Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to pour gas into carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miky2001, Dec 27, 2011.

1. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

It aint rocket science, throw some gas in the carb and crank her up. If it catches fire put it out....

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Just read the following on another thread. An example of how not to do it, then finally the correct way:

Yes after 18 years of not running finally fired the motor up tonight! I had to put gas in the carb to start and it ran for about 10 seconds then died. Started again and noticed something glowing in engine compartment.....uh oh. Didn't sound like it backfired but the drivers side top of the intake was on fire. Had the fire extinguisher standing by and put it out....no damage. I think I spilled fuel when filling the carb through the vent tube. Anyway, figured I would crank over a little more without coil wire on to try to get fuel to the filter/carb.

3. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

thanks for all the great info.

i did squirt a LITTLE GAS into the carb, into the holes marked with the blue arrows.

blew into the tank and got the gas up to the carbs and turned the key.

it fired right up and i ran it for 20 minutes with no issues other than a couple of leaks where i ran the water heat to the bottom of the intake manifold, i need to tighten up some of the fittings.

i had the little lady standing by with a water hose just in case.

again, thanks for the help.

[flash=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786]width="400" height="240" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=d9d4c457fc&photo_id=6587728619" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"[/flash]

4. Larry T

Larry T

Glad you got it going.
    But, just for future reference, please don't use a water hose on a gas fire. It doesn't work very well. I always keep a large wet rag around (along with a powder extingusher) when I'm messing with with gas. Smothering works a lot better on a gas fire than dousing it with water.
    Larry T

5. Why?

6. Cub8556

Cub8556

Always heard starting fluid/ether is risky because it detonates rather than explodes. Can destroy rods and other goodies

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I mechanic buddy of mine was using starter fluid to try and start a V8 Jag of mine and it backfired. The airfilter assembly normally bolted to the inner fender put a nice dent in the shop ceiling 25-30 feet up.

We use starter fluid for mounting tires more than for starting engines.

8. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

How well did the marshmallows come out on your backfire bonfire? Lol