Register now to get rid of these ads!

which brand wiring harness do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i want to rewire my car at some point,,,,i have never done a complete rewiring job, but im determined to do it....i know there are many different brands to choose from,,which one do you guys prefer and why?,,,i need a pretty basic one,,as there will not be a ton of accessories,,,,i know ron francis for example, is pretty expensive compared to some of the others,,is it worth it? i am looking for the easiest one to install,,not necessarily the cheapest,,although im not against saving money by any means!!,,,:D

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i've always had good luck with ezwiring.

3. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

i used an American Auto Wire kit in my 55, came with everything, detailed instruction...it was an easy kit to install, it was also my first rewire job......BUT......now i know how easy it really is to install an entire wire kit....im using a Rebel Wire kit next time (Alliance Vendor) and saving the money, its alot easier then you think to rewire it.....

4. phukinartie

phukinartie

same here

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Get with Glenn and get a Rebel Wire.

6. chop&drop

chop&drop

I went with Ron Francis and have been very happy with the outcome.

7. Mudville

Mudville

ditto on the Ron Francis harness. Used it on a 51 Fleetline with a tuned -port. Used a computer and related harness from Street and Performance and have been real pleased with it as well.

8. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

I have a huge collection of late model harnesses that I pick from and then modify to fit whatever project I have going. I like freebies.

9. Terry

Terry

Of all the ones I've used, I think Centech would be my favorite.

10. I've used them all and made my on harnesses,,,but I've been at this a long time.

and for my money American Autowire is the way to go,not the cheapest but IMHO it's the best for me,,everything you need is in that kit,nothing else to buy.

In the last 4 years I have installed and help install 7 of these kits,,and within the next few months we will be using one in the 33 chevy and I have one for the 54 Wagon when it is ready. HRP

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Rebel Wire...period...end of discussion...

12. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

I use to work for Kwik Wire for about ten years before going to presue other hopes and dreams. I built, sold and installed their harnesses since I was 15... So I would go with them, but maybe I'm a little impartial :rolleyes: I still help them at the Jefferson, Iola and Back to the 50's shows.

In all fairness, I still think they make a great product for a great price and if you need help, they are a phone call away. Your also talking to the guys that build them when you call.

13. Algon

Algon

I like to make my own but I'd choose based on how much stuff you plan to run electrically and what kind of car you are using it in. Many dune buggy places sell a cheap harness that works great for most bare bones rods.

American Standard is good for the price or Ron Francis (though expensive) but anything is better than Painless. Painless is anything but, even the "direct fit" stuff is just "worthless" which what I call them. The last kit I did on a 65 GTO the only thing correct on it was the firewall transfer plugs. Everything else had to be completely torn down from the main block and redone. People call me bragging about having one and how fast/easy it is to install all the time when they want one done... I either charge extra or offer for them to do it since it is so easy. Not that its actually hard but they are just such a cluster f*** of ill thought out bundles, I'd rather start from scratch.

14. What kinda car. American Auto wire is a plug and go on most of theirs and you can get the Packard style fuse box. The others are cut to fit and the Packard style fuse box. $0.02

15. butch27

butch27

DO NOT BUY: It's a Snap, More like It's a Crap.

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

You are in the right place for the Rebel Wire kit . That is all you need to know ! Give Glenn a call and he will fix you right up !

17. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I used a Rebel on Missy's car and I f$)!%) hate wiring.
    I still hate it, but I'd use another Rebel kit in a minute.

18. hotrodder3

hotrodder3
    from maine

i like its a snap--they give you great service --plus their tech guy is super helpful with your questions--i would use their harness again

19. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

The dude at Rebel wire was super cool with helping me out a couple of times. Made the job easy, great product.

20. roseboystoys

roseboystoys

Absolutely Kwik Wire. High quality product. Very reasonably priced and extremely helpful.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have installed 7 Kwik Wire kits and 2 American Auto Wire and they are well done-but I'm going to try the Rebel guys here on the HAMB next time

22. I went with Ron Francis after looking at ez and painless. Ron Francis has been an excellent product. Well made and looks good too.

23. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

used a factory GM harness / fuze block out of a 60's vintage donor car

they look cool

ron francis and ididit are ..............

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  24. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Jim, I use EZ, cheap and they make little fusepanels the size of a cigarette pack. Oldnewparts on ebay.

25. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

wiremaster from affordable street rods is great.
    rich is the owner, builder, sales and tech!!
    he is always very helpful with any questions
    and is a superior product. have used them in
    several cars and is my only choice!
    www.affordablestreetrods.com

26. moter

moter

American Autowire is the best that I have found. Very complete and detailed instructions.

27. Edian

Edian
    from Idaho

I'm gonna do what turbohaddix did, go pull one out of a late model car, just mark and pull..... you might have to extend on cut down some of the wire's but whatever.... and like him im gonna do it because i can get one for next to nothing..... that'd be the best IMHO

28. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Rebel Wire. No headaches. I followed the instructions and fired the engine on the first try.

29. i just ordered a rebel kit, used some others and made my own before. the reason i made my own was 1 the car had very little to wire and 2 i wanted to use glass fuses and fabric covered wire.

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

How the heck long does it take to pull a wiring harness from a late model vehicle?!? With those firewall connectors and all that?!? I mean more power to ya, I love cheap, I just don't think I could do it that way.

I used a Rebel Wire , my first kit and no problems.

If I had more money I'd use a American Autowire highway series in a heartbeat. I examined that at the GNRS. Just beautiful quality, american made components, comes wtih everything you'd want to replace at the same time like ignition switch and dimmer switch, etc, and they break the install down into different sections or 'bags'. I believe after yo do the first one you have a running car, then lights, etc etc. Just a really great design. Can you telll I'm impressed?

The rebelwire is great for the money but you have to buy all your own connectors.

The american autowire you can even rent a fancy crimping tool from them so all of yours are uniforrm and perfect. It even has a bunch of hte wires already terminated for you to save time!

I'm pretty fast at doing that now, but it wasn't till the end of my install that I could cut, strip, crimp, solder, and heatshrink tubing to a connector in mysleep.

While i was doing it I replaced my headlight sockets and taillight sockets, which made a big difference.