Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to get those little weld on threaded thingies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by james, Sep 5, 2003.

1. james

james

On "American Chopper" I noticed they always use these little peices of rod, pre threaded on the inside, for mounting fenders, etc. I've also seen boxes of little tabs, brackets, etc that look like they'd make a lot of projects soooo much easier. Anyone know where they get them? I really doubt they make them themselves, just like most of the other stuff on the show I'm sure they're off the shelf, but who's shelf?

2. SKR8PN

SKR8PN

try www.artmorrison.com or 1 800 929 7188 ext 222(Kevin) tell him I sent ya...... They stock a bunch of stuff like that

3. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Also:

www.mcmaster.com

www.mscdirect.com

Both have huge FREE catalogs and lots of stuff like that. Threaded rod and coupling nuts in any size, length and thread pitch.

4. Sometimes they are called "bungs", you can also buy a length of internally threaded rod and cut off what you need.

... I just like typing "bung", it's the Beavis in me.

5. dixiedog

dixiedog

I have heard them called - Thread-a-lets in pipe work, Weld-a-lets in machanical threads.
    Here is the Grainger kit grainger

6. Make em in a lathe if you have access to one.

You can make them from a solid piece of cold rolled doing the drilling and tapping bit.
    Chamfer the edges for the weld.

You can also get unplated nuts and turn a step on them that's the thickness of the metal they are going into.
    Same deal here, chamfer the weld side.

If you only need a few and do not have access to a lathe, but do have a drill press, make yourself a mandrel by cutting off the head of a bolt.
    Spin the unplated nut onto the mandrel, mount the mandrel in the drill press chuck, spin it up and knock down the hex with a file.
    Doesn't take too long.

Don't put too much side pressure on the chuck, let the revs do the work and be sure to slide the file along it's length so it doesn't wear in one spot.

7. 12packo94s

12packo94s

meziere makes them

they are just called threaded tube ends
    they make them for a wide variety of tubing sizes and wall thicknesses and thread sizes

very easy to use

hope this helps

8. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

anybody have a close up picture..??

9. ESnacky6

ESnacky6