Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where's the "What's Traditional" guide?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jax2A, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jax2A

Jax2A

All right I give up and decide to risk getting flamed. I've searched, I've Googled, I read the FAQ, etc. but can't find what I'm looking for. Born in 66 the only "traditional" rods I have first hand memories of are those built in the 70's and up. I don't want one of those...

So my question is where can I find a guide that tells what mods belong to what periods? What's good on a 60's rod but not a 50's etc? The closest I've found is Tardel's book on building a 50's Ford. Does such a guide exist? Unfortunately I don't have a stack of old little pages to reference and somehow I don't think Rebel Rods and Old Skool Rodz is a shining resource. Thanks, Jack

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

If it's cool, it's O.K.

3. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Man...stay the hell away from Rebel Rods! Please! Pick up old hot rod mags from the era and take notes!

4. joebuick

joebuick

ive seen a few books that break up hot rods buy decades and you can see how trends change. try looking for something like that at your local half priced books

5. beatnik

beatnik

Old Magazines and Vintage Photos on the HAMB to start.

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

who cares? If you like it, run it. And whatever you do, don't ask the guys on here!

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Andy Southards "Hot Rods of the fifties" and Robert Genat " The Birth of Hot Rodding". The Choppers "Electroline Diaries"........Mandentory books.

8. Jax2A

Jax2A

Yea, I get that but old hot rod mags aren't a dime a dozen. I love reading about the articles on barn finds and the period mods but there just isn't that many of them. That's why I'm looking for an online source.

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

Search (traditional car question) It's a closed thread but it has a lot of good info...ghost

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  10. dannyego

dannyego

Ditto... I know a few Hambers that still rock mullets which isnt very traditional:eek:

11. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Subscribe to Rodders Journal.

12. rick finch

rick finch

x2 what the Shifty One ^^^^said... also any Don Montgomery book, believe me there is a shit ton of info out there! Open your eyes, and put your listening ears on, cause there happens to be alot of old farts on here that are more than able & happy to help you on your quest.

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Go on e-bay and look for someone selling a pile of Hot Rod magazines. It's usually cheaper to buy a pile than singles. If you buy "off" brands, they can be even cheaper, but some are pretty crappy so your mileage may vary.

14. If you break your questions down to be more specific, we will happily give you the answers, e:g what wheels were most popular in the 60s? Answer... chrome reversed steelies and early mags.

15. JamesG

JamesG

If you have to ask, you won't understand.

16. Big Tony

Big Tony

Look at old magizines and such to find what YOU like. Don't build or buy something just cause SOMEONE ELSE willthink its kewl...go with what you think is kewl... good luck

17. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

but LosBoulevardosJames, if he DOESN'T ask, he'll NEVER learn...

dv

18. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Let the HAMB be your guide young newbie.

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

UB1Canewbie.....ha ha ha ha!!!!!

20. roddinron

roddinron

Do you mean traditional in the HAMB sense or traditional as in hot rodding?
    (just thought I'd stir the pot a bit ;))

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You'll know. When you see it, it will give you a immediate reaction...

[​IMG]

22. Jax2A

Jax2A

Ghost, Thank you for the straight forward answer. Good thread but more philosophical than what I'm after. I'm an engineer, think in details and facts. I guess I didn't mean to ask what's traditional.

I think rockabillybassman has me on the right track now, meaning what I'm looking for is a list of what mods belong to what periods. I guess what I really want is the chronological engineering progression of hot rods.

The thread ghost pointed me to mentioned a Hot Rod or Street Rodder article that broke mods out by time periods, guess I'll search their sites tomorrow.

LosBoulevardosJames, Your statement only shows what you 're capable of understanding and saddens me deeply on your behalf.

23. 2-TONED

2-TONED

why not??
    mid 60s - early 70s lots of chrome, finned aluminum, custom paint, mag wheels, gassers, metalflake, things were wilder & faster, thats where its at man, neat stuff to look at!!

24. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

i find old magazines on a regular basis at antique shops and swap meets, when i can i thumb through them and get a jist on the cars that are similar to what I'm building at the time, for inspiration.

25. Jax2A

Jax2A

Man when I remember the 70's it's all gawdy paint jobs and murals and disco and my sisters flared jeans, but I'm talking mid 70's and up. I really don't have any early 70's or 60's direct car memories. I do remember the cars I liked at the cruises were the ones that looked like the models my Dad built when he was a kid. Everybody else was oooing and ahhhing over the wildly modified Vettes that didn't even look like Vettes anymore. No thanks. Gassers, that's another story but I never saw one in the flesh until a few years ago.

26. 21tat

21tat

TexasHardcore has your answer.

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

Different cars in different parts of the country. Keep that in mind. What might have been going on here, wasn't necessarily happening elsewhere at the same time. Does that make sense?

28. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

HAHAHA good one!

Jax...just research everything. The HAMB is a great resource for your answers. The magazines you referred to in your first post are definetely the wrong direction. Try The Rodders Journal, Traditional Rod & Kulture, Hop Up, Rod & Custom just to name a few. If you're serious about the truth behind it all, you'll find yourself addicted to this website, along with countless others, spending every spare moment you have researching them until your eyes bleed, and your hands will have so many paper cuts from the books and vintage magazines you've began to collect, and you won't be able to sleep and when you do sleep you'll be thinking about it all. But then again, maybe that's just me. ?

29. 2-TONED

2-TONED

yeah not those crushed velvet, highly boogered up vettes or vans not that stuff. YUUUCCKKKK! read those little mags then youll know right where your at & what you like.
    i dont know how many 'truely traditional period correct cars are on this board? but there are ALOT of really neat cars that look traditional with lots of new stuff on em!

30. ruquik

ruquik

Certainly not the cheapest guide at $15 a mag, but good none the less.

Don't for get to paint and or polish you car. It doesn't like rust and neither should you, LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.