Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where's the VIN? 1939 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drivemdude, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Drivemdude

Drivemdude
    from Mass

So I've got the paperwork for my project... gift from my ole man, his first car. Cool.

Problem is, no documentation. Zero, zip, nada, nuthin'.

There's a tag on the firewall that shows all the Ford patents that the car was built under, but no VIN.

Where the heck did Ford put the VIN on cars in the 30's?

Framerail? :confused:

2. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

3. It is located on the left hand frame rail , close to fire wall or close to front cross member. It is on the top flange of the rail

4. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

There should be a star stamped before and after the number, Ford's way of preventing number tampering.

5. Drivemdude

Drivemdude
    from Mass

Ok, ok, i'm a shithead.

At least I knew to come over here and ask you guys. Now, where did I put that damn hand grenade pin?

VIN, V-ehicle I-dentification N-umber, for early Fords from 32-48 is found on the original transmission bellhousing above the inspection cover(pull floorboards to see this one), on the top side of the frame rail rail near the firewall on 32-36, near the front crossmember rivets on 37-48 cars and 37-47 Pickups. The number can also be found on top of the rail under the post at the back of the front door and at the rear crossmember on top of the rail.
    In several states this number was added by the dealer to the top deck of the engine if required by State law.
    The stamped number is preceded by a five pointed star, then a prefix such as B, 18, 99A folled by a dash(-), the sequence number as many as 8 digits, a dash(-), and the five-pointed star.

Back when these numbers were known as sequence numbers and serial numbers but in modern times they are all called VINs.
    <!-- / message -->

6. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If you think it has the original transmission, look on the upper bell (right where it bolts to the block) and see if there is a number there. That one was assigned to the engine/transmision assy in the Dearborn engine plant. It was copied onto the frame rai lin the assembly plant(s).

7. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

My 39 has (had) a tag riveted in on the top left of the firewall, the tag states "Body Number", followed by a 91A-xxxxxx, is this also a VIN, or is it just a part number for the body"?

I have changed the firewall, and intend on replacing the tag back into the new tag.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That just tells body style and build sequence...but deviuos people faced with ignorant clerks HAVE been known to register Fords using that! I also had someone trying to find his frame serial triumphantly tell me his number...5019! He had found the part number on his front crossmember! I bet there are a lot of Fords out there running that number...

9. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Thanks for the answer Bruce, I was kinda sure that was a part number, but I was thinking I might try to use it as you mentioned. Of course that would be kind of awkward to have the clerk tell me that my VIN # has already been used 12 times.... :D

10. couverkid

couverkid

Vin # is on the left framerail at the top near the front crossmember.

11. The location can actually vary some because they were hand-stamped. The serial number actually belongs to the engine/trans unit. When that engine/trans unit was bolted into a chassis, they literally had a guy there with a set of number stamps and a big hammer whose job was to stamp the number on the frame. The number may be found anywhere between the front crossmember and the firewall, on my '38 Ford pickup it's right beside the steering box. The full number with the *18- prefix (or *54- prefix if it was a 60 HP) and star after the number always appears on the trans case. It does not always appear on the frame, different assembly plants had different practices. I have the original trans from my '38 pickup, which has the full *18-4461076* on the trans case but only has 4461076 on the frame beside the steering box. My truck has something I've never run across on any other old Ford. It has 81C (model designation for '38 85 HP commercial) stamped below the serial number. Also something else to note. Henry's number stamps used a capital I for the numeral 1, so any I's in the serial number should be read as 1's.