Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where do you purchase your electrical wire from...(10-22ga)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hkopp, Jan 23, 2019.

1. hkopp

hkopp
    from Boise

Curious where everyone buys their electrical wire from...anyone found some decent outlets online with good wire at a decent price? Rather than buying at Autozone or Lowes, I'm looking to build a decent supply in my shop for future projects...hoping someone will chime in with some new resources.

Thanks!

2. theboss20

theboss20

Del-City Wire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Del City and Sherco Electric for wire, terminal, relays, etc

4. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I pull the harnesses from '50s-'60s GM cars & use it ...

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the last 100 ft rolls I bought came from Amazon.
    I've got in the habit of buying the color coded 4 or 7 wire trailer wire to do the runs from the dash area to the tail/stop/turn lights. It's just a cleaner way to do it and the truck shop (semi) have rolls of it that look like welding cable on the outside.

stanlow69 and Frankie47 like this.
  7. I use Terminal Supply Company, this is the same outfit that we use at work. Very high quality stuff and they also have terminals, connectors, and all kinds of electrical supply items for the transportation industry. It’s the kind of catalog where you open it up and would like to have several of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boryca likes this.
  8. Rebel sells wire if you want wire that is coded fwiw. I did a custom install and got short/long runs from them to fit the install with all the wires coded for their individual purpose.

Texas Webb likes this.
  9. Eric GILROY

Eric GILROY
    from GILROY CA

I noticed when wiring my last car, most of the primary wire you see in the local auto stores is copper clad aluminum wire. even the complete wiring harnesses you get from speedway motors and the others are the cladded stuff. some times you have to read the small print on the packages. or they don't even say any where. It still seems to solder ok. But I still prefer copper.

Truck64 and Elcohaulic like this.
  10. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I buy a lot of my stuff from Aircraft Spruce. It's more expensive (because FAA regs) but worth it. Aviation wire generally has a higher strand count than what you'll find anywhere else, and that helps significantly if you're looking for weight savings with the same current carrying ability.

Using that wire and this chart yields superb results.
    [​IMG]

Note this is intermittent flow. There's another one for continuous flow, but I can't find it online...

Gman0046 likes this.
  11. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I get mine from a local wholesale electrical store through a friend of mine. Good wire and much cheaper.

12. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

Rhode Island Wiring sells cloth covered wire and a lot of hard to find terminals riwire.com

Cycle Terminal specializes in 60s motorcycle stuff, but a lot of it crosses over to cars - bare crimp terminals, wire sheathing/tubing, relays, etc. cycleterminal.com

Napa used to sell the asphalt tubing but I haven't checked in a while...hopefully they still do.

Mouser Electronics also has a huge variety of terminals, plugs, etc.

What I'd really like to find is someone who carries multi-color wire like the OEMs use. I've found a few colors on Amazon but its hit and miss.

EDIT - just did some searching and came across some on Ebay. Made my day!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-AWG-GXL-HIGHTEMP-AUTOMOTIVE-POWER-WIRE-8-STRIPED-COLORS-25-FT-EA/302887167920?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=78923c21890b4650a54b0325f32738ea&pid=100005&rk=6&rkt=12&mehot=pp&sd=302959747629&itm=302887167920&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

EDIT2...found another source with a big selection of solid and striped wire in several gauges. Looking forward to giving them a try.

https://4rcustomswire.com/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  13. williebill

williebill

Yet another valuable post with a good question, and valuable answers. Thanks, Folks.

14. I am lucky I know where there is an electrical supply house. I walk in buy a spool of a case of spools of whatever I want. I am color blind (maybe) so my wires are usually all the same color and numbered.

I learned a trick, every year (actually fiscal year) businesses like that want to diminish their supply of stuff. What is in stock gets taxed. That is the very best time to buy stuff in bulk. I have a case of 14 gauge in the garage now that I got for a song. They needed it to not show in inventory and I was standing right there.

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Ben, you musta wired my '32 coupe back in the day....probably 90% of it was in green wire o_O.

16. LOL you mean gray.
    I don't remember which company it is but one of the wire loom companies has the function of the wire printed the entire length of the wire. I think its cool.

17. These folks have a terrific selection of cloth covered and vinyl covered wire of all gauges as well as Packard 440 wire and Rajah clips. Nice folks to do business with, too.

brillman.com

18. evintho

evintho