Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where theres fire, there is HOLY CRAP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Sep 21, 2008.

1. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

So, as you can expect, something went wrong trying to start the 58' today.
    I thought it would be pretty straight foward, pour gas into a metal pop bottel, just run the hose from the pump into it and crank it till it fed, then just run it for about a minute to time a little and shut off, i mean im running right out of the rams horns and all.
    so when THAT failed, got dad to pour a tiny ammount into the carb and i was in the car bumping it over, starts, Runs like a rabid dog and abruptly stops, does this about 3 times, we keep trying untill it starts up and runs smooth for about 10 seconds then again, just quits, so with the last of the gas poured in and me cranking theres a loud pop and dad jumps back, i ask him whats wrong and he just pipes, "FIRE!" as he runs by me, gas shot out of the carb and unsealed exhaust manifold to head gap and a bit of fire was on my engine, paniking a bit i did the silly thing and quickly let a hard breath on it and it went out. safe to say i will NOT be starting it again till either i have the Holly carb and edelbrok intake on it, or i seal the ehaust up and well actually have exhaust running back on it.
    dont need the one thing i have to show for myself sitting in a burnt lump in the driveway.
    Fun times.

2. squirrel

squirrel

When I worked at the junkyard years ago we'd run engines when the were sitting on dollies on the floor in the shop. Ran a hose from the fuel pump into a gas can, connected a battery to the starter and coil, and had at it. But the boss didn't have a sense of humor, he made us put the air cleaner on before trying to start them, every time.

3. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Heignsight, oddly always 20/20.
    best thing would of been wait till i get the new gas tank and hook it up that way, probally would have kept more gas then needed from going into the intake the way the human element did.

4. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

That's always good for a laugh when the grand kids ask why you have no eyebrows.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

might want to add a fire extingiusher to your "next time plan" lol

6. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

already have one sitting in front of the radiator for now. :)
    going to be mounting one unter the dash to. for when The bugs are getting wroked out.