Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which drags are better, Indy Goodguys or NHRA Hot Rod Reuinon (Bowling Green)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leadsled51, May 11, 2006.

1. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Just wondering which one gives you a better bang for the buck. NHRA will cost me and the family about 130 bucks to get in, but are the cars and racing better? This is NOT a bash Goodguys post, so dont do it, I just want to know which one of the two is better. I don't think I can afford two shows right in a row, so give your opinions please. Thanks.

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I like them both. In my opinion, GG has a better car show but the NHRA Bowling Green has better vintage racing, just my .02:)

3. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Many of the same cars will be at both races. I prefer the Bowling Green track because, from a spectator standpoint, you are much closer to the action on the track. Indy is great but it's an nhra national event facility and doesn't have the atmosphere of Bowling Green. I'd do both if I could, but its just not practical.

4. CHHR (Bakersfield) is the best for the "fast" cars. Diggers, roadsters, coupes, etc. BG is the best for hot rods, there were a gazillion of them last year. I loved em both. AT Bakersfiled last year there were some 50+ cackle cars.

5. Indy's a little bigger.
    Swap meet's WAY better than BG(or was last time I went).

Both places can be miserably hot and humid. :(
    Both places can be a bitch to get in to/out of(BG probably is a little worse)

but.........Bowling Green has a vibe....... smaller, more home-y, laid back :cool:

And Indy DOESN'T have a cackle-fest.

my two centavos......:)

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I agree with Mr. Schieb. BG has a certain feel to it... like you are back in time. The bleachers are covered and it has that old timey feel. If you've seen one GG show, you've seen them all.

7. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

For Atmosphere definately Bowling Green! I live right by Race Way Park here in Indy. I love the drags here but the close proximity of the track at BG and the covered awnings over the stands it just suits the cars for a nostalgia drag race. My dad always talks about going to BG every sunday with his buddies growing up so it was really neat to finally go there and see what he had always talked about. I am in the midst of finising my car so I will definatley be at GG here and will probably be forced to miss BG due to money issues as well. If every thing is going well with the car it may be a possibility of camping at BG just to keep the cost down.

8. Rusty

Rusty

The Dirty's are going to Bowling Green

9. I've been to both multiple times

Indy GG's:
    (-)Rained every year I've been; killing one day.:(
    (+)Big swap meet:D
    (+)Lotsa room
    (+)USAC midgets run at night:D
    (-)More street rods (gc'ers) than hotrods:rolleyes:
    (-)Longer drive (for me)

HRR BG:
    (+)More "intimate":eek: small town feeling
    (+)Up close and personal to the track and cars
    (+Shade (some)
    (-)Bitch getting in and out if you go/stay late:(
    (+)More and varied vintage drag cars each year
    (-)Becoming crowded (#@%!!* golf carts):mad:
    (+++) CACKLEFEST:D

AND THE WINNER IS.......................HRR/BG :cool:

disclaimer: This is MY opinion and YOURS may vary:p

10. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

try the hamb drags at mokan and save some dough too!

11. brandon

brandon

bowling green ......its a lot more laid back ....plenty of trees and shade...they have the pool for the kiddies....hell , they have the amusement park on the grounds.....i've been skipping indy lately .....but haven't missed bowling green ....hahhah brandon

12. racer5c

racer5c

I live in Indy, I'm going to Bowling Green, not even sure if i will go to GG's Indy if that answers your question

13. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I've been to both, as well as Bakersfield. Best bang for the buck is Bowling Green. You get that old-timey feel there. You're close to the track, covered seats, fair priced food, etc. But... Hard place to get in and out of... no hotels available, ( i have to camp @ the campgrounds).
    I used to go to Indy, but not anymore. Overpriced everything...

Spoons:D

14. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

(-)Becoming crowded (#@%!!* golf carts):mad:

NHRA has cracked down on the use of scooters, mini choppers etc, and severly limited where golf carts can be used for this year's event. That ought to make it much less crowded in the vendor, swapmeet and show car areas. In the registration packet they threaten impoundment for carts that are parked and obstructing the flow of traffic. I'll still bring one 'cause it's a long ways from the far reaches of the pits to the staging lanes, and I can't drive it to the line anymore. Much of the problem comes from carts that are rented at the track, don't know if they're still doing that.

15. brandon

brandon

(#@%!!* golf carts)

don't even get me started on that subject.....leave them at the golf course.....

Much of the problem comes from carts that are rented at the track, don't know if they're still doing that.[/QUOTE] i hope not....about toasted my anglia at indy a few years back .....following a caravan of those electric suckers.....brandon

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Apples and oranges

Goodguys=a huge car show with a drag race attached

NHRA=a drag race with a car show attached

17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

cackel-fest is worth the price of admision alone. bg:cool:

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

If you are a gasser lover, the Gasser Gathering area at the Goodguys event is worth the price of admission alone.

Yes they are being allowed to "cackle" their cars all weekend.

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Dig this:

HAMB Dragsters Coming to Join Indy Fun

Fun. That’s what drag racing is all about according to Owasso, Oklahoma’s Ted McCord who drives a HAMB Gas Rail dragster. What’s a HAMB Gas Rail dragster you ask? According to McCord it’s “an economically favorable way to build a race car, race it and have fun.” McCord and his “Ramrods” team will square off against their Oklahoma rivals “The Hornets” in an old school “match race” in their funky, yet oh-so-cool Gas Rails at the upcoming Goodguys 18th Hot Rod Nationals presented by Advance Auto Parts, June 9-11 at Indianapolis Raceway Park.

HAMB stands for “Hokey Ass Message Board” and for the last 10 or so years it’s been a daily e-garage for do-it-yourself, traditional hot rodders to trade ideas, swap parts and shoot the breeze. Naturally, when you get a bunch of gear heads together be it online or elsewhere, competitive juices begin to flow and racing is just part of the deal. The HAMB Drags, a brain child of the HAMB crew were first staged a few years back at Mokan Dragway on the Kansas/Missouri border.

“Our team – the Ramrods, are from Owasso, OK which is a northern suburb of Tulsa. We run a flathead in our rail and put our car together with parts our club had lying around in our garages. The Hornets gang is from Broken Arrow, OK which is a southern suburb of Tulsa and so the rivalry goes,” McCord said. “In fact – they won’t even let us know who their driver is going to be at Goodguys Indy. We heard they’re gonna get them a little ol’ girl that doesn’t weigh more than a hundred pounds!”

The Indy HAMB Gas Rail match race should be fun indeed!

Here’s a look at the HAMB Gas Rail “guidelines”:

1. Stock or modified stock frame rails, rectangular tube or round tube 3'' diameter or larger.

2. Stock width front axles and rear ends only.

3. All cars must be equipped with a minimum four point roll bar of 1 3/4" tubing with a main hoop higher than the driver's head and 2 support bars down to the frame towards the firewall. Tubing must meet NHRA minimum wall thickness for application.

4. Cars with keyed axles must use hub safety retainers.

5. Closed drivelines are encouraged. If open driveline is used driveshaft must have a 1 1/2" x 1/4" "driveshaft loop" within 6 1/2" of front and rear universal joints and be totally covered/sealed off from driver with steel or aluminum floor pan.

6. Cars must have cowl or body and proper floor boards/belly pan to prevent driver's legs from exiting vehicle in event of a crash.

7. All cars must have a firewall.

8. No "slingshot" chassis. Driver and engine must be positioned between the front and rear axles.

9. Cars must be equipped with an engine mounted starter and be self starting.

10. Batteries must be securely mounted in a tray made out of angle iron and have 3/8" studs or bolts with a 1" x 1/8" or larger strap across the top.

11. All cars must have a master battery cutoff switch accessible from outside the car.

12. All cars must have at least one red rear running light for night racing.

13. Flathead v8 or inlines, pre 1962 inline engines with stock cylinder blocks only. No OHV V8s or V6s.

14. Engines must be naturally aspirated. No superchargers, turbos or nitrous oxide.

15. No electronic ignition boxes that mount outside the distributor or "coil in cap" HEIs. Conversions such as "ignitor" or "stinger" that fit within a stock dist cap are allowed. Aftermarket magnetos not allowed.

16. Pump gas/racing gas only. No Methanol, nitromethane, or alcohol.

17. Era specific carbs only, stock appearing- no modern Holley, Edelbrock, or other aftermarket carbs.

18. Fuel lines can have no single rubber piece longer than 24", must be fastened by hose clamps, not hard or cracked.

19. Cars equipped with a cooling system or water tank must use a radiator cap and overflow/catch can system.

20. Automatic transmissions are allowed, but NOT encouraged (this rule could change next year as we really like to see three pedals). All automatic transmissions must run STOCK torque converters. All cars with clutches must run a stamped steel bell housing or a 1/4" scatter shield.

21. Cars must have rims no wider than 5.5" and only bias ply street treaded tires allowed. No radials, slicks, or cheater slicks allowed. Tire tread width must measure no more than 6".

22. Drivers must wear full face helmet, single layer (or more) fire retardant jacket or suit, jeans (or fire retardant pants), and leather shoes.

23. Five point NHRA approved safety harness required.

24. All cars must be of general soundness and safety. Must have all lug nuts, sound steering, cotter pins in place, and heim ends "captured" etc. Must pass all tracks general safety rules.

25. No electronic/pneumatic drivers aids such as rev limiters, two steps, shift lights or electric shifters. Tachometers are allowed if they don't have a rev limiter or a shift light.

26. Cars must be built in the spirit of the "Bug" and other early rail jobs. If ya aren't familiar, ya better ask...

20. Been to all of them at both places. I agree with 40 Standard

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I have been to both many times and Bowling Green blows Indy away. BG is twice as far to drive for me but worth every extra mile although the golf carts in the show car area does suck big time. Hopefully the powers that be will have taken some hints regarding the situation and it will be rectified this year.

Rooms in BG are half the price of Indy.
    I feel even though there are less cars in BG that the type of cars that are there suit my sytle better.
    Lots more trees in the show area in BG too.
    Bowling Green as many more advantages but you get the picture.
    See ya in BG:D

22. Anyone have any dates for this Bowling Green event next year (2007)? I am planning a trip to the states for about 6 or 7 weeks and want to make sure I take in as many events as possible across the whole country...and this definately sounds like one I need to be at :)

Cheers,

Paul

23. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Thanks to everyone who responded. And thanks for not making this a bash post too. It sounds like I'll give BG a try this year. I've went to Indy the last 4 yrs and thought I would try something else this year. Wish I could go to both, but the cost of gas forces me to cut back a little.

24. Mutt

Mutt

After several years of sitting in the staging lanes in the roadster, suited up and watching the black clouds roll in, while Goodguys used the strip to parade trophy winner street rods, which resulted in the racers not getting the final runs in because of rain, which resulted in the money being divided between 4 - 8 contestants, I never went back.
    They stopped the races one year to send off the caravan of hot rods driving to the west coast - apparently it was important to use the return road at the strip for that.
    The capper was being told that "we are there to provide entertainment for the show car people" by Goodguys, and in effect, told that if we didn't like it, too bad.
    As a racer, the HRR is the one to go to.

Mutt

25. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I think the dates for HRR will be set permenatly for Fathers Day weekend..:D Thanks, Wally..

26. Aw c'mon Kirk.....:rolleyes:
    Come to Bowling Green---you'll feel differently. stay at my place with Roadstar and Hotrodladycrusr, ride up with us, etc. I'm serious.

27. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

The hot rod reunion dates for Bowling Green, KY. are June 16.17 and 18. Fri. Sat. and Sunday. I just got my credentials for HRR in Bowling Green, KY. in the mail yesterday. I live about 10 minutes from IRP where they have the Goodguys run so I go every year because it's so close to home. I enjoy the drive to Bowling Green, the cars there and the atmosphere a little better than Indy goodguys. If I had to choose just one to attend it would be Bowling Green. Not a knock on goodguys because they do have a better swap meet and more cars to look at. I just enjoy the small track atmosphere a little better at the HRR.

28. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

not to mention the go-kart races Fri night..:D Sparky

29. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

You guys are gonna KILL somebody with them dang gokarts!!!!:eek: :D

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

Shit, if I could I would, but it would make it my fifth week on the road. I know it's a killer event, but I need to stay married.