Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to pour gas into carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miky2001, Dec 27, 2011.

1. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

trying to fire up my 292 for the first time and i am not sure exactly where i am supposed to pour some gas into the carb for the first time start up.

dual carbs on the chevy 292 straight six with carter webers from langdon.

any help is appreciated.

thanks

mike

Attached Files:

• carb.jpg
      carb.jpg
      File size:
      466.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Larry T

Larry T

If it were me, I'd fill the float bowl (either of the red arrows), prop the choke open, pump the throttle a couple of times to see if the acc. pump was working, and give it a shot.
    An easy way to hold the choke open is with a wooden clothes pin.
    Larry T

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was going to say something juvenile, like strike a match and look down the carb to see which side had the priming hole first before adding gas...

But.. cranking the engine should fill your carb bowls (or electric pump?) and if all is well it should start fairly easily. I've never had to prime a carb, but perhaps I'm just lucky. Gary

4. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

If you are going to put gas down the carb, get one of those little lab squirt bottles.......and spray a little right down the choke horn.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

If you feel compelled to pour gas in the carb be carefull.... A backfire can be disastrous of your standing over the carb with your container of gas:eek:

I'd let the carb fill by itself and check the accelerator pump as advised above.
    The engine should start right up if everything is as it should be....

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

We used to put some gas on the air filter itself - less likely to flood that way.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

pull the plugs out and spin it over with the starter till the oil pressure builds up. Maybe by this time the carb will be full too. If not, do it some more. Ain't gonna hurt anything.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. 76cam

76cam

I always fill the float bowls up.

9. garcoal

garcoal

hate to sound this way if you cant figure out where the gas goes you should probably get some one else to help you. remember gas is way flammable

10. That is part of the reason I use an electric pump hit the switch and fill the bowls. Then hit the go button and it will light.

A lot of guys dump a little gas right down the throats of the carbs. Not a good idea, it is a good way to wash the oil off of your cylinder walls. The reason I mention it is two fold, most of us have done it and someone else is going to mention it. It is not a good idea.

Try and get fuel in your float bowls and let the carbs do their job.

11. JD Miller

JD Miller
    from Wildomar

Take it to a mechanic

12. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just pressurize the fuel tank you can blow into the filler heck and create 2-3 psi plenty to push fuel to the carbs.

13. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

thanks for all the info. i will try to fire this up tonight, and hope i don't blow myself up.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I read a post here a while back where a guy was pouring gas down the carb in a glass jar while his friend was cranking the motor, then it back fired and he dropped the glass full of gaslonine and started a fire.

don't be that stupid. no glass jar, and no pouring gas while someone else cranks.

I'd just crank it until it starts regular

15. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I keep a gear oil bottle for this, the kind that has the small capped spout on it, it works just right for getting fuel in the bowl vents this way allowing the carb to do its job and have gas to run a bit so that the fuel pump can pick up gas from the tank.

16. 8flat

8flat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use a squirt bottle if you must.

17. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

only add gas to carb when ignition off and engine not turning.

18. Andamo

Andamo

You may have a double meaning to your statement about ''firing it up tonight''

19. carbking

carbking

Most carburetors have some type of "bowl vent" (typically a tube sticking up into the air intake at around a 45 degree angle). Once you locate the bowl vent, use the squeeze body to fill the bowl through the vent. Replace the air cleaner, and start the engine.

Jon.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

On old cars with carburetors and air filters there is usually a wing nut sitting in a depression on top of the air filter. I usually just loosen the wing nut pour a little gas into the depression and let it run down. This is enough to fire the engine and find out if it will go. Make sure the top of the filter is clean, do not pour dirt into your motor. I also like to use 2 stroke mix gas with oil in it so the rings and pistons get some oil.

If it needs more than that take the lid off and pour some gas down the throat of the carb, not too much. Put the lid back on loose in case of backfires. If the engine does not start you need to check out the ignition. If it fires then dies, and 3 or 4 tries don't get it running, you have a carb or fuel pump or out of gas problem.

21. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

x2.

22. The guy I got my '50 from would use a gear oil bottle to squirt gas into the bowl vent.

That said, I've started plenty by dumping a jag of gas right out of the can and right down the top of the carb, you can pour what seems like a lot in there and it will start if it's going to.

Also, instead of taking the plugs out to crank it to build the oil pressure, you could just pull the coil wire.

23. FAST57F100

FAST57F100
    from Washington

If you pull the plugs and turn the motor over make sure there is no power to the coil! A friend tried this and the air fuel mixture blew out the plug holes the plug wires hanging next to the holes lit the mixture and goodness gracious "GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!" When he finally got the front of the 32 and the garage put out he knew he had fuel to the carbs! I like to preset the timing, fill the float bowls and va-voom we have a runner. Best of luck and happy new year. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

24. 201

What SGTLETHARGIC said- starting fluid. First check your gas supply from the fuel pump. Crack the feed linto the carbs. If no good , try a small tank from a lawn mower gravity feeding to the carbs,instead of pouring gas into the air horns. After you know you got fuel, all you need is air and spark. Give it a SMALL SPRITZ of starter fluid. Remember, your'r not triying to reach the space shuttle. Get you face out of the way and see what happens.

25. Actually I started a 283 that hadn't been started since about '81 0r '82 that I know of last winter. I primed it to get some oil up then stabbed the distributer. Bolted a Holly carb on it that I know for a fact had no fuel in it as I had just had the bowls off of it. I did fudge and dribble some oil in the cylinders. Anyway I had the girl crank it to get some fuel up to the carb, it turned about 3 or 4 times rump rump rump and light off.

If your engine has the tune somewhere close to right from the git it will start without a bunch of crazyness.

26. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Yup, most of us have done it! With that being said, I worked with a guy that still lives with the facial and neck scars that were the result of just what you're asking about. From your question as to "where to pour gas into carb?" is concerned, it almost sounds like you may not have the experience to understand just how dangerous this act COULD BE to your health and property if not done "properly" and with restraint. Just be careful and understand what CAN happen. Like most have said above, maybe you should troubleshoot the problem before resorting to this method. DD

27. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I always use a squeeze bottle to fill the bowls on a new motor fire-up. Make sure there's no spilled gas anywhere on the motor afterwards, pump the accel linkage by hand a couple times to insure there's fuel going into the venturis, then re-install the air filter and hit the key. I've never been a fan of turning a new motor over with the starter to build oil pressure, or fuel pressure, fill the carbs, etc. That's a good way to wipe out a new cam, IMHO. So just triple check your timing,make sure you have spark, fill the bowls and light it off.

28. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you don't know where to add gas to carb don't dare use starting fluid,good way of destroying an engine and yourself. I can't believe you guys even suggested using starting fluid to someone not knowing what they are doing.

29. Ter409

Ter409
    from NE Oregon

miky2001: I have done all of the mistakes that the guys are talking about and what works best for me is an old mustard squeeze bottle with some gas. Get the kind that has a back flow valve in it and never ever crank the engine while adding any fuel to the carb. Also go out and buy some extra fire extinguishers for your shop you are going to need one or two. I keep lots around my shop. Terry