Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods where to find magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

This may be a local issue-----Just about the only place in the NW Indiana area to find hot rod magazines----Street Rodder, Hot Rod DeLux, even Hot Rod Magazine is either Walmart or Walgreens. Walgreens seems to be phasing out magazines, certainly car magazines. Other than buying a subscription, any other places CONSISTANTLY selling them? BILL RINALDI

2. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Got a Barnes and Noble anywhere around? I've got three within a 50 mile radius out here in the territories of Western Mass that I check out when I'm out and about, stock selection can vary between them sometimes.

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Our local grocery store has a few as well as Barnes and Noble when I go to the city. Also try your nearest truckstop.

4. I'll second Barnes & Noble, or Books a Million, if you've got one. The Sheetz gas/ convenience store carry Rod & Kulture around here. Seems grocery stores here have the worst selection. Good Luck.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Antique stores, yard sales, car swap meets, and flee markets are the best place to get magazines about traditional cars. The new ones are advertiser driven junk, all I buy are old ones with the exception of the rodders journal, which happens to be on sale here

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Given the substantial difference in the per issue newsstand price compared to a subscription,
    I can't imagine not buying a subscription for any mag that you would want 3 to 4 times a year. There are some I buy at random from the 'stand, just for a particular article in a particular issue.....but the 'stand price still makes me wince!

7. fortynut

fortynut

I second Hnstray, and want to point out the value of a subscription is a collection of magazines useful as reference that are fun to go back and read, if you were too busy the first time. Regardless of what we think of modern auto mags, or the glut of advertising, they need subscribers to convince advertisers of an accountable market. Thus the sweet deals; they get subscribers and we get cheap reading material.

8. stimpy

stimpy

basically Its down to subscriptions now I find , don't know how long you live in CL but there used to be a magazine shop on the east side of the square in Cp , been years since I been that way probably gone now .

9. silent rick

silent rick

i miss the borders in highland. val goes to the zoo, i mean the mall once a month. you might want to give stracks a try. the one near me has a larger selection than walgreens.

10. 2935ford

2935ford

11. rooman

rooman

The biggest problem at this time is that Source Interlink shut down their distribution channel at the same time as they had their big magazine/staff purge. As a result there is nobody stocking the retail outlets from their end. Locally I usually scan the rack at Walmart or the CVS to see if there is anything in the way of specials/on offs that I might otherwise miss. At both locations the shelves are nearly bare of automotive publications as the number of non Source Interlink publications in regular circulation is minimal. Road and Track and Car and Driver are still around along with some of the niche mags but that is all.

Roo

12. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I think ROO MAN has hit the nail on the head. In my area, apparently Sourcelinks distributor has gone belly-up and as yet no one has picked up on what ever books Sourcelink has got left to offer. Thanks for the info. BILL RINALDI

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I get all my magazines at the adult book store. I subscribe to car magazines.

partsdawg likes this.
  14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have noticed the phasing out of magazines around my area. All 7-11s no longer sells magazines. Markets sell a fourth of what they used to sell. Walmart still has a large selection but I've noticed that the automotive magazines are down to just a select few.

15. Search the threads for the demise of Rod & Custom for the full story. It's too convoluted to describe in detail here. Bottom line is that Source Interlink not only owned a large number of automotive titles, they were also the distributor of them and other titles. Time Warner told them to take a hike as their distributor which hit Source Interlink hard. Source Interlink, now known as The Enthusiast Network (TEN), began dropping titles, such as R&C, and handing out pink slips to employees. The latest word is that Hot Rod, which they were offering to R&C subscribers to fulfill their subscriptions, is headed shortly to being available on-line only - no more print. I will not subscribe to any of their publications, automotive or otherwise, any more. They grabbed the market on these publications and screwed it up, along with screwing over subscribers. :(

16. spooler41

spooler41

I've not heard any thing about compensation for the year remaining on my
    R&C subscription. I wouldn't mind receiving Hot Rod, thats the only rag
    they still print that interests me.

........................Jack