Register now to get rid of these ads!

where is my 53 Ford custom? Found!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ss34coupe, Nov 5, 2007.

1. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I owned this customized 1953 Ford convertible from 1971 to 1977. It had rolled pans front and rear, frenched headlights and 59 Cadillac taillights. It ran a Chevy 283 and four speed trans. I have owned a lot of cars, but miss this one the most. So lately have been trying to track it down. I was in Kamloops, B.C. when I had the custom, and I hear it may have gone to the Kelowna, B.C. area. Anybody know where it is now? It is a long shot, but I sure would like to find out.

FOUND!!! Car has been located!! Went to see it today, and it has unfortunately deteriorated to the point where it is now a major restoration project. I guess after 30 years that is what I expected, but I always hoped someone kept it in a nice warm and dry garage. Not the case.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

any HAMB'ers from BC out there know where this candy blue convert is now?

3. Got a pic from the rear. My buddy in Nanaimo may own it. Pat.

4. Found a pic, is this the one? Pat.
    [​IMG]

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Car has been found!! Unfortunately, its now a major project. Went to see it and was saddened to see its current state, but thats the way it goes. Anyway, the hunt was fun, and through this board the car was found.

6. you saved it though,right?

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I will have to think about whether I want to add it to my project list.

8. joebuick

joebuick

it is a sweet ride though and how cool would it be to restore your own old kustom

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Bought back my old custom - it was 31 years ago that I sold it. Now it needs a major restoration, but I will spend the time and money to bring it back to its former glory. Here's how it looks now.

Attached Files:

10. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

GREAT!!!! That thing could be driving in a few weekends. Get to work!!!!

Cool to find something like that....

11. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

good luck..its cool you found it after 31 years..do it proud and take it back to its former glory it deserves it

12. williebill

williebill

Glad you bought it back..sellers remorse sucks,even after all that time..if you hadn't bought it back,you might have kicked your own ass for the next 31 years

13. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Very cool are you gonna build back exactly how it was or are you gonna put a new twist on it?

14. vein

vein

wow! that sucks when you find all the hard work that you put into a car, has been torn to apart by some bozo!

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The journey these old customs go through is always something that saddens me. I try to imagine each step of the deterioration.

1. I'll keep it just like new in the garage

2. I'll move it outside for just today

3. I'll keep it under this tarp and It'll be fine

4. I need that starter for my new ride.

5. I'll get a new tarp next week

6. Just push it out back

7. No, I dont wanna sell it, I'm gonna fix it up someday

8. How's 500 bucks sound?

Last edited: May 10, 2009
    oliver westlund and 49ratfink like this.
  16. All of the above correct except for the 500 bucks. Since the owner now knows someone has history with the thing, the price is 5000 bucks.

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

haven't decided yet, but I will probably try to make it the way it was, with a few updates. The body was heavily modified, but the front and rear suspension were left stock. My early thoughts are to lower the front end by flipping the spindles side for side and maybe take a coil out, and use lowering blocks on the rear. Probably use a 302/auto, 8 or 9 inch rear. Discs on the front. When I got the old car back, it came with a hardtop 53 parts car, so most of the missing parts are there.

18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Came up with an earlier pic of this custom. It was built in the early 60's, and had 56 Olds taillights. Later, frenched 59 Cadillac taillights were used. Work on the rebuild continues, it is in the disassembly and cleaning the parts stage now, as well as collecting all the parts it will need - have got a lot of the body repair panels, and just picked up four 59 Caddy taillights.!!

Attached Files:

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

that is super cool man. Best of luck bringing it back to it's former glory, it's a beauty

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Cool story...look forward to seeing it rebuilt!!!

21. 00 MACK

00 MACK

22. Hey, this is great. I love it, stay on it and keep us posted. What a cool story!

23. Thanks for the update, and keep them coming. I am so sick of all the other " look what I found" stories that are never updated. Best of luck.-MIKE:cool:

24. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

here is another early pic, showing the 56 Olds taillights. The nerf bars were made by bending axles and chroming them!

Attached Files:

25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Progress has been slow on this rebuild, but here are a couple of pics to show the car is still in the garage. All the sheetmetal and frame have been media blasted. I installed a 57 Ford rearend on Jamco leaf springs, and have their coils and disc brake kit up front. Otherwise the front end is stock. Am in the process of rebuilding the floor, as most of it and the rockers were rusted away.
    Have collected all the patch panels, so hopefully in the not too distant future it will start to look like a car again.

Attached Files:

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  26. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

It will be cool to see it back like it was before you sold it. I am looking at your photos from today and can't figure out what kind of taillights will be used. Keep us posted.

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks for the comments. The tallights are 59 Cadillac.

28. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hang in there. This one is definitely worth your effort. Do you know how many guys want their old car back and never find it?

OLSKOOL57 and volvobrynk like this.
  29. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

cool nice to see old stuff coming back

30. Awesome on the find. Keep us updated on the build. Good Luck