Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where old hot rodders retire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Lots of Californians move to Minden/Gardnerville area of Nevada. this picture shows some IMG_0159.JPG who took a ride to Washoe Lake area on Valentines Day ( with their Ladies ) Feb 2011

2. 47ragtop

47ragtop

As you get older ,your family becomes the most important thing in your life. I have lived in Tenn all my life except my military time. We are considering moving 5 hours away to Mississippi to be close to our children and grandchildren in fact going this next week to look at another house. I have sold my cars and most of my parts but I still have my tools. I can always buy another 40 Ford coupe but I only have 1 family.

olcurmdgeon and Dick Stevens like this.
  3. Model T1

Model T1

For the rest of this post go back and read it.
    After 20 years here in the boonies of Florida, where we love it, we face the reality of old age. My wife has had dementia for years. So far it is only her short term memory. But it is changing and not for the better. She went thru a recent period where she could not walk. Still don't know why and with therapy is doing much better.
    Now I am having problems getting around and she is again doing the cooking, cleaning, and begging for rides to shop. What if her leg problems come back? What if she forgets why she went to the store?
    We have one son here who lives near. About all he is good for is to borrow money and mess up my garage when he stops to work on his crap. We have three adult kids and family back home in central Illinois and only a few old friends left. I hated the idea of a city lot again after having five acres with no one across the road. Yes only five acres. But lately it feels like 50.
    With great regret I started looking on this computerized thing at real estate back in Illinois. In a week I found exactly what we want and grabbed it with the help of my older kids doing the actual looking, wheeling, and dealing. Since Oct we've owned a furnished small home on a 1/2 acre lot with nothing behind but a farm field. Yes, in the city yet !
    Most ads I looked at did not have a garage. some didn't even have a drive way. At least I got an attached 20X20 garage and a small shed out back. Keep looking and hopefully you will find what you really want for what you can afford.
    To make it even better it's within two miles of two of our kids families and five from the few high school friends we have left. Two ex-co workers are within walking distance, as long as we can walk! Yes you can go home again. And for us we'll be walking down Memory Lane.
    As was written, just like our favorite old rusty cars, we also get rusty and need help moving around. Consider this before you move to paradice. By the way, there ain't no such thing as paradice. No matter where you go you have the weather, critters, and the government to contend with.
    We all can't afford two homes and all those other things needed to travel the world. A heater and AC in the old garage is a lot cheaper!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    55 Ford Gasser and pitman like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've trucked through 38 of the 48 states, and I've lived here in Bama 56 years. Other places are nice to visit, but Bama is home. We have some cold weather, some hot weather, some wet days, some dry days. Maybe 8-10 days of severe weather a year, not all at the same time. Not perfect, but enough of a change to not get boring. Snowfall is usually less than 6" a year, heat does get up in the 90's in summer, but life seems to move a bit slower in the south.
    As to the car stuff, we have cruise in's and shows 9-10 months of the year, no titles on vehicles over 35 years old, vintage tags are issued at 30 years, permanent tags, never pay again, low taxes, and probably best of all, no inspections or smog checks unless you live in Montgomery, Huntsville, and possibly Birmingham.

Out in the rural areas, nobody bothers you. Modest income and sales taxes, too.
    Not perfect, but home for me, always will be.

Model T1 and 56don like this.
  5. 59 brook

59 brook

try lake weir it is being designed around people retiring with toys

6. firingorder1

firingorder1

Don't move to California. Its full.

7. Of Fruits and Nuts !!!!!

8. I've actually met a lot of really nice guys that left the cold and snow and moved to the Sunny South. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

There are advantages and disadvantages to just about anywhere in the US. You've got to decide for yourself, just do lots of research so you don't "jump outta the frying pan into the fire"!
    One thing not mentioned is your home after you pick the area and town/city/whatever. Be very careful to know everything about homeowner's assoc. restrictions about working on your car, size of garage restrictions, etc. And especially about storing "inoperable vehicles". This stuff can turn what you thought was a dream home into a nightmare, especially if you get some asshole neighbor that thinks everybody should drive a Prius or the like. If they find some obscure ordinance that's got language to back them up, they can make a hot rodder's life miserable.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

My folks just retired this fall and are spending their 1st winter in Lake Havasu City, AZ. They LOVE it! there are LOTS of car people there! They didn't bring their car out this year, but may next year. They are renting this year, and plan to again next year. They are already talking about finding a place to buy or build in 2 years. They would keep a place back here for summer, and just spend Nov-May there. They say there are lots of MN, and WI people there. They said many of the bars have state theme days, where they play sports and stuff from different states where the snowbirds come from so they can meet new people, and catch up on their home teams.

11. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are lots of places under 100K in Inyokern CA, some under 50K. I found one of the later with 3. 5acres and built a shop on it. Home of the oldest running NHRA drag strip till a few years back. We have grown to love it. Best hardware store on the planet and 10 miles to all the popular auto parts, Home Depot, etc. Only downside is June through August when we go back to Alaska. Locals go to the nearby mountains or the beach. Taxes are cheap if you buy cheap.

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

NeedLouvers:
    'Bout like me wondering why some would need a heater...[/QUOTE]

Ya, but I know that you know better... :D .
    Marcus...

Oh, & for the rest of you guys: Thanks for the insights. I've been considering elsewhere & wondering about a lot of what is being discussed here. Just gotta figure out how to afford it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ahhhhh! The violent snakes are always more fun! 'Sides, we have other creepy crawlies too!

14. When I lived in the desert and saw creepy crawlies I learned to stay away from the sharp end.

need louvers ? likes this.
  15. We already have it... it's called HAMB.

16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

My wife complains because the parking lot at church is full of cars with MN license plates. o_O

Special Ed likes this.
  17. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yep ... your fruits, vegetables, and nuts (particularly this time of year) that you're eating for dinner tonight, virtually ALL came from California. You're welcome! :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Saxman, need louvers ? and wraymen like this.
  18. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

I'd like to get out of Jersey,I LOVE it here but it's just way too expensive and I've had it with the cold. BUT the thought of moving all MY stuff I'd need 2 tractor trailers just for my garage. is uncompromisable!! My sister just moved to SC and they make it REALLY tempting,low property taxes reasonable housing don't tax your SS or Pension. So in the summer you can't go out between 11 and 4(too hot) so that'll be nap time

19. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Agree, Had a buddy buy a get away condo in Florida. Figured he would leave his Harley there and be able to ride all winter. Trailered the bike down to Florida and within 24 hours of his arrival was notified motorcycles were not permitted on the premises. Had similar experience in a Florida beach front rental couple years ago. Drove my brand new $50k+ Ford F150 into the complex and was informed I had to park it outside the complex! But, 30 feet from where I was parked sat a 15 year old POS Honda with faded paint,one missing hub cap and 26 sq. ft.bumper of stickers on it. Condo bs not for me

59ratgasser, Model T1 and TagMan like this.
  20. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

My nephew and his wife just took off for S.C. as well. She found a nursing position in 48 hours and they are gone from New Jersey! Going to try it for six months and decide then whether to sell their house in NJ. When I moved from NJ I had to face the reality of not being able to take my shop with me. A very painful experience I might add. Gone were my brake, shear,roller,tig machine...painful, painful!

21. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Friend of ours had a good idea. He got two park model homes from Cabella's, the log type. Put one on a leased lot in NH, nice park on a lake and the other in a park in Florida on west coast by Venice. He has a sturdy locked garage on both lots. Does limit your stuff though but he and wife are disciplined about just moving their wardrobes and essentials twice a year. Maybe the best of worlds for someone who is older and has no desire to build another ride, just enjoy the one he/she presently has. And you have a foot in both worlds, not burning any bridges. Just a thought.

22. jalopy45

jalopy45

Needs Louvers must be using a new business model, getting all the rodders to move to Phoenix so they will have to get louvers punched in their hoods to keep their engines kool. :) If it wasn't so cheap to live where I am in south central Oregon I would be heading for Phoenix.

need louvers ? likes this.
  23. Very honest and sad story Model T1. I am glad things worked out for you and hope the best for the future.
    I will bet you $5 that your son in Florida follows you back to Illinois. We went through a simular situation with my in-laws.

Model T1 likes this.
  24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, I kid you not, it's called Chino Valley, Az.

Dammit, they're on to my evil plans for world domination via louvers...HA HA HA HA!

25. Grew up in So. Cal., spent most of my life in Oregon and now living very comfortable in Oklahoma. For what I would spend on a nice house in So-Cal or Portland area, I have a 20 Ac. parcel with two private fishing lakes and large home. Oklahoma has come a long way from the "Dust Bowl" days. Yes, even indoor plumbing in most homes now. Great weather, odds of getting hit by a tornado slim and easy drive into Baja Oklahoma (Texas) for all the great rod events there. Loved Oregon, but it's not the same as it was once was. Plus in Oklahoma, your half way to anywhere.

wingnutz, 73RR and da34guy like this.
  26. ...who mostly came from somewhere else.

Model T1 likes this.
  27. I am retiring to North Central Missouri. The house is paid for and country folks won't let you starve.

Unlike most folks I don't have much to fall back on and social security don't pay much. :oops:

If I could retire anyplace and health were not a concern I would retire to the north west coast, say between Mendocino Calif and Coose Bay, Ore. But that would take money that I don't have. if I had money that I don't have I would really need to retire to the high desert, my wife breaths easier in an arid climate.

I may eventually end up in Cave Creek, AZ. I may check it out later this year, I got friends there.

Model T1 likes this.
  28. About the same deal here, originally from So Cal, moved to the AZ desert for 15 years, then to Prescott AZ for 14 years, got tired of 5 ft snowfalls in the mountiansand $4000 yearly taxes). Moved to Southern OK 4 years ago (50 miles N of Texas, 1hr 20 min to downtown OKC), 5 acres with orchard, creek, 2 miles from down town 1800 sq ft home, 3200 sq ft shop all for under 125 K and less than $700 a year in taxes. Get a little snow (1/2 inches once or twice a year. gone in a day or so) Can B anywhere in the U S with in a 3 day drive. Lotsa plus's here. There is no perfect place, ya just gotta make it work 4 you. Everything is OK in OK

29. LOL We bought our retirement place in '10, it was so cheap that we couldn't find a bank to finance it so we refinanced the wife's '05 Silverado to buy it. Yep it snows there and sometimes a bunch, but if its paid for you can lock it up and leave for the winter, right? :D

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I just sent you a message on Oklahoma. :)
    Larry.