Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to look..2004R transmission donors ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Abomb

Abomb

Well, I ended up with a glass 23 T body and turtle deck...and possibly ( if it's not froze / cracked) a 120 horse Mercruiser...so, I was thinking a 2004R would be the way to go in this little car. So, the question is, where do I start my hunt, other than Buick GN's, what's a good donor car for these tranny's ?? I have found that alot of times, it's cheaper to buy a non running car, take what I can use and scrap the rest.

2. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

3. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

any g body's from the 80's, cutlass, grandprix, monte carlos, regals

4. Abomb

Abomb

Great, it should be easy to find one out here, in the land of IMCA stock cars....which are almost all G bodies....Thanks

5. lowelife

lowelife

Mine came from a 87 Monte SS. Do a little research on the different codes on the trans and you can end up with a pretty stout little trans. I believe CZ code is what you want.

6. 81-90/91 ish GM my 81 elcamino had one. G body and later b bodies

in the late 80s Caprice 9C1 police package using the internals from the Buick Grand National.

I know a guy looking to move a built GN 2004r Trans. Not cheap pm me if you want the info

7. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I recently bought two 1989 Caprices with 200 R transmissions. I paid $100 for one of them and drove the car. It was a great bargain. In my area I still see Caprices setting in yards and driveways. Old old Carpices sometimes had the 200 transmission. Do not confuse the two as the 200 is junk and it is a very undesireable transmission.

John

8. Here are some of the ID numbers:

TH-200-R4 ID's:ID Application
    KZF ** Olds 442/Hurst
    CZF ** Monte SS
    BRF ** GN/T-Type/Turbo Regals
    OZ ** Hurst Olds
    OM Olds 350 Diesels
    OG Olds 307
    BY V-6 252 Cars
    AA and AP Cadillac's
    Transmissions marked "**" have a special (better for performance) valve body, plate, 1-2 servo, 3-4 servo, 2-3 intermediate servo, and governor.
    These codes can be found on the passenger side of the transmission near the output shaft. Sometimes they are hard to read due to the catalytic convertor getting in the way.

I got an "AA" from a early 80's caddy with the mighty 4.2l v8 LOL

9. fms427

fms427

As above - Grand Nationals and Monte Carlo SS V-8 have the best parts. But Grand Nationals are getting very pricy - probably not worth it. A good rebuilding shop can put in the right parts for you - and you can probably get one rebuilt for less than you'll pay for a Grand National tranny as is.