Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where have all the Mopars gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sckracing, Sep 30, 2009.

1. brandon

brandon

been about 17 since i did mine....seemed like back then you had to know someone that knew someone , just to get anything. x's or j's or t/a's...273 rocker assemblies.......all that fun stuff. :D even had a 340 six pack, but never got it on the car. :rolleyes: went into the 440 stuff , not as bad as the sb stuff , but still the same deal . finally got smart and went back to the tried and true .:eek:

2. hot74roadrunner

hot74roadrunner
    BANNED

you can alot of power for resonable price if you know what to use you need to use a steel crank small block mopar under 1972 i think look on google and type in search the entire craigs list go to search multiple citys and catagorys type in mopar small block you will find what your looking for to get alot of power for cheap is find a 360 steel crankshaft if you can find your self some 10to 1 piston with free floting wrist pins you can find these cheap if you look hard enough you can use the 318 rods shorter rods awsome power look on craigslist or moparts.com and find your self a nice set of 1969-1971 340 x code heads you can find these all done resonable 3-800 bucks ready to bolt on you need a mopar perf purpule camshaft 509/509 lift 292/292 duration new with lifters under 200 bucks this should work perfect with the 340 heads find a torker intake they are all over the place for 50-100 bucks use 750 holley double pumper with street size jets headers and 3500 stall tourqe converter around 250 bucks and you will have a badd ass mopar small block cheap the mopar guys will not tell you this becuase they always want you to buy some junk for crazy money they wont ever use becuase when they see a person new to this stuff THEY

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  3. hot74roadrunner

hot74roadrunner
    BANNED

you make can alot of power for resonable price if you know what to use you need to use a steel crank small block mopar under 1972 i think look on google and type in search the entire craigslist go to search multipul city and catagorys type in mopar small block you will find what yuor looking for to get alot of power for cheap is find a 360 steel crankshaft if you can find you self some 10to 1 piston with free floting wrist pins you can find these cheap if you look hard enoughyou can use the 318 rods shorter rods awsom power look on craigslist or moparts.com and find your self a nice set of 1969-1971 340 x code heads you can find these all done resonable 3-800 buck ready to bolt on you need a mopar perf purpule camshaft 509/509 lift 292/292 duration new with lifters under 200 this should work perfect with the 340 heads find a torker intake they are all over the place for 50-100 bucks use 750 holley double pumper with street size jets headers and 3500 stall tourge converter around 250 and you will have a badd ass mopar small block cheap the mopar guys will not tell you this becuase they alwas want you to buy some junk for crazy money they wont ever use becuase when they see a person new to this stuff THEY WILL TRY TO GET YOU FOR $$$$

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Same here. I would rather pay more for my Mopar than have just another cookie cutter SBC or any Chevrolet for that matter.

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

I started out on Chevys (SB and BB) back when i was a teenager in the 80's (because thats what my old man raised me on ),then had a short affair with Ford Windsors ,now i have finally made my way to Mopars .From what i have gathered from researching and owning each ,is that most people go with Chevys because the parts are cheap ,very interchangable and easy to work on.The small block Ford deal has evolved from the Mustang craze of the 80's .Most Chevy and Ford guys stay away from them because its all greek to them (or so they think) ,and use the cost more thing as a reason to stay clear of them.In fact they are not really that much more to build than the others ,if you know where to look for the parts.I myself think outside the box ,a block is a block ,a rod is a rod ,and a piston is a piston.Any overhead valve engine can be built to make good power regardless of the make .Anyone that tells you one is better than another because of what make it is ,is pretty narrow minded IMO. Now back to the main topic .Bigger is better on CU when it comes to small blocks that make power and stay together for along time.My 2 cents says opt for the 360 over a 318 and get your self a good set of heads ,and up the compression to atleast 9 to 1.Mopars are still very popular ,but these guys are more of a close nit bunch .Check out Forabodiesonly and Moparts ,both these websites are goldmine of knowlage and lots of used hipo parts to be bought right for the LA motors .Good luck on your Mopar ...

6. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

It's all in what you want, 318 is a good Reliable cruising motor. If you want hot rodding 340/360 combo would be better.
    IM satisfied with my 318 besides, can't tell it from a 340/360.
    [​IMG]

7. I managed to pick up a low mile 72 .30 318 motor 300.00, swap meet purple cam new in the box with lifters 150.00, LD4B edelbrock intake 75.00, 650 edlebock carb overstock item 100.00, bigger valves in the heads 300.00, windage tray 25.00, gaskets, headbolts, timing chain and oil pump from Mancini racing 275.00, wires, cap, coil and pertronics 150.00.....
    About 1500.00 and it has been running for the better part of ten years, with several out of state trips..............

8. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

When do I get my Hemi? All I've got is a 383 and a 5.2 magnum

9. How did it cost three grand to build a 300 horse 318?
    Good Lord,,,,thank goodness I can do all my stuff myself,,(other than the machine work).

Yes,,I own a ton of engines,,,including two Hemi's!
    Tommy

10. MoparBruce

MoparBruce

Unless you're driving around a 3500 lb car, 175 horse should be just fine. Any late 60's 318 (with a 4 bbl) would get you an easy 300 horse with a decent cam (484/284 with 3 degree kit), a cheap set of headers, and a decent intake for about 600-700.00 and run dang near forever. Hell, with just a bit more work, my slant 6 got 315hp. Ran like a scalded rabbit. Keepin that thing on the road was like trying to keep my ticklish 5 year old in a chair.

3 grand? You could've built 3 good motors for that much. Yikes!

And yes, I have more than 1 hemi/ more than 1 413/ more than 1 440 - but I also have more than 1 350

11. Ok,,Ok,,,I will admit it,,yes,,,I buy all the old Mopar engines I can find.
    I have 4-383's,,,6-440's,,4-400's,,,1-426 wedge,,,and 2 Hemi's,,,,(1-426, and 1-291 Desoto).
    I'm sorry,,it's all my fault!!!,,,,just kidding.
    I bought most of them because,,believe it or not,,,some were actually gonna be thrown away.
    I can't understand that logic,,,I am now gonna start picking up the old Mopar small blocks I can find.
    And yes,,I have numerous cranks ,,heads and all the other parts.
    I have about double the cranks and triple the number of heads.

Tommy

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  12. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

RACING...man didn't you know a 318 is mopars nothing engine. you could have gone to any late model salvage yard, and picked up a late model HEMI for less. if it's the traditional thing your worried about, just never mention your mill. sorry my brother, my bad! 1 should allway's respect anothers rod and decisions...POP.

13. I have a couple of early 60's slant sixes and a lonely chevy 230 six that needs a home......

14. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Us Mopar guys are compulsive hoarders...it just kinda goes with the territory. We buy stuff on the cheap just because it's there...so when it comes time to put something together, we've usually got all the bits and pieces stacked up in the shed or down in the basement.
    As for the 318 vs. 360 thing...yeah, the 360 is an excellent engine and I've got a couple of them myself, but there's alot to be said for a 318. 'Teens are cheap or free for the taking...and amazingly bulletproof, and because of these virtues you can really play with them with little consequence. Grind away, mix and match, spin the mess to 7 grand till it pukes, and then slip another 25 dollar shortblock under all the expensive stuff and start again.

15. Godspeed

Godspeed

The best article that I have found on building a Mopar LA 318 is here:
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/4bbl.html
    Basically it says to put the 360 valves into the 318 head and run the 340 purple camshaft for the best bang for the buck. I would add a windage tray as well.

For the truly crazy guy with his own machine shop.
    Junkyard Jewel:400hp 318
    http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/index.html

I find 318 parts everywhere, but I have to admit mostly e-bay. It takes a couple of weeks to find some stuff (like the crankshaft and waterpump pulleys that will allow me to run the high mounted bus style alternator to fit under a imaginary hood line on my 34 Plymouth). I have a one car garage and do NOT horde stuff (because I can't), although I am guilty of the 354 hemi for someday...

I ran $40 Cal Custom Valve covers, $90 Edelbrock intake, 2 $15 Carter BBD's with a home made progressive linkage, and a $80 adapter. I just bought a NOS Mopar alternator (not shown) for $25 +$15 shipping on e-bay, and the alternator brackets that go with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  16. yep...I'm a horder...and been a crusher a time or two since I was 15...and now at over 50 - you just dont see mopar stuff - it gets crushed to save a chevy or ford- unless your there and save it - but there's always money involved to do it...run that old 318 until it dies - it'll take a while - then build up a 360 or....my pennies worth...

17. Godspeed

Godspeed

From a guy with a Ford Mustang. Obviously he has not priced a hemi lately). If you would like to build a Mopar, I highly recommend it. Even a 318 Mopar. If you want a Ford, then build that, but it will not be a unique (see post above). Whatever you do, have fun!

18. Hey Godspeed, you are full of helpful info.... so would you guys recommend using a mopar alternator on a fairly stock 318??? Or should I use a GM one wire, for ease of installation????

19. Godspeed

Godspeed

Actually, I have a GM one wire in now. It has some real ugly brackets that I had to use to mount it in the right spot. It also is longer (pulley to back) than the Mopar unit.

Using a one wire has some issues too. You will have to rev the engine to a certain speed before the alternator can start charging (the field needs to be generated before it will work). I forgot to do this one time and turned on my headlights. The load popped the fuse to the headlights. I don't recommend a one wire. If you have the choice, I would not use a one wire (but many do). See this website for the reasons why NOT to use a one wire: http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire.shtml

I am going to use the Mopar "square back" alternator with a external "flat-pack" regulator. The square back gives you 60 amps (or greater depending on the model year), and with the fins it is the coolest looking of the alternators. Mopar was first with mass produced alternators in 1960, so it still gives that "traditional hot rod look". The flat pack can be hidden for years of trouble free service. I was able to order the flat pack and the triangle voltage regulator pig tail from Pep Boys. Here is more information on mopar alternators:
    http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

I also had to shop for the pulleys to make the 318 LA alternator bracket for the "bus" position (so it would fit within the hood-line of a '34 Plymouth). For more informtaion on the "bus" engines go to http://www.allpar.com/fleets/buses.html . Note that there are different alternator brackets, water pump pulleys and crankshaft pulleys for '69 and earlier iron water pump versus '70 and later aluminum water pumps (whether you use normal or "bus" position alternators). If you use the "bus" position, you will need the double pulley because the water pump has less belt on it. If you want more info just let me know. The "bus" picture for a LA 318 is below and shows the high mounted alternator:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  20. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

I have gotten 3 318 polys and a 413 for free in the past 6 months! I also know where many big blocks are! PM me if you want some phone numbers, im in San Luis Obispo

21. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I just had a 318 given to me. It came from a 70 Satellite. It has Mopar Performance valve covers, Offy intake and headers. It ran real well in that big heavy car. Look for torque rather than horse power. Put a 2500 stall converter in it to get into torque band sooner. You'll be very happy. Also, most engines don't really show the stated HP unles they've been gone through and made factory perfect. Bill

22. you have to watch this guy he drives ford but builds mopars, and he is under the age of 25 shifty I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. HAHA!!! Hes actually got a big ol dually Diesel Ram thats close to brand new, I talk to him quite a bit and have yet to see him in a Ford.... His last name is Hudson and hes got a garage in Rogue river full of em.

24. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

what? You don't have a 350?
    Rebecca

25. Desoto291Hemi,
    You are my HERO! I have two complete running 383's, but they are both in cars, one my driver and one my running parts car (I got free by the way).

26. Where to start. ok Hotrod said the 318 A motor was the perfect mill to build for the displacment lets see 410 hp without a new crank !
    I had a dart that ran low 12s all day long and drive home at 45 MPH on pump gas nothing motor? Take that late hemi and use a carb and you have a dog, still beat a stang, JOKEING!!!!!!!!!!! not personal just fact!

27. 66 Newport,,thanks for the kind words.

Rebecca,,,I am sorry I don't have a 350,,,,however,,,I do have a 1966 327,,,,cool old engine.
    We got it in an old pickup,,,,the engine was originaly in a Impala ,,I think?
    We plan to pull the engine and scrap the truck,,,very rough old truck.
    I started in Chevy's,,but switched to Mopar years ago,,,I have sold off most of my Chevy parts through the years.

Since this was a Mopar thread,,I only told my mopar stuff.

Tommy

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  28. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Perhaps she was talking about the one year only (1958) 350 B motor?

29. storm king

storm king

I'm not having any problems finding all kinds of Mopar stuff on eBay, and I suck at searching.

30. Whitepunk,,

Sorry,,,that one completely slipped my mind.
    I just naturally assumed she meant chevy,,most people do.
    My fault for not thinking,,,,,as usual,,lol.

Tommy