Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which event is better????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bb1970, Mar 6, 2011.

1. bb1970

bb1970

Which one is better to attend? Lead Sled spectacular in Salina KS.. Or Back to the fifties in Minneapolis. I can't go to both. Salina is closer. But Minneapolis has more to offer than Salina I'm sure. I'm sure my old lady would like to go to IKEA or some shit like that.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

More cars appeal to me at the KKOA Salina event even though the total numbers in attendance is lower.

The temps are more pleasent in St Paul in June then the stinking, swealting heat of Salina in July.

The night time cruzn action is better in St Paul, Salina is a park and sit in the hotel parking lots in the evenings.

The Friday night airport drags in Salina is the hotest side event ticket there is going for any event

Salina has more shop/garage type parties going on during the event.

Go to one this year and the other the following year.:D

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Depends on your "car slant"...meaning more of what you want to see...Salina is the Kustom Kar Kapital of the world that weekend...and St. Paul is a variety of cars...

I've been to St.Paul a couple of times...and while it's nice to look at 14,000 different makes/models/variations on a theme all in the same place, getting up and getting in line at 2:00 AM isn't my cup of tea...

Salina is a laid-back event...no hurry to get into the park, there's plenty of places to park on the grass...or the curb. True, you'll only see about a thousand or so cars...but it gives you plenty of time to study them and talk to the owners, plus there's plenty of celebrities that'll talk to you too.

Like HRLC said, do one this year...the other next...

R-

4. badshifter

badshifter

BTT50's is HUGE, and you have to weed through 8 million or so cars to see stuff I like. Kinda like reading a Street Rodder Magazine 1 foot thick. My choice is the Lead Sled / Salina, more to my taste.

5. bb1970

bb1970

I've heard that Salina is hellish hot. Is it at a big park or a big parking lot? I bet a hugh parking lot in July would misery.

6. Never been to Back to the 50's yet, But we have been to Salina many times and will be there again this year! Definatly a great time overall!

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Huge Park...with lots of trees...

So, what you're saying is St. Paul isn't hellish hot...??? I've been there...it's as bad, or worse than Salina...

Sounds like you've already made up your mind...

R-

8. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

KKOA is in a big park with a ton of shade trees, plus the show is right about the hottest part of our summer, bring a cooler!

9. bb1970

bb1970

No. I haven't made up my mind. But I'm leaning toward Salina. I don't dig real big events of any kind. They usually turn out to be a real pain in the ass. And it sounds like back to the fifites is a real big event.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

So how is Missouri in late July...??? Bet it's not any different than Salina as far as heat and humidity...

The St. Paul event is held at the huge fairgrounds...it has blocks and blocks of curbed streets...asphalt, if I remember correctly, so guess that makes it one big parking lot cuz everyone wants to power park on the streets. There is off street parking behind all the vendors...and there's plenty of them.

The St. Paul event is huge...it's almost like an NSRA Nats, or GG's Columbus Nats...you can find many different makes and models of nearly any car made there. For many years, NSRA held its yearly nats there before it was moved...

See you in Salina...

R-

11. yblock292

yblock292

KKOA in salina is great, Jerry moved it to the other park last year tons of shade plus lots of great stuff going on at night, I will be leading the pack from the kansas colisium that thursday heading north , great time had by all!

12. NoSurf

NoSurf

I have never been to Back To The Fifties. I would like to go sometime though.

I have been to the KKOA show here in Salina for the last 5 years, and every year it gets better and better. Sure it's hotter than heck and more humid than a...well, it's pretty thick. But as some have said, pound for pound, you will see more traditionally styled hotrods and customs per square yard.

I work about 5 blocks from the park, so if you have any specific questions about Salina, send me a pm.

Here is my thread from last year.

Here's povertyflats' thread.

Many more pic threads out there too.

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

50's get my vote

14. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Back to 50's, cruise from morning to late at night, blocks and blocks of tree lined streets.

15. Sprout

Sprout

16. I go to both every year and so do many others here
    just a bit of different flavor
    they both have shade, both have H.A.M.B. meet and greet

so get out and go somewhere and enjoy it:D

17. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I ,m a bit slanted, well been invoved for 37 yrs at 50,s but if I could I sure would go to the leads some of my best memorys are from the leads and its the people any way the cars are the catalist to get us togather 50,s can be very over whelming I think Kansas would be my choise hit 50,s next year just my take if ya make it to 50.s look me up I,ll make sure ya have a good one I,ll be there all weekend

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Your wife would spend more at Back to the Fiffties. Plus a Bus to the Mall. Alot of walkin and alot of cars. Salina on the other hand. More of a family type of setting. Where can you go to meet Bill Hines, Gene Winfield, Candy Clark from American Graffiti or many other car legends and not have to wait in long lines to do it. Both are events you must go see at least once.

19. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I went to both and of course live near Salina. I had more fun at the drags in Salina plus I knew a zillion people there which was fun. But I really enjoyed the weather and the Mecum auction at St. Paul. I plan to go to both again this year.

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

BTT50's is a huge event. plenty of cars for just about any taste. lotta cruisin' the grounds.

the best part is the friday and saturday night snelling ave burnout and cop heckling festival from inside the campgrounds... that my friend, is a must do.

21. Back to the fifties fer sure!

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

both are great. BTT50's is huge, but the venue is fabulous. Lots of trees and carnival style vending.

Salina is laid back and another great venue. The drags are a blast.

I am fortunate to attend both events for the past couple of years. I would hate to have to choose one over the other.

Salina is a draw for me because of my great friends that live there, but they also attend BTT50's, so it is a win either way.

23. bb1970

bb1970

Well we are going to Salina. With gas prices on the rise. And the old car getting 12mpg. We decided closer is better.

24. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

bb1970, i think you were the OP... so, here's the deal. i believe you're going to find the camps split pretty well down the middle on this one, with both sides really digging the other. there really is no better one. tis only taste, and proximity to your domicile. lol

with you being in buckner, (just a lil east of KC if i remember? its been a while since i went big truckin' from the twin cities to KC, but anyhow... i digress) you arent all that far from Nosurfs place. he hosts a really cool bbq and car show every spring, in april. turns his barnyard into a drivein, and shows a cool flick or two up on the side of the barn. lotta chow, friends, bench racin' and a pretty cool cruise if i understand right...
    anyhow, i dont think its more than like 3 hours if you run the toll road, maybe 3.5 if you drag yur feet a lil

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6238491

that thread has all the info, history and dirty little secrets about it. i've always wanted to go, but have always had shit going on. gotta work, furnace took a dump, recovering from surgury, WAITING for surgury... shit, its a long list. :eek: