Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which 235 engine kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Jul 7, 2017.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So for a split second, I thought about converting my '51 over to a v8. The more I thought about it, the more I realized there were too many mods to the car I didn't want to make. I'm going to rebuild this '58 235 instead, which was plan A all along. My intention is to re-use my timing gears (since they're aluminum and "shouldn't" be worn) and cam, or pick up a known good hydraulic cam with the matching lifters and pushrods. They're still installed so I can make sure to keep them in the proper order and all. My question is about engine kits. Clegg has a full kit for about $540, that uses speed pro pistons, hastings rings and clevite bearings and Felpro gaskets. The other option is Patricks at $599. I know he uses Best gaskets (I already have the Best neoprene rear main seal) but his catalog doesn't say what brand components he uses. Then there's Egge, who doesnt have a "kit" but adding up bearings, pistons and rings comes up to $488, but they don't say who's bearings and rings they use either. Of course that leaves soft plugs and gaskets but I think that only comes up to another $70 or so. So, who have you guys used, and which would you prefer?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better read about "Patrick" here on the site first.

I buy every thing individual and a lot can be done using the machine shop you have chosen for crank, head, and block work. If your just going to "glaze break" the cylinder walls an clean up the crank yourself Hastings rings are very good. Hardened exhaust seat should be done if not already...

3. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Believe me, I've read about Patrick. Actually a buddy of mine went through all that mess with one of his cams. I was actually just reading about the problems with Egge as well, so I think I'm going to cross them off the list. I noticed Summit sells Keith Black and Sealed power pistons, ranging in price from $120-$220. Are either one of them any good? I was hoping for forged but all I can seem to find are cast. I also e-mailed Ross but I feel like theirs are going to be out of my price range. Patricks is the only place I've seen chrome rings too. Are they beneficial or should I just stick to standard rings?

4. squirrel

squirrel

If you bore it, use moly rings. If not, use plain cast rings. No need for forged pistons on a 235 that is not a race motor.

Baumi likes this.

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Alright sounds good. I'm going to check Summit to see if they have all the bearings as well and maybe I'll just piece my kit together from them. I guess when I buy a new Pistons, I'm most likely going to have to have them balanced.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Sets of pistons are usually balanced. I would also talk to the machine shop, and if they can get the parts for a reasonable price, let them. It has usually worked out well for me.

7. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I'll see how much they can get them for. I was just looking on Summits site and the Keith Black pistons all say flat top, but some have valve grooves cut out of them and some don't. I don't plan on milling the head any more than is necessary to true it up, so I shouldn't need the valve grooves, right?

8. squirrel

squirrel

9. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

After a little research, I decided I'm going with the sealed power Pistons. Apparently the Keith Black pistons run the top ring higher on the Piston, so you have to open up the ring gap more. Of course that causes more Blow by which is what caused this problem in the first place

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Total Seal has a ring for every bore in the world I think so you can seal it up for the blow by if you think it will be a problem. If you put gapless or Zero gap on e-bay there is an outfit the has gapless rings cheap. Probably Chinese but I have used them as second ring without any failure. A Chev crank is balenced as is or should be. I use a 3 beam scale for rods, pistons and pins matching as close a possible. Yes I'm aware of doing big and little ends the rods and made a fixture for doing it but for a street engine total weight should be right enough... Good luck.

11. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Alright. I'll talk to the machine shop and see what they do for balancing pistons/rods.

12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Something else I just thought of. The '58 motor has the Piston pins offset but all of the pistons I'm seeing are universal 235 pistons. Are they all offset as an upgrade to older motors or are they all centered as standard?

13. RMONTY

RMONTY

Patrick's is not the only place that will take your money for parts they don't have in stock but they are one of them. They probably don't have the chrome rings but ol' Patrick will sure take your money and tell you "you will have those in a New York minute friend!"

14. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Haha that's what I've heard.

15. RMONTY

RMONTY

When I had my machine work done on my 235 block, my machine shop guy got the rebuild kit at a cheaper price than I could find it anywhere online. I dont know if he pieced it together, or bought it as a kit, but he saved me about $150 if I remember right. You might check with your machine shop guy. Those guys have so much volume they usually get really good prices on rebuild kits.

squirrel likes this.
  16. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Check your main bearings on the 235. On some of them , the main bearing caps are shimmed for clearance. My 1956 Chevy 235 truck block had shimmed main bearings

17. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

RockAuto has Enginetech Pistons. A set of 6 is $190. Anybody ever heard of or used them? They also have sealed power Chrome Moly rings for $60 a set

18. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I think by '58 they had gotten rid of the shims unless the mains had to be cut or honed or something like that

19. squirrel

squirrel

they had shims in a lot of them, just keep them and record where they were when you take it apart, and put them back when you're done, and plastigauge the new bearings when you re install the crank, to see how they fit.

there are chrome rings, and there are moly rings. You want moly rings.