Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Where were you in '62???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

I was in second grade, practicing "A" bomb drills in school and doing lots of wondering !

2. dmw56

dmw56

I was 6 years old in first grade in Kuna, Idaho.
    Man a bunch of really old farts here! :D

3. jjflash67

jjflash67
    from Ohio

I was 12 and washing cars at the Sunoco station so that I could buy the '48 Ford coupe that my boss had. I did earn enough to get it . It was light blue with Mercury rear fenders painted white with purple scallops.

4. just a twinkle in my fathers eye....

5. 35pickup

35pickup

I had just gotten my drivers license and needed something to drive to high school. So, I sold my 31 Model A 2 door sedan non-running project that had a flathead and 39 transmission to buy a 56 chevy 2door post with a straight six and 3 on the tree. It had bad rust in the quarters so it was my intro to body work. Painted it midnight blue. That was amistake and a lesson in how not to prep for paint but it was mine and I had a lot of fun with it. However, selling the 31 A for $50 still haunts me to this day!

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Graduated high school in 61 in L.A., went to LACC.. Gas was cheap, cruised Hollywood Blvd., Sunset Strip stopped at all the drive ins on the route for about $5.00 in gas, even in a thirsty 57 Chev.. Had some tickets (drag racing, reckless driving etc.) so went on active duty in the Navy Reserve (Cuban Missile Crisis volunteer). I wonder what those girls I knew look like now..

7. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Lets see... in 1962 my Mom was 2years old... so i wasn't anywhere....

8. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

But a sparkle in my Dads eye.

9. woodypecker

woodypecker

Junior in High school trying to make enough money to move up from a beat up allstate moped to a $100 Model A 2 door. The real reason was I lived in Ohio and you could get a license for a moped under 5 hp when you were 14. When you moved up to a car license you kept the old one and altered the birth day to buy illegal liquor. Big cchallenge was how can you spin the tires on the old mans 53 322 Buick with dynaflow. Grades were so bad I thought the university was out of the question. Thank heavens the state schools would asmit anyone at that time.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Capitol didn't release any Beatles records in the US until December of 1963. There were no Beatles songs in Billboard's top 100 in 62 or 63. I like to look through those lists. The songs bring back a lot of memories.

While there was a war going on in Vietnam in 1962, We were "advisors" and didn't send "combat" troops until 1965. That doesn't mean our advisors weren't involved in combat. It means that they didn't tell anybody about it. We didn't hear much about Vietnam until 1964.

I was in 4th grade. My teacher had a yellow and white 54 2 door Chevrolet Bel Aire. My mom drove a 55 Chevrolet. My dad had a 1950 Chevrolet pickup. One of my uncles had a 59 Impala, another had a 60 Pontiac Catalina. My Grandfather had a 61 Impala. My great aunt had a 53 Bel Aire that had tons of chrome. Our neighbor had a 59 Cadillac convertible. Some great vehicles.

I was riding a 2 speed Schwinn Typhoon and doing some customizing with a front carrier, light and generator. I cleaned up and put tools away at the gas station a block from our house. I helped my dad changing oil in the car and truck, putting on brakes and fixing the wipers on the 55 because my hands fit under the dash.

11. aircoup

aircoup

was only 5 , but had a cool pedal car ,, hahahaha

12. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

In '62 I had finished my military oblagation, back at work, working on getting my unlimited engineers license, driving a '56 buick special and hanging out at Itows Automotive working on my brothers dragster.:cool:

13. slammed

slammed

Fillin' diapers!

14. Frist State Hillbilly

Frist State Hillbilly
    from dover de.

Station in Dover De. at the Air Force Base finishing up my 4th year where I still live today

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

The front what the fuck was the front. The front of what.

16. I was in 8th grade in the San Francisco area. At that time the "Trench Coat" Fad was in style. All the "Cool" guys wore white shirts with thin black ties, "pegged" (tight legged) black paints, Black lace up shoes and of course black and grey plaid tench coats. Man soooo cool. Ha Ha

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30 yrs old, raising 3 kids, starting to build my '32 roadster!!!

18. Graduated HS in 62 joined the Air Force and got the shit scared out of us during the Missle Crisis. We really thought this was the big one.
    My mom sold my 46 ford and all my flathead speed eouipment to my "best buddy" for 50 bucks in November. She wanted to clean out the garage and forged my name on the pink slip. I didn't talk to her for a year! Haven't ever talked to him since! I forgave her in 64 when she cosigned for my first new car, a 64 Impala 327. But that's another story. Spent the winter in D.C. at tech school and that was a blast.................. Then came 63 and off to Spokane. I remember gas being around 26-30 cents in 62 and cigs were 25 a pack in the vending machines. Beer was 25 cents a quart on base and you could really get a buzz on for 75 cents.........

19. Eastpunk

Eastpunk

Hmm... 1958 Fender Precision? Super cool pick-up and bridge covers =) Don't suppose you still have that guitar? :D
    1958 Fender Precision Bass

20. Depending when in 1962. I didn't exist until Feb 1st. But for some reason I lived and remember everything the 60s had to offer. I own 60s cars, play a 1965 Fender Jaguar, listen to all 60s music and play it, my Mom brought us 3 kids up to where we had freedom. At 6 years old, I decided I'd rather listen to our console stereo and lay out in the front yard getting a tan than to go to school. This was the 1st grade and I went for a week then dropped out. LOL!! I got in alot of crap when my neighbor called my Mom and said I was not in school and was laying on a lawn chair with the music blaring. After getting in trouble I figured I should give school another shot. LOL!

21. slammed

slammed

Front line of the conflict.

22. DustyBarnfinds

DustyBarnfinds

I was thirteen, and one of the coolest kids in Mystic Connecticut. But only because I had my own speedboat, a 10 foot plywood job with a 20 Merc. Otherwise, I was a geek (no, they didn't call them that then, but that's what it was) messing around with ham radio stuff and learning how to work with wood from guys that were building boats in the early 1900's.

Thanks to all who went for their service. A lot of my buddies went later on a one way ticket.

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

In '62 I was a junior in high school in Champaign.Ill needed a Auto Shop project ended up with the '53 Ford flathead in the first pic for $25 put in a lot of work and pecker tracks in that car you would think 49 years later I should know better ?,:rolleyes: so now I have the car in the second picture and moderate the 1952-56 Ford Owners Group here on the H.A.M.B.,guess I ain't changed much except for 100lbs more from that dang PBR :D

Attached Files:

24. hmmmmm, in 62 i was 8 years from breathing my first breath

my mom graduated in 65 (i think)

ive allways said i was born 10 years too late as everything i like is older then me

25. Deuces

Deuces

I was 2 years old and living in N.S.W. Australia at the time... My sister was born there in '66..

26. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

In second grade, looking up at this:

Attached Files:

27. russell1955

russell1955
    from Ohio

28. russell1955

russell1955
    from Ohio

29. russell1955

russell1955
    from Ohio

My dad around 62 at Pences

[​IMG]

30. Was a freshman in high school...WOW, what a culture shock! Went from playing tether ball in Jr High to watching the local high school cars cruise before and after class. I was already a confirmed gear head but now I was a hotrod addict! So many cool cars cruising twice a day, every day! I just HAD to get a car........my dad helped me get a 29 ford coupe that year and it's been all downhill since '62.