Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where's DeSoto been lately

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desoto, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Couple of members have mentioned in passing that I've been absent lately.

Well, leaving the house just before 7:00 and not getting home 'til close to midnight doesn't leave me much time to get on-line anymore 'cept to order stock on Friday nights. (I don’t do any wiring on Fridays)

Been thrashing on then '34 straightening out the mess the "professional shop" made of the body and paint work last winter.

Back in November of 2002 Dave Simard and I made some repairs before it went off for the re-paint and I stripped the cowl down to bare metal from the hood lip forward.

I got the car back just before I left for Australia and it was painted RED instead of Bronze. I sanded and buffed it out to make it presentable for the season but as soon as I got back from the NSRA meet in Burlington, VT, I started stripping off the re-painted (bronze) areas.

Most of the bronze paint's been sanded off again and I found a LOT of body filler in the cowl so……I ground it all out and found out why it had cracked in places. It turns out the guy that originally painted my car for me in ’72 replaced my gas-welded firewall and brazed the new one in instead of welding it in. THAT’S why it had started to crack apart.

Anyway, I cut off the brazed-on firewall and made a whole new one. I straightened out the sides of the cowl while I was at it and I even fixed the dent in the right side of the cowl where the ’58 Mercury u-turned into me back in ’66.

Right now, I’m in the process of hammering out all the little dents left when the cowl was hacked up back in ’72.

Needless to say, this doesn’t leave my much time to get on line anymore.

If anyone is looking for hemi or electrical info, e-mail me and I’ll try and answer your questions Fridays when I log in.

I’ve got tons of pics of the progress but they’re all high resolution shots and they take forever to upload on this dial-up.

Maybe, someday, I’ll truck on down to Charlton and use Dennis’ high speed connection and get a bunch of ‘em up on Webshots.

For now, though, I hafta keep workin’ on the car or it won’t be ready for the ’04 season.

2. Good to hear from you Skip.

3. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool man, your car has been a constant for me since I was a young buck reading magazines. I always have dug the fact that you stayed the course with your paint and such.

4. Good, you can put the red wire back where it belongs [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dennis

5. Glad to hear you're still with us Skip.Hope to see you in September whereever the meet is going to be.Got a postcard from Father Fred and he mentioned something about the Cape.You heard anything?
    Ray

6. shoebox72

shoebox72

I'm gad to hear you're getting the sedan back in shape. Maybe I'll see you at Stafford in a few weeks.

Billy

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Good, you can put the red wire back where it belongs [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dennis

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I did that years ago.

BTW, here's what the firewall looked like after I ground off all the bondo. The stainless overlay was sticking out nearly 3/4" in a couple of spots

Attached Files:

8. The plastic filler on the bottom of the cowl (on the right behind the hood line) fell out with a slight twist of my pocket screwdriver. The holes they drilled to pull the sheet metal out weren't filled and moisture got in there and loosened up the filler. The stuff wasn’t there even a year and it was coming apart.

I'm in the process of welding it all up along with a rust spot just behind it that had a brazed-in patch applied in '72.

The biggest problem I have right now is getting my unpainted ’87 Chrysler out of the way every time I need to plug in the welder. If it’s raining, I’m S.O.L. ‘cause I can’t back the car outside where it’ll get wet.

Here’s shots of the corner where the filler broke off (upper right), the firewall being trial-fitted (lower right), the left side welded in (lower left) and the car buried under “stuff” as I finished and hauled the argon tank off to get it filled again (upper left).

You’ll notice that there’s an 18 degree bend in this firewall. That’s the way I made the original, gas-welded firewall in ’64. It was changed in ’72 to a curved firewall and I never liked it that way so I’m going back to a bent firewall.

Attached Files: