Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Where were you in '62???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I was 11 and talked the high school guy who worked for my dad who had a Cushman scooter to give me a ride past this cool chick's house, twice. Of course, she never saw me go by.

2. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

Phi Bai Vietnam

3. Mad Mouse

Mad Mouse

Phi Bai Vietnam, Camping

4. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

That's me in the passenger's seat, this is the first fire-up and run of
    "T-Soto" built by the late John Fleckenstein, he started the build when he was 15 this is him at 17. This car was cannibalized in 65 for a new build. The old guy is Ned Kelly, I'm the old guy now.

Attached Files:

5. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

10 years old, sweeping floors in local gas station and doing odd jobs for $1.00 or so a day, on weekends hung outside local old barn where a couple guys were building a '32 with '52 Olds drivetrain, they tolerated me looking in as long as I kept quiet and did not go past doorway.

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I had finshed painten my rod another time ,the older paint job just wasn't good enough after 3 years of Fla, sun,and my Y-block Ford needed some new rings too:cool:
    And no one I knew had primer on there rod any longer then it took to get it to shiny,primer was not cool as a finish or look.

Attached Files:

7. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I was five, living in Fort Sumner, NM. Still riding a tricycle. Didn't get a bike until I was in the fourth grade. No money. We was po........

8. I was in the 3rd grade in Puyallup Wa., riding my stingray, and building AMT car models, when not being hired as slave labor by my older brother, sanding on his car, or whatever else he didn't care to do. Heavily influenced by my older brothers interest in HotRods. The passion started early, and never left. Great stories/history everyone.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's me in the middle with the giant head. I was not into HOT RODS yet.

Attached Files:

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

One thing I can say about '62. I got to work on a lot of roadsters. Well maybe cabriolets. Most had roll up windows. Except the jeeps. And they were all green. Real belly button deal. But the 3/4 tons had traditional flathead Dodge sixes in them. And some of the 2 1/2 ton trucks had traditional 302 GMC engines. The Studebaker and Reo trucks had Reo Gold Comet engines. Wasn't as much fun as '64 and on after.

11. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

St Clair Beach - (it's between Windsor and Tecumseh, Ontario) I was 3 years old and the cutest little thing ya' ever saw ! How I turned into this Shrek like monstrosity is anybody's guess! ;)

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

depends on what part of '62 . senior in high school . yes im old , but still here ..... steve

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

20 yrs old,...Pulling wrenches , pumping gas,..and running a 57 stocker Chev every Sundays at Niagara Falls Dragstrip. Drove a 53 Chev beater as my "winter car".

4TTRUK

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 62 my Dad was 16 and I wasn´t here to rule the world until July of 1976. But if I had been around I would have cruisedaround town in a mild custom 56 Chevy , lowered , with an nasty 327, with dome pistons and fuelie heads...and headers and a cam... Just like today.
    hahaha

[​IMG]

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

20 Years old,..Puling wrenches, pumping gas and running a 57 Chev stocker at Niagara Falls Dragstrip. Drove a 53 Chev beater for a "winter car".

4TTRUK

16. Two years old an loving it ! ( I guess, I don't remember.)

17. I was in jr high school hiding car magazines in text books and drawing really bad T buckets, not bad, like in bad ass, bad like they were terrible drawings

18. hotrod428

hotrod428

The winter of 62-63 I was rebuilding the engine out of my 55 Pontiac Star Chief convertible. I bought it in the fall of 62 for $60 with a blown motor. I bought a reground crank and all the parts to rebuild it from the Sears Roebuck catalog. I wish I had that car now.

19. havi

havi

I wasn't born yet, but two of my cars were. Would've loved to have been around back then.

20. boutlaw

boutlaw

14 years old, and in awe of Mr. Wimberly who had just purchased a 62 413 cross ram SS Dodge, Mom had to call me home for dinner (rather supper, as we called it back then) every evening, reading hot rod magazines, drawing Ed Roth style Rat Fink hot rods on notebook covers, hell, maybe that was a little later.....SS's , hot rods and drag racing were the only thing on my mind...got my first 3/8 drive Craftsman socket set, and looking forward to my first car......What a great time in my life. Got drafted 6 years later.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

in '62 i was still in mock up, I wasent shown until '63:cool:

22. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

TDY (Temporary Duty) stuffin' drag bags and changing tires on F-100's on deployment to a far off land full of mean people.

23. sir

sir

playing "doctor" with the girl down the block...uummmmm good....

24. 067chevy

067chevy

I was born in 62!!!! What a great year that was.

25. I wes overhauling my tricycle i parked be hind MOMS 56 Desoto:(

26. I was 8 y.o. in '62 and lived in Gold Beach Oregon.

My ride was a 24" Schwinn Tornado I got for my birthday
    which was almost too big for me.

In October was the Columbus Day storm. School let out
    early that day, after the storm started. I remember
    riding home 10 blocks, scared shitless.

Dad had just bought a new Econoline pickup to replace the '58 F100.
    The familly car was a '60 Galaxie Starliner.

Dad was a boat racer.
    Ran the Rouge River whitewater races among others.

[​IMG]
    I'm the short guy. The blonde kid is Court Boice.

[​IMG]

My first recollection of driving anything motorized was
    getting to pilot one of the U.S. mail boats under the
    Wedderburn Bridge on a trip back from Agness.

[​IMG]

The boat would pickup and deliver mail along the route with
    paying customers using the boat for transportation or
    tourists riding it to the "Singing Springs" lodge.

[​IMG]

Alden and Jerry Boice (Jerry's Rouge Jets) were family
    friends, so in the summertime us kids would
    sometimes ride the mailboats for something to do.

[​IMG]

Here was my next ride.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  27. I'll generalize a lot since my memory is getting bad. Junior in High School, Redlands CA. Driving an Olds, either a 50 or a 56. Either working for the local newspaper or at Phils Charcoal Broiler.

28. Donnda

Donnda

Graduated High School in 1962 Met my wife of almost 48 years, Driving a 1957 Chevy 210 2 door with 283 and 4 speed. Cruzin' all over Orange County CA Drinkin lots of beer. Working in a self serve service station. Gas was about .26 a gallon. Making my first trip to Bonneville speed week in August.

Was a great time to be alive.

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh man, I remember that skateboard!