Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where old hot rodders retire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Model T1

Model T1

Ryan thanks for letting us old farts ramble on about paradise. I know you are already there but some of us need to stay closer to our own families. I got some nice comments, or conversations, about my post. Thanks everyone and good luck finding your own retirement paradise.
    Some mention money, and lack of it. Others talk about homes all over the world and flying to get there. In the real world I don't know many who can afford to do that. Those with homes up north and down south don't have enough left each month to enjoy life wherever they are.
    No matter what happens or where we end up, the memories of old cars and old car guys will be with us until I get Alzhymers myself. At that time we can meet again and be new friends.
    As for you young whippersnappers, read our sad stories and then get your butts out in the garage and build some hotrods before your kids or your government take them away.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Denny, when are you leaving the Pan Handle? Hooters in PCB will miss you.

Model T1 likes this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'd be living in Prescott AZ but alas I have an aged mother in law that my wife won't leave so built a new retirement house and shop here in Nebraska. I've only visited Prescott but the climate is just right and the hotrod activity is unbelievable for a town it's size. Maybe someday?

da34guy likes this.
  4. Model T1

Model T1

HA! Our oldest son, wife, and new adopted baby just left Holiday Inn there today and stopped at Hooters and Moes bbq. I taught him to eat at the finest establishments.
    Somewhere I have pictures of my 55 Chevy wagon, my wife, and H(.)(.)ters finest there.
    I wanna stop up there at the Spudnut shop. Best donuts in the world.

5. trollst

trollst

Well. I did the opposite of most, I moved from a warm rainy place where I spent my work life (Vancouver B.C. Canada), to a little place three hours from the coast, Princeton B.C., been here five years, best thing me and Mrs Troll ever did. Yup, it gets cold, yup, it snows, the sun shines damn near every day, taxes and cost of living are very low, people are small town friendly and we live in the country where there are deer in the yard ( and a bear on the deck trying to get in twice this winter), sometimes cougar or lynx, shit that don't happen in the city. Rodding is big enough, the shop is warm all winter as are my buddies shops, 4 seasons , about ten days of 90-100 degree heat, about ten days of -20 or so. Paradise.

6. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Ha! Upper East Angelo, Wi!!

wingnutz likes this.
  7. $700 a YEAR taxes? ........$900 a MONTH here......i gotta move

lothiandon1940 and da34guy like this.
  8. Hell move here and that's $10,100 a year more ya can throw @ yer hot rods.

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. ..................Obviously Connecticut, much like Maryland, doesn't want anyone to retire there, unless you are filthy rich!:eek:

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Paying 4000 + dollars a year in house taxes here in Nebraska so Prescott is no shock. Also looked at southern AZ, just some place where it's not so dam cold!

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Kinda sounds like what they say about Mi. two seasons. Winter & July.

12. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

IMG_5582.JPG I grew up in Boston - do not go near it from December to March. Have lived in NC for 54 years (except for a couple of trips to Asia) & love it. This winter has been the coldest in memory but tolerable & it can get hot/humid in July/August but lots of car stuff to do. The beach is 2 hrs away & the mountains 4. And the "neighbors" are friendly!!

"I wasn't born in the South, but I 'got here as fast as I could!!"

Model T1 likes this.
  13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am partial to Tennessee also:)

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

There is still hope for you :)

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sounds good, at least on the surface. How old are the Hooters waitresses?

It was a bit nippy out in the garage at 7am today. I was going to head back in for a coat but then I thought of some of you guys back east and decided to tough it out. It was about 45F.

16. You guys who live in areas with such high taxes need to vote into office people who will correct that. Whenever I hear of high tax areas I think of government officials mismanaging money.
    But you often times get what you pay for. Alabama has low property taxes but we don't have a lot of government services. Just as I like it.:)

TagMan likes this.
  17. ^^^Yeah, it's just not as easy as it should be^^^^:(

i.rant likes this.
  18. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Blowby, 45 degrees is roadster weather here.

19. 73RR

73RR

I'm in Central Ory-gun. Cold and (usually white) in the Winter and a bit warm in the Summer but unlike the others who say to move to OR, I say, that unless you like living in a blue nanny state, stay away. Our most recent governor is likely going to jail for in-office indiscretions and the rest of those in charge can't seem to spend money fast enough on crap that isn't needed, wanted or useful....except for the those on the dole.
    The weather is quite nice in some areas but high property taxes (compared to southern states) and lack of industry just don't add up.
    I'm looking at the area around Abilene and San Angelo, maybe Safford, AZ. I have given up on the idea of staying close to family since I cannot control where they might move to.
    And, like some commenters, waaaay too much stuff to move, so there will be a big moving sale....it will save my wife from dealing with too much crap.......

20. jalopy45

jalopy45

But only 100 miles farther south in Ory-gun I bought a 3 bedroom house on 2 commercial lots for $45,000 and pay just under $700 a year in property taxes. I agree with 73RR tho, stay away!, too many new people would make our tax rate go up for services we don't need. :)

21. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

You might throw St. George Utah into your Hat (for consideration)-pretty awesome Weather, lots of National Parks close by, Vegas isn't far, reasonable Tax rate, and there is a lot of Car stuff going on in UT/NV/AZ that aren't really that far-of course, like most Western states, you don't have that darn humidity!

22. As 73RR said 3 post above

^^^ As an ex Oregonian, you can blame all the Government BS on the West side of the Cascades but what's worse is Ultra Blue immigrants are moving UP to the east side of the Cascades to get away from what they created in their state. At one time the most popular location for California expats was Bend.

If you want something going on EVERY weekend, bring a lawn chair and go to Fredericksburg Texas. Just park yourself on the sidewalk and surely a group of something will drive by.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

firengine103 X2. Texas Hill Country is a good choice. Re the Hooters in Panama City Beach, Fl it does get a little Nipply there at times.

wingnutz likes this.
  24. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

DONT FORGET SUNNY SOUTH LOUISIANA

25. rfraze

rfraze

St. George, Utah has or had a dragstrip.
    Trundle down the one way streets of Williams, AZ that are part of Route 66. Close to Flagstaff and Grand Canyon. Home of Grand Canyon Railway.

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

You don't retire from being a Hot Rodder, you are born and die like that! You retire from work.
    You want to relocate!
    I've always light Texas

Since California ain't a hot rod state no more, I would't live in New Orleans or any hurricane area.
    But that's just me.

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

Huh? :eek:
    I must have missed that memo ... When exactly did this happen? Last time I checked, there's still way more hot rods and customs here in California, than any other place on earth ... :rolleyes:

28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Sorry, I ment THE hot rod state. It more Prius 'es and Eco fuel. That's the rumor, at least.
    The HAMBers are spread over the whole USA, even further away. There should more then one Snowfree-state, including Florida and California

Sorry again if I heart your feeling.

29. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

What's anybody think about Idaho?

30. i think potatos.