Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where is the cheapest place to buy Front and Rear Spring for a Model A???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robert_t_wallace, Dec 9, 2009.

1. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

Anyone suggest the cheapest place to buy Front and Rear Springs for a 1931 Model A??? Will be a roadster build

Also would like some opinions on what springs you like..(Front and Rear) Would like a good stance for a Roadster...Front Axle is a 4" drop...

2. 3kross

3kross
    Alliance Vendor
    from Adrian, MO

There's only one good place to buy springs thats Posies Rod & custom, They make the best springs out there.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've always had good luck with Speedway Motors.........I've used monoleaf front spring a few times and never had a problem,plus you can adjust ride height........But, I'm sorry to say, you will hear negatives on both Speedway and monoleaf on this forum...

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Try your local spring shop, they can usually make each spring leaf pretty cheap!

5. You beat me to it, most spring shops have a directory that has the specs for almost any spring ever made for any application. To them it's just a spring, not a "hot rod part".

6. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

Emailed Posies Rod & custom and having them send a catalog..

Thanks!

7. I thought you wanted a "cheap" place to buy from.....
    your local spring shop is the cheapest....Speedway next....

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

It's true, they do make nice riding springs, but they're definitely not cheap and they don't look like old ford springs. I had one on the front of my last hot rod and my current project came with one too. I think the cheapest place aside from a swap meet, would probably be here the classifieds. I bought a perfect original T rear spring for my roadster at Hershey this year for $25...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posies!

Depending on what you're doing you could just use stock springs. Someone GAVE me a rear Model A spring and that's what I run now. You can get them cheap and remove/add leaves as needed.

10. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Buy them from Vaphead, he can get what you need.

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I got my front spring from a swapmeet, I think I paid $10 for a real 1932 front spring, and then I reversed the main leaf myself.

The rear spring I found on Craigslist, I think I paid $40 for it? Original 1941 Ford rear spring. Pulled a couple leaves out of it, my Model A rides like a dream!!

I bought another Model A front leaf spring at a swapmeet for $20 not too long ago, just planning for the next build.

12. zzford

zzford

Check your local trailer supply. They have a large variety by sizes and weight. Cheap, too.

13. robert_t_wallace

robert_t_wallace

I do want cheap... I also ordered the Speedway catalog...

14. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

speedway is the walmart of hotrods...