Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which aftermarket A/C?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Y-Blokkah, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nice looking car. Not something you see every day.

3. BJR

BJR

WOW a 4 door hard top 56 Ford.... Meteor. Never seen one before. Very cool. That deserves the best, go Vintage Air.:)

4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. My 56 Victoria has Vintage Air. It uses the original controls. It is comfortable in the backseat and I usually have to turn it down.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Gman0046 likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went with VA in my 41 PU build. You just have to make sure you get the right evap for the size car you are working on. Guys put small units in big cars then complain about the cooling. On my truck i went with the mini with heat, air and defrost, it should be fine according to the tech. Like mentioned above by @anthony myrick I also do not like the look of the under-dash controls and vents so I am taking a different route. I bought this off the classifieds, it is just the front plate off a mercury accessory under-dash AC. It is just vice gripped in place for mock up. I will split it in the center on either side of the merc dude and add the 4 control knobs, run my AC vents behind the original shutters, build a shallow box to finish the sides and re-chrome. Modern convenience, traditional look.
    upload_2020-8-10_9-45-59.png

anthony myrick likes this.
  7. Me likey

8. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I hear and agree with what y’all saying.
    But I absolutely 100% don’t want servo motors running my controls. Call me old fashioned, whatever, I want cables, so I’m looking into that as an option with VA.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

56 heater/defroster were one of the best, the 2 speed fan was its only draw back for me. They have 4 ducts to the defroster which I like. I put the cheapest Sears under dash unit in a 65 Chevelle and it was great. I’m looking at the 4 vent Mustang style VA unit and adding a small Ford Crest to center. With the 4 hole it looks like better air control especially if you aim the 2 centers over the front seat for the back. Ford used this design in the big Galaxies too.
    I also want to keep my 2 front air ducts which would add new air to the car. I don’t know about yours but these windows don’t seal like a post car since 95% or more never had factory AC.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I went with Vintage Air in my COE, and retained the stock heater/defroster. IMG_2961.JPG

jimmy six, firstinsteele and rod1 like this.
  11. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

No they don’t seal like a post car. I wheeled her down the highway with the windows all up, just to see how much they sealed, and it’s nowhere near what a post car does, matter of fact, I’d say it’s worse than your two door Vicky. There’s no quarter window channel seat on the roof, nor is there a flapper on the door windows like your Vicky.
    The 56 is a one year only body style as well, so much is not reproduced either, not that I’d replace mine, they’re actually as good as they’ll get.