Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where to place the gas tank in my A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by poboyross, Nov 30, 2013.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I'm building a coupester, or rather finishing one someone else started. Now I'm at the point of figuring out where to position the gas tank. I have what I believe is an old T tank or facsimile thereof. I have three places to choose from and took pics. I'd like to know which place you guys would choose and why? I was leaning towards the one furthest away from the seat, with not wanting to have a keg of gas behind my rump. Maybe that's dumb, but the issue would be the fitting in the bottom, an thus the fuel line, would be visible from the rear. The option over the rear crossmember would have the nozzle passing through the old pin hole in the member, no longer used because of the rear mount spring. Framing and cradle for the tank is a given, just not fabbed yet. All constructive comments are appreciated!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385867907.307720.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385867922.258702.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385867938.811980.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385867950.625049.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I would not use the bottom outlet, fab a new pick-up through the top of the tank. I like mounting the tank behind the seat, looks like it would make the best use of the space. Drove lots of trucks with the tank in the cab, behind the seat, not a problem.

3. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I was facing the same dilema...where to put the tank? I was thinking at first, of placing it as far forward as possible, right behind the seat, so that I would have the most useable trunk space available. The filler neck on my tank, however, would've made it difficult to fuel up unless I modified it so it would snake rearward, or extended it up and placed the cap outside, just ahead of the trunk lid. Easy enough to do, but I figured what the heck...the filler neck that came with the tank was so nicely-constructed, that I hated to mess with it. Besides, I figured if I placed the tank right over the rear axle, it would aid traction. As you can see from the pictures, that's how I mounted it, and it's been fine, but with the battery mounted at the very back of the trunk, I've kinda screwed myself for having a very useable trunk space. I was going to construct a metal firewall to partition off the trunk from the passenger compartment, and I still haven't done that.

If I were to do it again, I'd place the tank far forward, and install a firewall. That way, you'll have a little bit of trunk space you can actually use, like for an ice chest or tool box. You'll always get the nay-sayers, who freak at the prospect of a gas tank right behind the seat, or for that matter, any where on the vehicle. In their view, you should place it in the next county, but face it...if you are involved in any kind of serious accident with a Model A coupe, you're probably not gonna fare real well. Those same haters will go nuts about mounting a battery back there close to the tank. Under the car might work, but real estate down there is precious, too...especially if you have an under-car exhaust. If there's a better location, I'd like to hear about it.

Attached Files:

4. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

behind the seat, so you have some space.

Attached Files:

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someday I'll have to make the same desision. I think a steel side to side behind the seat panel would be a great idea rather than gas soaked upholstery. Bob

6. badshifter

badshifter

Why not the stock cowl tank?

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's really up to you. As far as safety goes, if that tank explodes, it'll be a closed casket funeral regardless where the tank is mounted.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  8. len1/2fast

len1/2fast

My 1931, Elpolacko buit this one.

Attached Files:

9. thunderplex

thunderplex

Mine has a fabricated tank under the passenger seat with the filler neck behind the passenger door.

Posted using the full custom, V8, 4-speed app, rolling down highway 41.

10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I built a firewall and put it right behind the seat. If i get rear ended its farther from the impact. If it ruptures in the trunk theres gunna be gas all over back there no matter what. I also drilled a big hole for the line to run through that will also act like a drain. I wouldnt put it behind the rear axle because of weight. A full tank would lower the car or change handling a little.

11. Your best bet is going to be building a tank that fits into the space.
    Much like the stock tank is actually part of the car, so should your new tank be to make the best use of limited space and maximize fuel carrying capacity.
    Len1/2 fast's pic shows a tank built to fit the space but there's a few other ways to do this too. The oval tanks are cool pieces but the take up a lot of space as in waist it, and that space is not good for anything else.

I wish I knew why the thought of a gas tank on my lap (stock A) bothers me but a gas tank under my balls (motorcycle) doesn't phase me a bit. Weird.

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm in agreement with NOT using a bottom fuel line location.

4TTRUK

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why?

14. I guess there's a few reasons I don't like a tank bottom feed. On a bottom fitting whatever ends up in the tank will end up in the fuel line, while a top pick-up tube is short of the tank bottom and lets the crud remain there. A bottom mount fitting is also little more vulnerable to damage, depending of course on tank mounting. If you do end up with a leak or broken fitting on the bottom it will drain the tank, while a damaged fuel line on a top pick-up in many cases does not (sometimes the fuel will continue to siphon depending on configuration). Probably some other reasons too.

15. COOP

COOP

I'm having issues with the tank in my '29 roadster. The frame has been seriously z'd. I had a tank that I thought was gonna work but when i set it in place it almost set on top of the driveshaft and the front of the differential. The top of the body sets just about level with the rear tires. I really want something that will hold about 12 gallons.I guess I'll have to have one made up to match a cardboard mockup. I don't trust my welding skills on something like this. Might be hard to believe but my second hot rod had a tank made of 1/2" plywood fiberglassed inside and out. Had it for three years with no leaks, but maybe I've wizened up a tad since then.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

All good reasons. Thanks.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You need to contact Ron Pope of Ron Pope Motorsports. He started out his business making custom fuel tanks. He builds and sells T buckets and STILL makes tanks. He'll make it ANY way you want it. His prices are great and his work is even better. 855-932-7541 He'll do you right! He's in Tennessee and ships all over.

18. 63dan63

63dan63

I like the trunk-space I get with this location ...

with pix

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  19. Just my $.02. My tank is where Henry put it. Ten years ago I was going to put it in the trunk too, because i thought, DANGER! But now after many miles and years, it's been just fine in the original place. One tip, If you leave the stock tank, leave and use the shut off valve. Good luck.

20. metal man

metal man

I would use the stock tank too. I actually have two A's with stock tanks, and my dad has one too. No regrets at all, they make good use of space.
    As stated above, be sure to shut off the valve when it's not being driven.

21. I opted for a 32 style tank. We tucked it in there really far and I think it turned out pretty good. If you decide to go that route I put several pictures in my build thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i added an extention to my filler neck and mounted it foward in the trunk. stock tank was just to small for me. i will be moving my battery at some point. also, i want a trunk floor.

Attached Files:

23. metal man

metal man

I really like this one. Is that a one- off tank? What is the capacity?

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

My driver is stock but for the hotrod, my plan is to fold my own tank. First panel fits the back of the seat like a firewall and is as wide as possible, then the fold makes a bottom panel maybe 6" front to back, the next fold gives the back of the tank, thats the part you see when you open the trunk, then the last fold, the top, at about 4" front to back. Use a sheet of stainless for this tank, make end panels, weld in with a Henrob torch. The top panel gets the filler tube and gas outlet/ gas gauge. Bead roll the front and back panels for stiffness. This gives you maximum space in the trunk and places the gas tank as close to center of the car as possible away from collision damage. The weight is also centered in the car

25. 63dan63

63dan63

11 gal from Speedway

26. 32duece51merc

32duece51merc

I think you should mount it right up near the back of the seat. That's what I am going to do with mine. Those round "t" style tanks look good. I figure with it mounted close to the seat, I think you will have more room to put things in the trunk without having to lift everything over the tank if you were to mount it near the rear of the car....Just my thought...

27. metal man

metal man

Very nice.

These are the only pictures I have of it (when I first started on it), but I made this one for my Model A Phaeton. It is inside the frame under the seat. It's oddly shaped because I just used all the space that was available. It is used in conjunction with the original tank, because I wanted more than 10 gallons capacity. The original tank is plumbed into this one as a reserve.

Attached Files:

28. my 2 cents....I agree avoid bottom feed for 2 reasons, crap in the line and potential leak till it's dry.

29. For the discerning of a bottom outlet.....it's called a fuel pump,not a fuel suck....... Besides-that's what filters are for #$%$#sake!
    Keep em comming- many ideas here. Room is always at a premium in an A.

30. Haha that's pretty funny- but a mechanical fuel pump should be called a fuel suck.
    Just poke a hole someplace between the pump and the tank then watch how much fuel get to the pump/suck.