Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where to buy distributor bushings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Feb 15, 2018.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I am trying to keep the 57 looking kind of like it would have been in the old days. I have the original 57 iron distributor ,the one with the oil cap on the side. I want to make it as good and reliable as possible and thought I would just put new bushings in it . Went to three parts stores and they couldn't help me. I'm not crowing on them I realize it isn't a fast moving part . A friend told me to send it away and have it done but the way things cost to ship anymore and the possibility of losing it ,well no thanks. Does anyone know where to buy them ? Will they need to be reamed after I install or will they be ok as installed? thanks from the old guy!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldolds

oldolds

Is there a bearing place near you?
    They usually sell bushings too.

3. Used to be able to buy distributer bushings about anywhere. I have found them @ places like NAPA but you almost have to take the counter guy by the hand. They are probably not going to show up in the computer.

I could not buy a u bushing for my Mallory not even from Mallory, they said that I would have to be one helluva machinist to be able to install it. So I told tge guy, "Yea? So what's your point?" Mine was a little trickier because of the tach drive, the bushings had to be align bored for the tach dive to work properly and I ended up making my own.

Most standard distributers you just press the bushing in like you would the nose cone bushing in a starter.

let me look around a little bit and see if I can find something for you.

OK Call Summit Racing. PM if you need the number.

4. I would bet that Jim @GMC BUBBA could tell you about the bushings and where to get them or he may have them

tierod likes this.

5. Joe...I was able to buy some brass clutch/brake pedal bushings at NAPA in Bellevue 2 weeks ago. Gave the counter guy the dimensions and he found some IHC piston pin bushings that worked. Even so, I'd go with Precision bearing in Omaha.

6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

More trouble than its worth. Like some of the other stated if you dont have the equipment its a tought job to install and ream to size. The 57 Cast Iron unit is pretty common and its very rare to need a bushing.... Let me know as i do have a bucket full of the 57s and could find you a perfect bushing etc.........The 55 56 is a different aniamal with special oil control ....

tierod, 283john and stillrunners like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Lately I'm inclined to re use as many old parts as possible. If a bushing is worn, I'll replace it, but if it's still working ok, I'll leave it alone, Not just in a distributor, but in many other parts of a car as well.

So yeah, listen to Bubba.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Send it off to Bubba and have him check it out, re-condition, and curve it for your application or have someone who performs this service local to you do it. It's the difference between "Runs good" and "Wow!!!" You'll thank yourself everytime you drive it. Can set it up yourself or learn no problem but depending on what your time is worth, it's a super value. The distributor is the "brains" of the ignition system and often overlooked.

tierod likes this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

We had them a CarQuest but I haven't worked there for about 10 years. O'reilly probably has them but the counter person will have to call the guys in Missouri and have them look them up. Someone with an old Standard Ignition catalog could find a number and most computer run stores can run an interchange. Oddly Auto Zone was started with tons of NOS parts and can find a lot if you can convince someone to search.

11. Joe H

Joe H

12. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Thanks I may just use it the way it is, thanks everyone.

13. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

I have used a punch to drive the lower bushing up about .050. to grab some new metal. Tightens things up slightly & made me feel better. Just a thought.

14. Oilguy

Oilguy

Try Chicago Corvette. They have helped me in the past with difficult to find ignition and carb components.