Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which axel should i use, chevy 53

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Friddeman, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Friddeman

Friddeman
    from sweden

Hello, I was wondering what rear axle with disc brakes that fit best on a 1953 Chevrolet. At the front I am considering to use a jaguar front axle. is it a good choice?

//Tony Sweden

2. Friddeman

Friddeman
    from sweden

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

I sold my '68 Camaro 10 bolt rearend to a guy who installed it in a '53 Chevy. Very popular mod in Ca. CPP sells a rear big brake (12" rotor) disc brake conversion kit for it. You will need 16" wheels to clear the calipers. I replace the '68 Camaro 10 bolt with a far superior '74 Nova SS 8.5" with 3.42 posi. The CPP rear brake kit with disc brakes also fits the Nova 8.5" ten bolt. CPP uses a Lincoln Continental style ebrake system.

4. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Look into an Explorer 8.8" rear, comes with "hat rotor" disc brakes, with the parking brake built in. I believe they came in different widths,.....so have a tape measure handy.
    4TTRUK

5. Friddeman

Friddeman
    from sweden

Okay thanks a lot, more suggestions? =)

6. Friddeman

Friddeman
    from sweden

40FordGuy which model year?=)

7. The Ford rear will have a different wheel bolt pattern on it than the Jag. Probably what you're going to have the best chance of actually finding in Sweden is a later Chevrolet S10 Blazer/Olds Bravada/GMC Jimmy (may also have been sold as an Isuzu) 4x4 rear, which will have the same wheel bolt pattern. It's the right width, you just need to move the spring perches. 1990s, early 2000s, doesn't much matter.

8. Harris

Harris

Got my 10 bolt out of an '82 Camaro, fits well - and there are plenty of disc brake kits avail.

9. '82 is too wide. The Camaro rear that fits easy is second-gen, 70-81. I had one in my '50 before I sold it. They're an inch or so wider than stock, but the perches match up as-is. Those could be had factory disc brake, but I figure the odds of finding one in Sweden are going to be pretty slim.

10. Friddeman

Friddeman
    from sweden

Rustynewyorker, thanks, chevy s10/blazer sounds great, will install 4link & air suspension also. I also think it will be difficult to find a camaro shaft in Sweden =) Excuse my bad english.

Do you have any experience with jaguars front axle? Will it be a good fit?

11. Friddeman

Friddeman
    from sweden

Rustynewyorker, thanks, chevy s10/blazer sounds great, will install 4link & air suspension also. I also think it will be difficult to find a camaro shaft in Sweden =) Excuse my bad english.

Do you have any experience with jaguars front axle? Will it be a good fit?

12. If you can find a Jaguar XJ front suspension from 1973 to 1986 it's a pretty easy install to the front of the Chevy. Just unbolt the stock front end, the Jag comes close to matching up, photos I've seen they add a couple of wedge shaped plates to the crossmember and you can make it so it bolts on if you want, or weld it up.

13. 67coronet

67coronet

mine is a 72 Nova rear. Worked perfect!

14. Friddeman

Friddeman
    from sweden

"Rny" yes i have found a complete jaguar xj ,its costs 4000sek = 558usd =) it will take the front axle and sell off the car.

Will the use of jaguar xj front axle & chevrolet s10 rear axle with 4-link, it will be a good setup?

15. gwarren007

gwarren007

For the rear axle look at the 77-81 Trans Ams. 8.5" and rear discs with emergency brakes.