Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where do you buy 348 parts??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by adamshumard, Oct 31, 2013.

1. adamshumard

adamshumard

I am in the process of building a 348. I am having a really hard time finding aftermarket internals. Where can I get a good set of .030 over pistons? What about other parts, internals, valve covers, intakes??

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Venolia made a custom set of pistons for my 348. I had to send them one of the originals to use as a copy. There was a big question as to the piston pin height. Venolia had one measurement. Factory Chevrolet specs had a different one, and my original pistons had a third measurement. They went with the specs from my original pistons.

This was in about 2002, when very little was available for these engines. There actually are many parts that interchange between 348's / 409's and both small blocks and big blocks.

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

4. adamshumard

adamshumard

????

5. 2racer

2racer

check the classifieds on this site

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

http://www.dr409.com/

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You can check with the guys at 348 409 forum.

8. Pistons were one of the problems with the W motors. They were very heavy. You can find aftermarket rods and other internals that will fit 348s from the BBC/SBC motors. It all depends one what kind of money you want to spend and what type of motor you want to build. Bob Walla is also a good guy to talk to.

www.409raceparts.com

Dustin

9. yes ask the boys over on the 348-409 site as they rebuild a lot of these engines. There have been horror stories with some of the manufacturers on parts. you can get the straight dope over there for sure.Jim in Canada or Ronnie in Tx are ones I would ask.

10. adamshumard

adamshumard

Thanks guys. Anyone heard of egge? Worth a damn?

11. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Lamar Walden Automotive In Doraville GA. (770) 449-0315 they also have a website.
    Lamar and his son Rob are the masters of speed parts for these engines they have developed blocks, intakes and many other parts.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Try that auction site we all know and love, you can even get a complete stroker kit. Several vendors selling. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Try Tony Schaffer at Day Automotive in Independence Mo.

14. Egge has messed with some of our forum members. One I remember is an Olds 324 rebuild and they screwed up his order and would not work with him to fix it.

15. Larry T

Larry T

I got most of the parts for the 3 Ws I've built lately from Show Cars (link on 348-409.com). Some of the parts are interchangable with small block or big block parts, but Show Cars isn't really out of line on there prices, even for these.

I'd spend the extra bucks on lightweight, forged pistons. I know they're pricey ($600.00+), but worth it in the long run.

16. BSL409

BSL409

(Stay away from Lamar Walden !!! )

also Egge is cast pston not all that good

Aubrey,

Jack Gibbs 409 chevy performance

http://www.409chevyperformance.com/Parts - 409 Chevy Performance.html

Show cars Automotive

17. There is a left and right piston, ShowCars or Dr. 409 the same person does not know that, after sending two sets back at my cost I called EGGE and asked them what they know about 348 pistons, the first thing they told me was there is a left and right, should have ordered from them first, it would have saved me $60 in wasted shipping, I'm still mad.

18. Tom Kochtanek

Tom Kochtanek

Here is an entire thread (discussion) on piston choices for the Mighty W: http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/409-piston-manufacturers.24599/

Might have to cut-n-paste that if it's not a hot link.

First you need to think about what you are going to use that 348 for. If it's just to drive around in and you're on a budget, think cast. If you're budget allows, or if you are performance oriented, move up to the forged piston. Lots of choices for forged (Diamond, Ross, etal). The difference is maybe $300 per set of 8 depending on your preference.

Lots of vendors out there (the ones above are manufacturers) including the aforementioned Show Cars. If you're looking for intakes and valve covers and such, check out Ebay, lots of aftermarket choices and lots of guys selling their stuff from down the basement :).

Good luck with that build!

Tom

19. Why do you say that?

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Egge has been around for years and still located in Santa Fe Springs, check them out.

21. Still curious about Lamar, my buddy was about to spend a bundle with him.

22. BSL409

BSL409

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dang that's a sad story.

24. x 2