Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to buy lift ?? 4 post... and what brand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BULLFROGG, Dec 1, 2010.

1. BULLFROGG

BULLFROGG
    from KY

I'm in the market to get a 4 post lift. I want one that will be durable and well built. It will be used for personal use( not up and down everyday in shop ) I am in southern Ky, and would like to get one from a place semi local if possible.
    let me know what you all have and use and a place to get one.
    Thanks,

I would also like for it to have the casters so I can move it around the shop.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have used Rotray brand for many years. Outfitted a new car dealership with them. When I retired and setup a personal shop I bought Rotray again. Both a two post and a a 4 post driveon. The Rotary 'Revolution' is the model name. Bought mine at the NSRA Nats (in Louisville) but they have Distributors all over the place. A Google search for "Rotary Lifts" should turn up something. They may cost a little more but they are very well made and that's what I like.

Ray

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I have a Bendpak from northern tools..free shipping

4. gsport

gsport

i've got a Dannmar four post... totally pleased with it. got it through costco.com with free delivery.. what i liked was it says it can be returned to any costco warehouse if not satisfied...

5. RAY With

RAY With

I bought a Gemini 7 years ago with no problems. I say as long as you try to get American made there safe. I have see several made over seas and nothing but trouble . I am in Texas and there distributor is in Cleburn Texas or was. I haven't had to contact them about any thing so it's one you can check with since they ship all over.

6. Sawmillman

Sawmillman

Dad just got a backyard buddy it has wheels to move it around.It's not together yet I'll post some pictures when it is.

7. John52

John52
    from SW Mi

They had me spec out a hoist at work and I also went with the Bend Pac 4 post from Northern Tool with the free shipping. I also ordered the rolling jacks which work great.
    I've changed engines as well as transmissions along with everything else you would use a hoist for and after 5 years I don't have one complaint.

8. 32ratsass

32ratsass

I've got a Backyard Buddy, 9000# hoist. I've used it for 7 years now, without one single problem. One "up-side" to this hoist is, IT'S AMERICAN MADE! Check out this link. http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

9. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Backyard Buddy
    They are made about 3-4 mile from my shop
    There are cheaper ones on the market but ,I've been to his shop and they are built stout and can have casters on them
    I know Larry and some of his workers ,all great people
    Made in USA with USA steel

Tony

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Go to your local muffler shop or tire store and ask them for the ph#ber number of their hoist service man. He will know where the best "4 sale" used ones are if you don't need ""new". I got mine that way, a brand name, 12 lb. rating and haven't had a single problem in 20 years, $1800 delivered and set up...........................

11. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

12. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I bought a superlift made in Mo. of the USA and I have already had to replace the pulleys as they used a short grip length bolt as an axle and the threads wore right through the pulley bushing since there is no way to lube the shaft or pulley bushing. Life time warranty but I had to cut out the welded in axle shafts and get new shafts but they sent me new pulleys. The pulley frayed the cable and I haven't got reimbursed for the cable yet.

13. metal man

metal man

Real happy with my seven year old Backyard Buddy.I've built a lot of cars on it and never a problem.Like someone said above ,made in USA with USA steel. One of my favorite features is that they personally delivered it AND set it up for me for a very reasonable fee.Good warranty too,but you won't need it.

14. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

I have a Direct lift. Greg Smith is a dealer close to you. Good service and good lift.

15. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Backyard Buddy...period.

16. RodLand

RodLand

Another vote for Backyard Buddy.
    MADE IN U. S. A.

17. 31whitey

31whitey

MADE next state over...

MADE in U.S.A...installed by them.

This took much thought.

Sometimes this HAMB makes it to easy.

18. I have a Stinger,not sure if they are even around anymore. I bought it over 13 years ago and it has been good. I made my own jack bridges and I use 1/8" hard board pcs. for drip pans. It also came with a caster kit to enable you to move it around. But looking at what is out there today I think Backyard Buddy looks like the way to go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I bought a Bendpak four post hoist. US made and it has worked well.

20. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

thats genius !! :)

21. IBUILDM

IBUILDM

I have a Rotory Evolution. It has a 220 volt pump and will go from the low position to the highest position in 30 seconds. A 120 volt Backyard Buddy takes about 90 seconds to go from bottom to top. If you are concerned about speed you should check that out.

22. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

If you can afford it, get a Mohawk lift. Supposed to be the best. I have a 2 post in my garage. No problems in several years of heavy use.

23. Weasel

Weasel

Rotary hands down....

24. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Got an extended height Backyard Buddy 8 years ago. Took about 4 hours to assemble it with hand tools and it's never had a problem. If you have the room, I recommend the extra height. I'm 6'4", and with it fully lifted, I can hardly touch the floor pan of the Road Runner. It's really nice to be able to stand fully erect while working on the brakelines and such. It was about $2400 back then.

25. Uptown83

Uptown83

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I have the 9000# Bend-Pak 4-Post which I purchased about eight years ago.

My only complaint is the way it was marketed. The dealer: AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE EQUIPMENT Click here: Car Lifts. Automotive Lifts. auto lifts. Motorcycle Lift. BendPak led me to believe that the Bend-Paks are made in USA. Not so! I even contacted Bend-Pak concerning ASE's mis-statement of facts.......to little avail. ASE still has 'Old Glory' waving on their website with the words

BendPak is one of the world's largest and most trusted car lift and
    truck lift manufacturers.
    Don't settle for a bargain lift

but it no longer says MADE IN USA.

27. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several of my friends and I have had Backyard Buddys for many years. When we bought them, there was no competition, as they were the only 7000 lb 4-posters that could be moved on casters WITH a vehicle. (And I do often!) They are brutes, not cheap, and made in the USA with US or Canadian high grade steel. There are other 4-posters today that look VERY similar to BYBs, and for good reason!
    Stay away from open channel uprights, or US built but with Chinese/overseas steel. Common sense should tell you a $1800 4-poster cannot be the quality of a $4000 hoist. Read and compare all the specs, and use common sense when buying a hoist.
    We drove to Ohio and picked up some of our BYB hoists, saving a bunch in shipping. Good luck. :)