Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Which engine to use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert graves, Jan 18, 2020.

1. robert graves

robert graves

I have a 1946 ford pickup truck and 4 engines , opinions welcome ,have a 1946 flathead v8, a 1966, 289 ford v8 a 1956, 354 Chrysler hemi and a 1957, 392 chrysler hemi, which one should I build and use for a daily driver

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

3. I had a similar situation
    I went with the cheapest option to get it on the road. Now I’m building the one I wanted 3 years later.
    Ask yourself which one you like the best for this build. Consider all the work and $. Which one fits your driving needs.
    Then make the best decision
    There are no wrong answers with those choices.

4. The most practical choice would be the 289. I'd struggle with the decision and then go with the 392. :cool:

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The 289 is probably your best choice for daily use because the flathead would overheat. But a '46 Ford P/U with a hemi would be fun.:D

6. That 392 is worthless, but I would take it off your hands....

mgtstumpy, Blue One, AVater and 3 others like this.
  7. robert graves

robert graves

I have a 32 pickup I bought with a 392 2 4 barrel set up on it that's insane to drive much ,it's a show and race machine

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. robert graves

robert graves

Good one lol

31Dodger likes this.
  9. robert graves

robert graves

I love the hemi look , wondering if I build the 354 pretty mild if dependability will be good ,with all the pep I need to cruse with a pretty high road gear

Blue One likes this.
  10. robert graves

robert graves

Besides I never built a hemi before ,would be a cool experience ,though pricy

Blue One and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. The only issue with a hemi is cost and size
    A stock 354 nearly 3 times the original hp in that ride.
    When choosing which engine, also consider the transmission.
    The 289 will not need any adaptors(unless keeping the truck trans) to use a decent auto or stick. The Hemi will most likely.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Hnstray likes this.
  12. The fitment issue with the ford is oil pan and filter location.
    This needs to be considered with suspension decisions.

13. Bronco pan,and Volvo filters.

14. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

15. Had a ‘57 392 (9:1 compression) and now a ‘58 392 (10+ compression) in my ‘51 . Two very different motors, totally different sound with the exact same headers and exhaust system. The lower compression was a nice smooth, quiet, but strong motor. The higher compression one sounds and runs more like a race motor is expected to do. For a daily driver, the lower compression motor is ideal and very dependable.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  16. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

What makes you think the flathead would overheat? There has been absolutely no information given about the engine at all.

hotrodjack33, thirtytwo, clem and 4 others like this.
  17. pkhammer

pkhammer

Size or type of engine does not automatically dictate overheating or streetability issues. Those hemis pulled around big heavy cars when they were new and did so with great dependability. Where we sometimes go wrong is the temptation to add too much compression, cam, carbs, etc and we lose the "daily driver" part along the way. I had a 428 FE in my '42 Ford (see avitar) that was built with reasonable compression, cam, and carburation and it ran strong but cool. Just right for a daily driver. Fuel mileage sucked pretty bad though.

18. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

19. A SBF can be built with plenty of power reasonably priced.

20. The flathead is probably your best choice for daily use because the 289 would overheat.
    Every SBF I ever owned ran hot and gave me problems... never had that happen with any of my flatheads.

In all seriousness those are all good choices!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    clem, King ford and Flathead Youngin' like this.
  21. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Bwahahahahahah anything but the flathead!

I'll be out to the house in just a few minutes with $50 to help you dispose of the boat anchor!

22. 392

Hands down either hemi.

saltracer219, 31Dodger and Speed Gems like this.
  23. I use Mopar oil filters on my 351W, the diameter of filter is the same as the o-ring diameter, and filter isn't as long as the short Ford ones. Can't remember the OE application; I'll get filter number next time I'm in the shop.

24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Aren't flatheads known for overheating?

25. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Whooooooah, now! Let's show a little respect 'round here and take a step back. When you're dad was just a glean in your grandpa's eye, the flathead was ruling the street, strip and salt. I even heard we went to the moon waaaay before 69 and take a guess what was powering the rocket. You guessed it, a flathead V8....21 stud, mind you...the 100hp wasn't even out yet or they'd probably went right on to Mars. So, put your hand over your heart, then muster up a good salute for the 'ole flatty.

Uribe and hotrodjack33 like this.
  26. I guess they do overheat like any other engine not set up properly.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

SBF can also use a Toyota oil filter for the 20 R motor. Purolater Pure one number is PL10241 very small and short.
    As far as a daily driver the 289 will run the truck around until you can build the 354 Hemi if that's what you really want. It must be or you wouldn't have saved 2 of them.
    You can buy a stroker kit for the 289 and make it a 331 and it will run all over both of those Hemi's in street tune. You can buy a good stroker kit for a little more than a standard rebuild. My 289 did not require grinding the block for clearance.

catdad49 and ffr1222k like this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Hemi's are always a good choice for power and cool factor

Speed Gems and 31Dodger like this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If want to open the hood....put a hemi in it... You can't see the other 2.

razoo lew, Speed Gems and rod1 like this.