Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to place fuel filter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjd420, Jul 21, 2013.

1. tjd420

tjd420

Before or after fuel pump... Or both? Any opinion welcome

2. sobpunx

sobpunx

I have always put a filter in front of the pump.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Most times we put it before the pump. If the tank is clean one should do it. Lots of cars had a sock in the tank on the pickup tube. We did have some trouble,on the tri 5s several years back that the sock was getting stopped up. I leave the sock off and filter before the pump. You can make an OEM work so you have an easy replace ment. I used the 89 Chevy pickup filter. Has odd ball O ring tube fittings. Go to the wrecking yard and get the end of the tubes.

4. 327Eric

327Eric

If I haven't had the tank boiled out, I usually run one at the tank, and one right before the carburetor.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Even with a brand new tank of fuel cell, I always put the filter before the pump.

6. Yep, before the pump.

7. X2. ^ You can also run another if you like closer to the front,but,......If shit is in your tank if it's old,where's it going to pass through first?

8. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

I ran one before my pump and one after the pump, can't be too careful with the quality of today's gas and stuff that always seems to find its way in there. Old carbs don't have inlet filters so that's why I run 2, just part of my OCD I guess.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not quite true. Many old Qjet 2 and 4 brl. have a inlet filter mounted under the inlet fitting. It's sintered bronze, and catches very small particles.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like over kill, one before and one after.

11. 5window

5window

x3 Count me as before the pump

12. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

You can't have to much filtration with the filthy fuel out today.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here. I've ruined one pump on a road trip when I left the gas cap on the gas pump at the Grand Teton lodge gas station on the way back from Texas and then ran into way too many miles of road construction in Montana. That was the last time I drove my 48 anywhere without a filter in front of the pump. I coasted into Whitehall, Montana and a kid at a gas station who was loading up his stuff for his 55 Chevy to take home because he was going in the Navy the next week sold me the fuel pump he had bought for the 55 and helped me install it.

Every vehicle I've put together for myself since has had a filter in front of the pump and one after it. It's pretty inexpensive insurance.

14. Speed~On

Speed~On

I agree with tfeverfred. I would place a filter in-line near the fuel cell, then one between the fuel pump and the carb.

I have seen a small piece of welding wire get into a fuel line and pierce the diaphram on a fuel pump. Filters are your friend.

15. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

When I said old carbs didn't have filters I meant "old" carbs as I Stromberg 97's, Holley 94's, old single and two barrels, probably pre 50's. I wasn't referring to QJets etc... So with that being said, run one before and after...

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Before the fuel pump, down near the tank where it is accessible. Keep the crap out of the line and don't allow it to foul pump of carbie. Another one at the other end as a precaution.

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Throw away fuel filter before the pump.

18. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

I have mine before.

19. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

One goes as close to the tank as possible (and easy to get to) and the other goes near the carb. Both need to be clear plastic so you can see if they have fuel in them. Purolator part number is F20011.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  20. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

not a bad idea to write the instalation date on the filter so u can see it when u r under your ride workin on sometn else. use amagic marker. between the tank and the pump has always worked 4 me. i change it every year.........................

21. I always use a big filter before the fuel pump back toward the gas tank and a small inline filter between the fuel pump and carburetor. HRP

22. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Definitely before the tank, you wouldn't want this crap running through your pump. I have recently replaced the pump, and a filter before it, and another one before the carb. Next is a new tank.
    [​IMG]

23. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

mine is before pump, I'm now convinced to add an add'l one near carb.

24. E10 fuel sucks. Both.

Before:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374512113.822980.jpg

And after:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374512174.819180.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  25. stimpy

stimpy

you know how many of these I have opened to find them missing ??? and some replaced with the paper elements and seen crushed or twisted and not sealed ??

always one before the pump and after . and try to make the before filter below the level of the tank so it stays full and wont create a vaporlock issue from suction ( these new gases (pardon the pun) suck when it comes to vaporlock and pull style systems .

26. True, dat...

27. Large one before pump, smaller one after pump. I don't like cleaning fouled carbs.

28. rustang

rustang

I've got one before the pump, then another before the carb.
    Tom

29. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

I have a glass filter installed before the pump -- very good insurance and easy to see any potential clogs before they're a problem.

30. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

With the ethanol gas, does really matter, ain't gonna run right anyway.