Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where were you in '62?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Aug 5, 2012.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Graduated High School in '62. Seeing AG was watching a rerun of my senior year. I had a av8 '29 coupe but it would have fit perfectly in most of the scenes of Milner's '32 only with a flathead in place of the sbc. Met my wife of 48 years and knew she was the one when she was the only girl that could drive my coupe. Good times................great memories.
    Since joining here I always though PorknBeaner was a wise old sage............now I find out he's just a punk kid...................with a couple million posts:eek::D

Frank

2. mtflat

mtflat

Finishing 2nd grade in Youngstown Ohio and on to 3rd grade that fall. Just starting to get the itch for cars - my first plastic model was a 39 Deluxe / 40 Std Ford.

3. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I was 15 years old and had just purchased two cars for $50.00 each.

One was a 1949 Chevrolet Coupe with a good motor and the other was a 1951 Chevrolet Coupe with a great body but no motor.

I along with a few friends changed the motor with borrowed tools since none of us had any.

Sundays I would find a ride to the local drag strip which was about 52 miles away and watch the action.

Jimbo

4. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Freshman in college and driving a 37 fastback Ford sedan with a 303 Olds and wondering why I had decided to build it this way! Wondering why I thought mechanical brakes and the original tranny/rear would ever hold up!

5. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

I was 3 in Burlington Vermont.... My car was a newborn.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

First ran the Ardun car in my avatar, around $800 in the whole deal...tried to persuade my draft board (remember those??) that drag racing was vital to the national security of the United States, failed, and wound up in the Navy .. same year.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Kids!.... AAAHHHH!!..:eek: ;)

8. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

I have a uncanny memory for things as a kid. In 62 I was 4. That summer the house we were living at we moved out of that fall so I know I have my year right on this. I would play in our backyard and this cool as hell 56 Dodge ( I think 56 ) a guy had up the street from us he would leave in the afternoon. Cool as hell duels on this thing that would rack like hell when he started it up. Being in my 50.s now and my parents in their 80's , i mentioned how neat I thought that car was and how cool it sounded.

My parents laughed and said they didnt think I was old enough to remember that car. Then my mom says " well he would leave for work in the afternoon and his wife would signal her boyfriends it was safe to stop in by pulling the bathroom shade halfway down " So somebody was having some fun in 62. lol.

9. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

6 years old and in Ms Argo's first grade class. Took the fenders and luggage rack off my Murray 24 inch bike so I could "go faster".

48 Poncho

10. Dr_X

Dr_X

From January first until June 8th in the womb.

11. jazz1

jazz1

i was cutting up colouring books

12. JackOfAllTradesRuss

JackOfAllTradesRuss

Making $95 a month pay plus a few $ for overseas payServing in the United States Air Force.

Stationed in Libya for 18 month tour!

Russ

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  13. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Trying to get into Mary Ann Greenert's pants.
    "She was only sixteen, only sixteen. But I loved her so"

Senior in high school, reading those little pages and dreaming of the hotrods that I wanted to build.

Years later I managed to get both done...........

14. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Raising two boys and a girl and racing my 34 Ford with a flathead.

Attached Files:

15. adamshumard

adamshumard

I wasn't even a twinkle in my 2 year old dads eye yet.

16. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

I was 12 years old and had just bought a new 22 rifle.A model 61 Winchester Pump that I still own. I earned money mowing lawns and working in my Dads meat market. My Dad would take me shooting and the other weekends we were at the drags at Fremont or Half Moon Bay. That also was the fist year I drove my Dads 60 Chevy Impala on a dirt road by the local dairy. Those were the days

17. I was 10 years old. I could stare at the Wren mini bike adds for hours. I think this will be the year I buy one (in kit form). As I remember the price listed for them was about a million dollars.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  18. 1pickup

1pickup

I was still in my old man's nads until September, then, well, you know...I was born in June of '63

19. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Right smack dab in the middle of it 12 years old SoCal. Yucaipa half way between LA and Palmspings

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I was in second grade in Spearfish, South Dakota. There were a few hotrods in town and I loved the sound of the engines.

21. ironpile

ironpile

Doing my 2 years in Japan,Misawa to be exact.:D

22. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I was 20, cruisin' the burger drive ins around the Buffalo 'burbs,..... "Pat's" on Sheridan drive and Johnnie's on Harlem rd in the Cleveland Hill area....In my lightly warmed over 47 3dr sedan. Great times, those,........

4TTRUK

23. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Desperately avoiding death by sock. I lost millions of friends to sock racing and many more to outlaw throat sprints, so I hung in there until Fallopian Raceway opened in March '66. Come December, I emerged from victory lane and proudly flashed the "V". Dad was Irish, so he named me Vern.

He was also a master mechanic. Thanks for everything you taught me and thanks for not shooting me in a sock!

24. Cedar Rapids, Iowa!

2nd grade!

If I remember right the name of the school was Indian Creek Elementary, we were practicing the under the desk and in the hallway kneel in case the Russki's sent the big ones our way.:mad:

25. 343w

343w

At 16 yrs. old I bought my first car , a 40 coupe that cost me $125.00. The egine in my coupe had a cracked block from sitting out in Vermont winter-weather. My buddy and I found a 48 flathead for $75.00 and did the swap. I wish I had the smarts to have saved it, I swapped the car for a 57 chevy tudor 2 years later! " Youth is wasted on the young!"

26. Thanks for that. I was right, at 10 years old in 1962 that might as well been a million dollars.

27. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Just out of the Marines and married a short while> Put a Olds in my 41 Ford coupe.

28. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Was a freshman in high school on the yellow bus sitting at the stoplight at Sunshine and Jefferson in Springfield, Missouri. At the other corner was a new 62 Bel Air hardtop in red....my first 62 Chevy sighting.....OOPS that was Sept 61....sorry but still a good memory 51 years later.

29. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Starting 9 years of pool training leading up to the big swim from my Dad to my Mom.
    Born in 71.

30. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Runnin' a '54 Vicky, 272" Y block at the local 1/8 mile strip.

Putting a 264" Nailhead in a '53 Merc. Offy bellhousing and Hurst dropped tie rod!

In retrospect, these were definitely "The Good Old Days" for me.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. That Merc ran pretty decent even with that small "Nail"!!