Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to buy and aftermarket radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1940 Willys Coupe, Nov 7, 2007.

1. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

My little 302 Chev. with Hilborn Injection is going into my Willys coupe this week. Will be needing a radiator soon. I know this is an age old question but I am looking for a company here in the US that can custom build me a radiator to fit my car.

I would also like a company that has a person I can speak with that can give me some advice on what I need.

Is aluminum or a steel radiator better for cooling?

Any help would be appreciated!

My whole car has been built with H.A.M.B. help. Thanks to all you guys who have replied to my questions. I doooooooooooooo enjoy this web site.

Gary

2. willys_truck

willys_truck

I had a 302 chevy in my 40 willys truck gasser, i used a stock V8 65 mustang radiator and it worked great and cooled the truck good also, You can get them cheap to!!

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Jegs has tons of radiators in stock...most of the radiator builders advertise in GoodGuy's Gazette...or the mags...or try Google...

There's pros and cons on either type of rad, aluminum or copper...and you'll get a ton of opinions here...

R-

4. guiseart

guiseart

yep - Mustang, Maverick

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Try American Gasser by Active Power Inc. They build reproduction Willys.

6. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

yup get one for a 65 mustang with a v8 i beleive they are about 140 from autozone

7. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Try radiators.com...

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

There's a shop here in NJ that CUSTOM builds radiators. I mean, totally custom, to your order, brand new brackets, tanks, everything but the core. Your choice of inlet and outlet size, and location, auto trans cooler, bungs for drains, or extras for electric fan sensors, whatever you want. you can even draw out a blueprint and he'll build it. 3 core, 4, 5, 6, whatever!
    Not cheap, but great stuff. I've had about 8 done so far from him, no complaints. Even did a full custom one for me for a 34 Terraplane with a hot SBC, grill brackets and all!
    Chuck at CARS (Custom Auto Radiator Service) 609-242-1500. Tell him Mark at Customs by Flash sent you!

9. tj

tj

Built a Willys PU used 65 Mustang V8 - $125. Moved the upper neck to the left side. Cooled good.

Attached Files:

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

unles you are opposed to ebay i buy a lot of them on there. a man makes aluminum ones and advertises them all the time, my aluminum one in my vicky was advertised as 32 ford radiator for chevy to 800 horsepower he gets 400 dollars they fit and work great very nice go to ebay search aluminum radiators willys or 32 ford and look at all he has .you will see them, a thought

11. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

why is it every post ask for a rad and every one says 64-whatever mustang then the next post says over heating mustang rad in xxxx car.

there are a few places to spend the money and brakes and motor cooling are them. yet most here will rather spend the money for the latest and best hubcaps and 3 x 2 intake for xxx motor and cob a ill fit rad that does not work.

12. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Thanks for the reply on the ebay radiator. Do you have the guys name and possible phone number. A reply would be appreciated.

Seen you guys race in Tulsa this year. Just Awesome!

Thanks!

Gary

13. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Steve Long on Gasoline Alley here in Indy can build it however is needed.
    Steve Long Custom Radiators
    50 Gasoline Alley Suite J, Indianapolis, IN 46222
    (317) 247-7605

They may be pricey but they are most likely the nicest radiators made.

14. get a U.S. Radiator catalog,(in Calif.) they have radiators (for all kinds of cars) drawn with dimensions and outlets shown; very reasonable also.

15. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

im running a 283 in my A coupe...i need a mustang rad for it also correct????

16. Black Primer

Black Primer

I went to my local radiator repair shop with dimensions, inlet ,outlet locations..., and they took one off the shelf, modified it, and it works fine. As long as they know what your trying to cool, they should be able to "make" one for you.