Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods where's the money?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, Jan 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Budget36

Budget36

I wish I had the problem of hiring people to take care of my money. I also wish I had a 500k a year tax burden;).

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Please explain the reference. I did not have TV in the mid 60s.

stanlow69 and Beanscoot like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

lippy likes this.
  4. And yet the bottom edges of the rear fenders still looked like crap. It was displayed here for an event....

5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

MO money MO problems. You know what Von Dutch used to say....

"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. I believe it's meant to be that way. There's a 'struggle' you have to go through, and if you make a lot of money it doesn't make the 'struggle' go away. It just makes it more complicated. If you keep poor, the struggle is simple. "

6. you are showing a "racing junk" ad, not the orig. craigslist ad I posted, some differences there...

stanlow69 likes this.
  7. 6inarow

6inarow

Be careful, its just your opinion. I think the thing is spectacular. Especially in person. Glad you came to see it when we had it in the show. It was nice of him to bring it for the club.

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS and Just Gary like this.
  8. No, I saw it when Jesse Jurrens brought Foose in for the first Legend Top 50 Show during the Rally in 2005. Helped him source some local cars for that first couple years. My T was sitting about 20 feet away from it. And I stand by my statement that the bottom rear of those fenders look janky

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

San Diego median home price is 890k, expected to reach a cool Million soon as prices soared 25% last year. And it's a sellers market with only 1300 homes listed last month (pop of 3.3 million in the county). Competition is furious with many real estate investment co.'s from LA and SF buying up (cheaper) homes here (!)

Listing price is essentially an opening bid. My friend and his fiancée, just bid 750k on a home listed at 725k (60 year old 3/2, 1600 sq. ft.-modest, old neighborhood, nothing spectacular). The agent called him to let him know 30 people placed offers and the winning bidder out bid him by 90k!!! Its have/have nots, 3 of my 4 adult kids rent and have zero chance of ever buying a home (if they stay in town).

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This--things are crazy expensive but there are those who can afford high end builds-more power to them. It keeps the talented folks working. Grandaughter and boyfriend bought a little house down there (San Diego)last year $675--now near $800! Older tract type house-small lot-maybe 1350 sq ft Insane-looks like a $250K house to me.

Just Gary and 210superair like this.
  11. It is not just the Coasts, even here in the Center of the Nation prices are going nuts. Our place will increase 5 to 6X over what it should be between 2018 and prob 2024. Has already went up so fast it blows me away.

12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Oh yeah, if my house was lakefront in Madison WI it'd be 1.3 mil probably... Here I'd be lucky to get 550....

13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

At those prices I hope they come with clothes lines and incinerators (San Fernando Valley housing development post WWII):

[​IMG]

Blues4U and 210superair like this.
  14. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i sold my custom built home in carlsbad ca in 1996 for 230,000 and thought i was lucky. i should of rented it out. it is 1,218000.00 now

210superair likes this.
  15. sounds like you'd HAVE to make good money to live out there, even if you rent.
    I've been to Cal. several times, nice place to visit but wouldn't wanna live there.
    ...can't believe this thread is still going.

Blues4U, das858, 210superair and 3 others like this.
  16. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember an article about a 400 sq ft house in SF last year. Lot wasn't much bigger, think it was situated between two large buildings. It was the cheapest listing at $660k.

17. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I believe the owner had 100 and some car dealerships inthe Northwest of the country. It was pocket change. There were a dozen or so friends, employees and relatives at the show with custom made leather jackets that matched the display of the car.I estimated the jackets and travel expenses exceeded the cost of all my builds. Good for him, thats what money is for.

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Along with your property taxes !

19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Obscene Excess .

VANDENPLAS and '28phonebooth like this.
  20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some years ago, maybe 20, we were at the Sacramento Autorama. We had a car there in the outside show. That evening we were looking at the cars and there was a high dollar roadster on a rotating platform. We were looking at it and a couple walked up. I recognized him as he retired from the same utility as I did. Told us it was his car and volunteered that it cost in excess of $350K. Then told us he had used his 401K money! We walked away in disbelief.

jimmy six and 5window like this.
  21. X-cpe

X-cpe

That's not a problem. He's going to die of a heart attack when he tries to recoup his investment.

2OLD2FAST, 5window and olscrounger like this.
  22. wvenfield

wvenfield

A guy I worked with is still working. He is a couple years older than me. He used his 401k to take vacations. I used mine to retire. To each their own I guess.

VANDENPLAS and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep seen the same deal many times. Sad deal There aren't any "do overs"

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  24. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Some people cringe when we use the word "investment" regarding our hobby. But it's the right term. The money is invested, we are financially and other ways invested in these things. Not every investment appreciates, not every investment pays dividends. But if you build it with your own hands, the dividends are fantastic. There is no other way to feel this type of earned achievement and satisfaction. Gashed knuckles, burned fingers and other inconveniences be damned.

For the built by checkbook types, I'm sure seeing their visions met or exceeded is gratifying. Expensive, hard to recoup, but probably gratifying.

X-cpe likes this.
  25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Gone through over 100 cars over the years and the only ones that I ever made a profit were woodies CD576878-6FB6-4B69-9A68-2170FCBC2E7B.jpeg

blowby likes this.
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn’t that the truth. At 77 I don’t have the time or the strength todo 45 years again in a utility. Our $30,500 home bought in 1971 just cleared $1M. Since I took the buyout in 1996 my 401K/buyout is exactly double and it’s not because I spent or invested it poorly. As Clint E said, “one must know his limitations”!

Boneyard51, Blues4U and olscrounger like this.
  27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At 78 I don't have it in me to do Linework anymore--was a good ride. Worked 45 years in the trade and maxed 401 and saved extra as well. No debt. Retirement is just fine now--no worries and never lived above our means. I saw plenty of guys buy crazy RV's, boats, mega houses etc well above their paygrade. Now many are on hard times.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Blues4U, jimmy six and PONTNAK123 like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like money and I really like threads about money. Did I mention I am a 30 year experienced Mortgage Banker licensed in WA, OR, CA and AZ? If you need access to your equity in your real estate I am the man to see. Why deal with Rocket when you have a Bandit in your midst? :cool: Besides most the money I make goes back into the hobby!
    I now return you to your normally scheduled internet.

Blues4U, egads and jimmy six like this.
  29. Anderson

Anderson

I like it. I use it. I have a little.

Tman likes this.
  30. 5window

5window

I got so used to living within my means that now that I have a bit extra, that's just what it is.

jimmy six likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.