be a problem.

8. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks again all.
    My latest thinking is a 14 gal U9 version, it shouldn't consume as much trunk space and also keep the weight down. Unfortunately it doesn't have the prefered look of the U3 series. I might consider a removable false panel in front of it which will also hide the battery and any other dribs and drabs around there.
    Regards, GB.

9. Ruddchevy

Ruddchevy

Hello GB

The tank on the left will fit perfect. I installed one in my coupe and centered it behind the seat after the upholstery all you see is the cap, not sure if I have a pic on my profile album