Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to find carter carb part..its not as dumb as it sounds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56olds-ERDY, Sep 10, 2003.

1. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

well sort of...this is rediculas.i swear im going to move soon cause the auto parts stores around here cant get anything.all i want is a accelerator pump for a 66 carter avs.i dont want the junk plastic stuff edelbrock sells for there afbs.i want a brass one with leather plunger.i know they make them cause thats what comes in the kits.i bought a kit,and it gave me the wrong one.not even for a carter carb.i have no idea what it fits.so of course i opened the packaged before i noticed,and they wont take it back??
    im about to use a used one.damn.i got 2 kits for the same carb at the same time.one had the right one the other didnt.is there anywhere i can just buy the acc. pump?
    oh yeah apperantly they dont make throtle balls either. [​IMG]
    eric

2. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

What are "throtle balls"?

3. purple

purple

<font color="purple"> I got the right kit for a Carter on the 64 Dart (car gone, unused carb in storage). They have a website, Franklin Auto Parts. </font>

4. Crestliner

Crestliner

I have some NOS Carter parts and believe pumps, but have no idea the one you need. If you can do some measuring might be able to help.

5. I went through physical therapy for my "throttle balls". Far superior to surgery..
    I have a Carter AFB that doesn't show up on any list when I run the stamped number. It's a mystery carb. I found it in a box in the rafters of my dad's shop..have no idea what of application. I'd love to get a kit for it.

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

You have to get out to these restorers types swap meets, the stuff is still out there.
    I was at one in MA last weekend and an old guy had about 300 carbs out. I picked up several Carter WCFB's and a few Rottenchester 4GC's plus another 9 94's. Prices were way low; didnt pay over $10 for anything.
    One guy had a bunch of rebuild stuff; from gaskets to zip kits to full overhauls. Prices ran $.50 to $5.

Also scored an original Rochester 2G/4G/QJ manual, dated 1971 for a big $2.

7. See if you can find an Auto-Electric specialty house.
    Most times these guys do tune-ups and know their stuff pretty well.
    They usually have a fair assortment of kits as well.
    And if not in stock, they may know where you can find one.

Older parts houses many times have the individual pieces still in stock.

We had - it just closed damnit - an old parts house here in town, bout 5 years ago I was able to buy spark plugs for a 32 Nash six. Out of 11 they had in stock.

8. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

hey thanks for all the help.it just gets preety bad when you cant order a accelerator pump for such a common carb.used to be you could get about anything seperate.crestliner ill send you a pic of the one i need.throttle balls you know. [​IMG]
    the tings that have a ball at one end and a stud and nut on the other.that you can hook your throttle linkage to.i dont want an assorted kit.just 2 of the same size.
    eric

9. orange52

orange52

I had a hard time finding rebuild kits for a pair of carters I have. I got them from a friend who didn't know what they came on and figured he'd never use them. Turns out they are a factory matched pair for 348 and 409 chevys. A local speed shop finally found what they are and got kits for me.

10. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

ACE Hardware has the Throttle linkage ball joints in their nut and bolt section. Napa also carries them. Try NAPA for the acc pump too. What's the dimensions? Might be the same as the WCFB's. I can get you the Kit # for them.

Mark

11. Gimme the numbers and i`ll run them through for ya.krazy dave

12. I happen to have a carter avs you can have cheapo. It`s in pretty nice shape too,. all it needs is the rear throttle blades re-installed[I bought it that way, thought it looked too good to shitcan].Alot of people think i`m nuts because i don`t throw shit like that out and then one day, here they come wanting something. Never fails. Let me know if you want the carb for $ [​IMG]30.00