Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where to find/how to make leaf spring shackles.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Oct 6, 2018.

1. NAES

NAES

I'm working on a '55 Cadillac and when it came time to pull the rear end and springs, one of the shackles wouldn't budge. I cut it thinking a replacement would be a simple (and inexpensive) find. Oops, not so much.

I've done a little searching to find replacements based on size but can't find a universal chart similar to ones for shocks, etc.

Making them doesn't look all that difficult with a little machining and welding but since I've never given a shackle a second thought, I want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.

What I see are 2 plates bolted together with a sleeve to keep them from binding on the spring spring and a few rubber bushings. Or 1 side with the plates having a shoulder type bolt welded to it with the bushings.

Is it that simple? I seems like they only see up/down loads and not much torsion even when cornering to worry about them staying aligned by simply bolting 2 plates together. If it is that simple I can stop worrying about it and whip up a pair!

Thanks as always, NAES

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yes it's that simple. In the stuff I've built thru the years I've never bought a rear spring shackle, always made them.

Just measure the width, say 1_1/4, 1_1/2 etc and buy some 3/16" thick strap and cut to length, drill some holes and I prefer grade 8 bolts to stick thru the holes and your set.

3. I did that too, it was pretty easy. I welded the bolt heads to the shackle, but probably didn’t need to. Locking nuts + a little Loctite eliminated the need for sleeves or shouldered bolts.

4. NAES

NAES

61 Sunliner likes this.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Be sure to weld the side plate to the bolts

6. NAES

NAES

I'll take your advice and do so.

Is that to keep them from twisting and making the ass end go around a corner all wacky?

7. I think it helps to keep the bolt from turning, which might loosen the nut over time. That’s the only reason I welded mine. Maybe it adds some stability too, I don’t know.

8. NAES

NAES

Well thank you again everyone for the advice. A trip to King Bolt and 30 bucks later I was ready to go.

I cut a couple pieces of plate, drilled them using the old piece as a template and welded the bolts in. I'm sure I lost a little bolt strength from the heat but I feel good about the results. Currently they're drying after a little bomb can session so they're all but ready to go.

The shoulder bolt that holds the front of the spring was rounded off so I used it as an excuse to convert it from an 13/16" to a 3/4" using a 6 sided collet holder. Worked like a dream!

Thanks again for the help everyone. NAES
    20181007_145016.jpeg 20181007_154459.jpeg 20181007_114757.jpeg 20181007_120735.jpeg